Swimming - Tri Club or Masters?

General chat and questions go here

Swimming - Tri Club or Masters?

Postby TRIumphant » 11 Jan 2010 14:53

I need to start really focusing on my swimming, as presently it;s a bit ad hoc, with me purely getting in the pool, and trying my best to complete a pre-defined set. But ultimately, I'm failing,partly due to there always being some muppet in my lane doing sidestroke, or generally getting in my way, or being tight for time, and therefore not fully completing my set, or general lathargy.

So I've researched the local club options for swimming, as this method seems to have paid dividends with my running. I have two options, either:
1 local Tri Club, or
2 local Swimming Masters Sessions.

Both options provide three 1 hour coached sessions per week, and both utilise a mix of 25, and 50m pools. If I go the Tri Club option, then I'll probably only use it for swimming, as I currently run with a running club, and will soon be out on the bike with a cycling club.

Does anyonehave any feedback on which option would provide the best swim coaching. I'm conscious that a Tri Club will be jack-of-all masters-of-none, but be Tri based, with feedback and Q&A's if needed, whereas the Masters will be swimming specific, but then this could be detrimental to Tri.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Swimming - Tri Club or Masters?

Postby ris » 11 Jan 2010 16:03

i swim with my local tri club and our swim coach is giving us a tri-version of what he would do with a swimming club. that said, i think i'd go with the swim club if i had the option, while you'll be missing a little bit of tri stuff the technique coaching will probably be stronger.

the local swim club here put me off when looking at the membership section of the site - what races have you entered, best race time for a 100, 200, 400 etc. talk about intimidating to the novice swimmer.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby hussler » 11 Jan 2010 21:36

I started swimming (and learning to swim FC) with a masters club. This was fantastic as it was with people who didnt want to nail every session and just beast each other....but pass on tips and just worry about swimming.... with a coach there too so I got to learn quickly.

I have had one experience of swimming with a Tri -Club and that ended up with me not even getting in the pool, the coach was hell bent on do this do that... you are wrong.... you know nothing about tri....this was about 6months ago....
Then when I tried to do my own session she wouldnt let me in the pool....so I left and have never been back to that pool even though it is the best pool in Stoke. I now swim by myself at the local Total Fitness, where I can do what I like and use whatever kit I want....flippers/snorkel/paddles/wetsuit... without being told im either gona drown or kill someone with my toys....

I would go to the Masters club... you can then also enter masters swim races which is excellent experience for swimming under pressure.
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Jules » 11 Jan 2010 22:59

Try both and see how you get on? Most clubs will let you join in sessions on a trial basis I would have thought.
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby Ewan » 12 Jan 2010 01:24

Sorry, poor forum etiquette... hasty response, I read the OP but not the replies so sorry if I'm repeating.

1) Most importantly: try both and see which one you prefer. Chances are you'll find the set up at one much better than at the other.
2) Failing that join the Masters: I've posted on this before (on 220 when I could still log on) but i fail to see the benefit of differentiating the disciplines in triathlon from the "pure" disciplines. Swim with swimmers, ride with cyclists and run with runners - test yourself against the best. Almost certainly the masters club will focus on shorter distances than are useful for Tri, but if your aim is to improve your swimming who better than to teach you than swimmers? Personally I think the whole concept of adopting a special technique for Triathlon swimming (as is frequently discussed) is tosh. Go for the masters!
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby hussler » 12 Jan 2010 07:40

Nice one ewan! Im with you on this one!

Distances vary but the whole distance of a session can be anything from 1500m upto 5 or 6km depending on size of and ability of masters club. The club I was involved had sessions around 2-2.5k but as I was still learning etc I just did as much as I could. I had loads of encouragement from the other members and within a few months I could complete the sessions.

That masters club was in Downham Market in Norfolk if anyone is in that area looking for a club... the ability is mixed! couple of fish in the group of about 6 or 7 when everyone turned up. In fact the club captain was and still is an 86 year old who has a gold or silver medal in every distance at FC and BS at the county champs!! haha
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby TRIumphant » 12 Jan 2010 09:34

Thanks for the feedback, I'm opting for the Masters session initially. Having read the Club info etc the sessions vary between 1.5k and 3.5k depending in which lane your seeded in, and all three sessions are coached.

I had previously attended a couple of the Tri Club swim sessions last year, but didn;t really like the way they were run, so stayed away, but now I kno wthat I need to find more structure to my swimming, and need the encouragement of a group session.

I'll report back and let you know how it goes.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Return to General Discussion