IMCH Hotel...

General chat and questions go here

IMCH Hotel...

Postby albinolock » 10 Jan 2010 22:33

I've just gone to book my hotels in Zurich and they wanted prepayment.. I looked around at a copy of other hotels and they were all the same - Prepayment.. is this normal? or another one of the Tri Costs??

I know my dates I just can't afford the whole cost this close to Xmas!!

What has everyone else done?

Scotty
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Re: IMCH Hotel...

Postby Jonhinio » 11 Jan 2010 00:03

I've been really slack and haven't looked into it. Which hotel have you looked at?
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio

Postby albinolock » 11 Jan 2010 00:30

Crown Plaza was my first choice..
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock

Postby Ewan » 11 Jan 2010 02:38

I was saying just today that I havent even begun looking, will try this week if I get a moment. Need flights too.

P.S. OT. Monday is the day I stop fannying around and stop bailing out of sessions - looking forward to it!
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jonhinio » 12 Jan 2010 13:59

Just a thought, but what about seeing if there are some holiday apartments nearby. Could split the costs. Might be cheaper?
"Champions do not become champions when they win the event, but in the hours, weeks, months and years they spend preparing for it."

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio

Postby Jellybaby » 12 Jan 2010 15:09

I was thinking about this. Have had a look and there is pretty much nothing left! Think all the well organised people have sorted themselves out already :(

I'm now staying out there with a mate's brother in Zug, which is 20 mins outside the city centre.

Also, I was wondering if everyone going fancies meeting up for a celebratory meal on the Monday evening if you're staying for a bit? It's be good to exchange tales, etc, and show our other halves that we DO have a social side!
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Sir Conehead » 12 Jan 2010 17:42

Hotel for IMCH.

Always pick a hotel as near to transition as possible. Whilst some will transport you to the race its easy for them to do as its just you, whereas post race you all finish at different times and have a bike with you. The extra cost of being on top of transition will pay massive dividends during the week and race day itself.

If you do stay some distance from the race and transport is provided, find out what the post race transport arrangements are and during the day for family. Do WAT officers have to come with you at 4am or can they come down later. IMCH 2008 was trashed with bad weather with a couple of hundred people going down with hypothermia, so 12hours waiting in that for the WAT officer isn't going to go down well.

All hotels in Zurich will ask for the full amount, as its a tourist destination anyway you're really going to struggle to get a hotel near the race so book early. With 2,000 people doing the race + WAT/HAT + any kids, thats a lot of hotel rooms.

So in summary

1. If a hotel provides transport to the race, will this continue in the day so WAT's and any kids don't have a 4am start
2. Will they take you back after the race and with a bike?
3. Stay as near to transition as possible, preferably within 1/2 mile - the extra cost will pay for itself 10 times over during the week and race day
4. Bad weather plan for the WATs
5. If you rent somewhere, again be as close as possible and think about race transport/parking. Ideally you want a WAT to drop you off race morning then they have freedom to move around themselves.
6. Race morning, however long you think its going to take you to do everything and be where you need to be on the start line, add 1/2 hour.
Sir Conehead

Postby Ewan » 12 Jan 2010 17:55

cheers Cone,

Great advice, I'll get it sorted ASAP!
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jonhinio » 12 Jan 2010 18:54

Thanks CH. Will have a look into it this week.

T. Alan Armstrong
Jonhinio

Postby jonathon.e » 13 Jan 2010 08:11

If any of you decide on the self drive or car hire,parking is available near the event centre but is restricted,and take plenty of coinage for the meters.If the hotels do not provide transport the tram network is excellent.
Also ask if the hotel will do you an early race day breakfast,again some do and some don't.
If the WAT and family do not want to spend 13+hrs hanging around,the Zoo is well worth a visit and easily accessible by tram,if you anticipate using public transport around the city buy a travel card from hotel reception or tourist Info.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Next

Return to General Discussion