Protein drinks - when ?

General chat and questions go here

Protein drinks - when ?

Postby Bendy Ben » 11 Jan 2010 17:26

When is is best to take onboard protein ( in drink form)

Pre, during or post exercise. Pre or post sleep, pre, during or post food.

Does it matter and does anyone have any advice on what they use if at all.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Protein drinks - when ?

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 11 Jan 2010 17:52

I always thought they were better post (not that I can use them anyway :( )

There is a guy that claims to be nutritionist and coach when he's not flying around the world, think he posts on the 220 forum though. ;) :D :lol:
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby Rice » 11 Jan 2010 18:31

I read somewhere a while ago that in a study where one group only took a pre workout shake and one group only took a post workout shake, those who only took it before gained greater results. So I guess that for best gains before and after would be good along with some carbs of course.
Rice
Site Admin

Postby hussler » 11 Jan 2010 21:25

I do protein shakes during the day as a meal replacement shake if im not training....

Ill do one after training if training.....

and if Iv had a mega hard day ill have one before bed with Milk instead of water as milk makes it a slow release.
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby moonshine » 12 Jan 2010 21:23

and are they useful after all excercise or should you only use once you've trained over a specific time?
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby jac » 12 Jan 2010 22:32

I've done before and after and now just do after.
The idea with before being that your muscles will be 'swimming' in available protein ready to help start repairing them straightaway - thus helping you recover quicker.
But to be honest I find necking a shake within ten minutes of finishing a training session does a decent enough job.
As Hussler mentioned you could go for a slow drip casein protein before bed if you've had a particularly tough session.
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby jac » 12 Jan 2010 22:37

Just to add I always have carbs in my protein shake..at a ratio of about 3g carbs to 1g protein.
I'm using High5 Protein Recovery at the moment - and, IMO, it has helped me more with recovery than SIS did. Certainly feel less sore.
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Conehead

Postby Bendy Ben » 12 Jan 2010 23:00

Thanks all

Conehead - can you get discounts on bulk orders for chocolate protein recovery stuff ? ?
Bendy Ben

Postby Sir Conehead » 13 Jan 2010 07:31

I think we still get 48% off RRP for EAS no matter how much or little you order, you just have to pretend to be me.

Any of you can contact PAS (Pro Athlete Supplementation) and tell them you're part of the BCTTT massive and mention me.

Scientific studies are not as you might imagine as definative as they may seem. I harp on about this in my latest rant in the club mag, remember a study is looking for 'statistical significance' in a result. So the average of the group has to be statistically significant. This means that one person's results can skew a study one way or the other.

IN my experience over last 5 year in particular, most of what I've seen happen in front of me is contradictory to what the science tells me. Now that doesn't mean that I ignore the science, I take on view on both and on balance make a judgement. I've been sat in a private meeting with two of the countries foremost sports nutrition experts and watch them disagree 100% on something I thought was straightforward. Also test subjects are either people on deaths door in hospital or university students. How many of you in triathlon have ever been part of a scientific study?

I've seen one persons result in a double blind study skew it away from statistical significance, which by the letter of the law means that particular substance 'doesn't work'. However on further investigation it transpired that person had a massive night on the lash and simply didn't perform. I've also been part of 'dirty studies' - this means that people know what they're taking so will have some sort of placebo effect. But it was a nightmare with some showing 40% improvements over a 20m shuttle and some 40% reduction! :? :? :?

Anyway - my point is science is not as exact as you think - science tells me 1.8g of protien per KG of bodyweight is enough to build lean tissue, with some maverick sports scientist going as far as saying 2g per KG of bodyweight. My own experience with premiership rugby players and Olympic sprinters is actually more like 3-4g of protien per KG of bodyweight. Mrs C's own foray into natural bodybuilding this year was a huge learning experience and the nutrition strategies involved again contradicting mainstream science. What you would call a recovery drink, say 60g carbs and 30g protiens, we actually use pre event AND post event, getting the protein synthasis going as soon as possible.

However if you look back at what gladiators and greek oly athletes were doing 2,000 years ago - the seemed to have a good bead on how to build muscle and burn fat.

So all of this was a pre-amble and massive caveat before actually answering the question. In sport we say the recovery process starts when you get up in the morning, so it actually never ends. In sport we fuel athletes in almost a permemant recovery strategy, the rationalle being fuel for recovery and you'll take care of most things. Obviously at some point in some way you'll have to take something on board for the event but its a tweak rather than wholesale change, but in the main take care of recovery and you won't go far wrong. But this is in sport, with athletes!

Protien shake 10mins after training - yes
Protien shake before training - why not?
Carbs in protien drinks - depends on what you're trying to do, if its burn fat then maybe not

Also all protien drinks are not equal, slow release protien like SiS Nocte have a lot of calories in them. No bad thing, but again all comes down to what you're trying to acheive.

If this has all been confusing and you're left with 100 more questions than answers - that's because it is confusing. So if you're an AG triathlete trying to get along in this sport don't worry about the science and studies. Eat 3 well balanced meals a day, 3 well balanced snacks a day, lots of fruit, lots of veg, drink plenty of water and if you want have a protien shake, have one after training and if you can afford it - before bed.
Sir Conehead

Postby Jules » 13 Jan 2010 10:58

Just to follow on from Coneheads last paragraph.

How much training do you have to do to need recovery food/drink? I find if I don't bother I can't tell any different, but then I can only fit in 5/6 hours of training a week anyway.

Plus, I tend to just eat a banana and drink milk, as this is cheaper than commercial recovery products.
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Next

Return to General Discussion