Swimming - how to get up to the distance

General chat and questions go here

Re: Swimming - how to get up to the distance

Postby IanM » 09 Jan 2010 16:53

Swizzlenap wrote:The funny thing is, even though I'm rubbish, I absolutely can't wait to get in a wetsuit and try open water :) The thought of lining up for the London OD start sends a shiver up my spine.

Hah, it was definitely the other way round for me - I was absolutely bricking getting in the thames, and hated it as much as I'd expected (probably because I'd stressed myself out so much about it) even though I'd been OW swimming several times before in anticipation of it. Strangely though, a week later at Barton something in my head just clicked, I enjoyed the swim there, and since then have preferred lake swimming to pool swimming!

ps iadama, love the Spaghetti Monster pic

Ah, have you also been touched by his noodly appendage? :P
IanM

Postby Sir Conehead » 09 Jan 2010 17:49

As is painfully outlined in the book - I could only do 1 or 2 lengths of 'proper' crawl before having to stop breathless. It seems like a mountian you're not going to be able to get up at 1st, but I went from that to IMUK swim in 1hr 9mins in 6 months.

Just get through the drills, and the lengths will come. It can be pretty daunting as it seems completely impossible as the progress seems negligable. Its not as quick or tangible as progress in running fitness or bike fitness, making it seem all the more static in terms of progress.
Sir Conehead

Postby Swizzlenap » 11 Jan 2010 14:08

iadama wrote:Ah, have you also been touched by his noodly appendage?

I have indeed been so blessed :D

Conehead wrote:it seems completely impossible as the progress seems negligable

That's exactly it, it seems to take ages to get anywhere in terms of ability, so panic ensues.

So, had two discoveries in the pool last night.

Firstly, I was previously breathing in on every fourth stroke but I think this was making me gasp for air when taking a breath, but breathing every second stroke felt too manic. I tried alternating sides and going for every 3rd stroke and that seems like a really good balance. Took about half an hour to get used to it but it's working well now.

Second discovery. I really made sure I was pulling the full length of my body on the catch which seemed to make rotation easier and my breathing more calm.

I know, I know, that means I was doing lengths again. I'll start drills this week. Definitely.
Swizzlenap
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby aoneill69 » 11 Jan 2010 21:49

I have the same feeling at the moment however have to stick to drills....i taught myself to swim again last year...went 3 times a week and ploughed through length after length (eventually)...managed to finish 3 sprints...
however knew it was crap as i had shoulder pains etc...so went for some TI instruction..watched my self on video and couldn't believe how 'messy' it was..
instruction from my coach...don't do any junk miles....get the technique correct , practise specific drill and then if you must, swim a length or 2 but get back to drills...
have to admit still hard not to plough up and down but hopefully come the spring it should pay off.....
aoneill69
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Postby Jules » 11 Jan 2010 22:50

Drills!
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Previous

Return to General Discussion