Am I in denial?

General chat and questions go here

Re: Am I in denial?

Postby flavadave » 07 Jan 2010 13:56

Thanks for the debate guys. Had a think and guess what...? I have just paid my entry for the Big Woody :shock:

What an idiot. Now I need to tell the misses :shock: :shock:
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby md6 » 07 Jan 2010 13:57

I am currently using the BeIronFit plan too, mainly as i do not have a clue as to what I should do without it - I would have just learned to swim bike and run the distance, and then to run 15 miles off the back of a 90 mile bike ride...probably not the best strategy. So the plan whilst generic gives me a guide as to the volumes, intensity and length of training required/advisable for the distance. I am, already (1 week in) changing things to suit me - cycling is my limiter so i am increasing the volume of that and i am already a relatively strong runner (plus its bloody cold outside) so i have reduced that. Also, i don't see there is any benefit to me in terms of endurance/fitness etc running for 15 or 30 mins in Z2. That would be warm up - anything less than 60mins in Z2 I don't feel there would be any benefit unless it is a recovery run/part of a brick. And swimming, well I am not yet capable fitness wise of swimming the 3k required in the plan for week 1, so i did as much of the session as I could until my arms lost power and i stopped. Oh and the pool has been closed too.

I guess in short, no a generic plan is not ideal, but it is (for the novice) a hell of a lot better than leaving it up to me to decide what and how much i should be doing. Particularly me, as I know the arse end of b*gger all. :)
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby md6 » 07 Jan 2010 13:58

Good man Dave!
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Jellybaby » 07 Jan 2010 14:04

Good man! I'll see you there, although I'm only going to be doing the Little Woody. I'll keep the beer cool and get the BBQ going for when you finish :D
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby TRIumphant » 07 Jan 2010 14:13

flavadave wrote:Thanks for the debate guys. Had a think and guess what...? I have just paid my entry for the Big Woody :shock:

What an idiot. Now I need to tell the misses :shock: :shock:

Well done Dave. I should be back this year, still tempted to do The Big woody this year, I did The Little one last year and loved every minute of it. It's the only event T-shirt I wear whilst training, and I wear it with pride.
Last edited by TRIumphant on 07 Jan 2010 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby TRIumphant » 07 Jan 2010 14:14

Jellybaby wrote:Good man! I'll see you there, although I'm only going to be doing the Little Woody. I'll keep the beer cool and get the BBQ going for when you finish :D

And a set of flood lights.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby jac » 07 Jan 2010 15:09

shadowone1 wrote:Yes a plan is better than none. I agree but I just find it odd that people can follow the same plan when in fact it is generally speaking very generic. I suppose the individual can amend the plan to suit their own personal goals as well.

Good point shadowone1.
Don't mean to bang on about Friel but his book is very much geared to understanding why you are doing what you are doing and how to tinker it to suit YOU. You devise your own plan. It takes some reading but it's well worth it, IMO.
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby andyb99 » 07 Jan 2010 15:50

ahhh...good man Dave.....just cause its not imch mate doesnt mean you can't call yourself an ironman once you've finished...good luck with it mate, i'm chuffed you've gone for it cause i know you was disappointed at having to bin imch
andyb99

Previous

Return to General Discussion