Training: Distance or time

General chat and questions go here

Re: Training: Distance or time

Postby KidStardust » 13 Jan 2010 14:11

interesting ewan. was chatting to a guy at the track on monday who had a brand new suunto watch on. said it rates the training session in terms of impact (?) to allow comparisons to be made between sessions. not sure how, or even if can be done realistically. sounds like the devils works to me.
KidStardust

Postby Jellybaby » 13 Jan 2010 14:26

Yeah, the t4c and t6c have a "training effect" function. It rates your workout out of 5 based on your HR/time, etc.

There's also a coach function which tells you how long to exercise for at what intensity, and when to have a day off. I don't use it as I'm doing as I'm told by Mr Fink, but it seems like it's be quite useful if you weren't following a specific plan.
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Sir Conehead » 13 Jan 2010 18:16

Jules wrote:
Just to raise a tiny issue. If you run a loop for a set amount of time you can see if you are improving by looking whether you can go further in the time. Surely you can still do this for distance? If you are improving your times for a set distance would come down.

very true - but for me as I only do LD I want to cover more distance, so time means my distance increases as I get fitter.

Horses for courses and all that.
Sir Conehead

Postby gingertri » 13 Jan 2010 21:20

i always go by time, but i suppose i guess at how long the distance may take and most of my routes i know the distance of, but 30secs off feels good, but an extra 200m, means nowt really!
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to General Discussion