IM bike training (multi laps)

General chat and questions go here

IM bike training (multi laps)

Postby TRIumphant » 29 Jan 2010 15:19

With a half decent forecast for this weekend, I'm looking to get out on the roads for some proper riding, no more turbo + TV. I've been on MapMyRide and plotted a good loop from the house that is almost spot on 30km, and includes 460m of climbing (one large, one medium and one small hill). Looking at the IMUK route, that climbs 400m every 30km :o , and IMUK70.3 climbs 580m every 30km :( .

My intention is to ride the loop several times, ideally targeting 1 hour per loop, giving good pacing feedback. I'll also have the ability to have the house as an aid station should the need arrive, and also the comfort that i'll never be more than about 8 miles from the front door.

What's the general thought of multi lap training rides. Is it a cop out, because you've got the comfort factor that you're never far from home?
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: IM bike training (multi laps)

Postby wannabetri » 29 Jan 2010 15:36

This is exactly what I did for some of my training rides for last year's IMUK. It is a really effective way to have a controlled, safe and manageable long ride. It makes refuelling with drinks bottles much more manageable than going out with 6 bottles and crap loads of extra weight.

It definitely gives a good indication of pacing and you'll be able to monitor your progress per ride and per lap each time.

Only downside, is doing it too often. It does get boring, so do think about some point to point rides or at least get 3 or 4 different loops. Some longer one's certainly wouldn't go a miss. I had a 40km TT loop for testing. Then a multi-lap option at 30km and 50km.

Happy training!!! :lol:
27/05 Nuffield OD; 09/06 Manc 50m TT; 10/06 Barton Marina OD; 30/06 Manc 50m TT; 01/07 Outlaw IM Swim; 14/07 - 3km OW Marlow; 15/07 Marlow OD; AG LD World Champs 29/07; Club relays 25+26/08;
wannabetri
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby didds » 29 Jan 2010 19:30

some chancer once told me this was a good idea... as it builds mental toughness... done two loops? knackered? home is just a mile or so down that lane to the left? or... one more lap of 30Km, when a nice cup of coffee and a bun is preferable...?

didds
didds

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sir Conehead » 29 Jan 2010 19:53

...indeed.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The boredom and mental torture of such a ride, especially with home so close are ESSENTIAL for success in the bike on IM. As thats the shit that goes down in the race, stop or carry on. You may think that you won't decide to pack it on on race day after all the trainin/money/hard work - but trust me on the day you will start to convince yourself there is no shame in quitting and having another go next year.

This is the mill I put myself through as Didds describes, one more lap? Or turn to go home for warm bath and Krispy Kreme....? You need to face those demons in training, no ipod, no training partner - just the devil on your shoulder telling you its ok to stop. COme race day that will be ramped up 100x
Sir Conehead

Postby TRIumphant » 29 Jan 2010 23:01

Good. It's the first thing I've got right. Also got a 60 km and a 90km loop which I'll throw in every now and again. Four sportives between 140 and 190km should see me sorted.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Return to General Discussion