Planned hours versus real hours

General chat and questions go here

Planned hours versus real hours

Postby aoneill69 » 24 Jan 2010 19:59

So how are folks doing against their plans?...i am in a build phase, had planned for 7hours a week for first 4 weeks...first 3 weeks i have managed avg 5 1/2 hours...unfortunately NO Swimming!...trying not to panic as lots of time to go to 1st OD and i did no real winter training last year for my sprints, (my new mantra.. don't panic, don't panic)
aoneill69
Doesn't live on the forum - yet...

Re: Planned hours versus real hours

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Jan 2010 20:39

In the real world of day jobs, families etc., getting some systematic training in is the hardest thing. Something I am determined to try to achieve this year. Not only progression, but also being injury free hangs off it.

Not sure how well I am doing at the moment though, as I've only just started. In order to not bite of more than I can chew, and plan more hours than I can do (hard when, quite often a working day starts at 5am, and doesn't finish til 8 - when dehydration an exhaustion set in), I am going for single sport training - i.e. 6 hours per week - for cycling, then ticking over on swim/run. This will take me up to the end of March, when I will dust down the running (injuries permitting). I.e. 12 weeks of cycling, then some running.

However, I've set most of my challenges in the area of Cycling this year. But I am drawn like a moth to the flame of multisport events.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby sfuller » 25 Jan 2010 08:51

No matter how hard I try I can't meet my set hours. I have a coach and a plan but not the will to get up at 5 every morning, 3 mornings - fine, 5 mornings - nope, can't do it. I normally manage about 9/10 hours on av and have 12/13 on TP.
sfuller
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Tri Pencil » 25 Jan 2010 09:34

I manage just over 6 hours last week, thats pure exercise time and I have no kids or other distractions bar football and I find it incredibly hard to do any more so I really wouldn't worry.

Some northern chancer once told me that its quality not quantity so as long as you beast yourself for the full amount of time you have available then magic I say!! :D

If it helps I will be up at 6:15 tomorrow am on the flipping Turbo and I can only stare at the Hob and oven in my kitchen, incidentally the wife did sarcastically say that I could leave Daisy (the bike) in the kitchen if I did some F**king cooking for a change! :lol: :lol:

To which I replied I thought the oven was bust cos the food always comes out burnt! Cue no conversation for 12 hours and counting!! :lol: :lol:

Tri Pencil
Wife to me when I told her I had entered Little Woody.

"You pillock, now why would you want to do that?"
Tri Pencil
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby Jules » 25 Jan 2010 10:35

Plan? Don't be silly, this is the BCTTT!

Yeah I have a sort of plan which I never manage to stick to, even though it's only about five hours a week :oops:

I've learnt not to worry about it, and try to see my training plan of more of a rolling programme rather than X hours per week. EG the plan is a long run tonight then a tempo run on Thursday, but if for some reason I can't do tonight then Thursday will be the long run, then the next chance I have to run will be a tempo run etc.

The only fixed definite session I have is track session on a Wednesday.

When I started tri, I worried about not doing all the training I needed, now I've learnt to chill out so I'm far happier.
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby md6 » 25 Jan 2010 17:12

I have been following my plan religously :) ...well sort of anyway, well I did last week. I (for the first time) managed to complete all (bar one swim session which I only did about 3/4) the session on my plan. I even did a little extra by way of a cycle commute misreading one bike session so did 2hrs not 1h30 and the fact that i found my usual run route blocked and had to find a new - longer way home. Not planned as i was tired and late and had to get back so i could get to work. It is the first time since i started the plan (now on week 5) that I have not dropped an entire session and cut another one (or 3) short.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby andyb99 » 25 Jan 2010 18:53

Bike and run time i'm doing great (i'm lucky that i work at home mostly..so i can find the time) at so strictly speaking i'm 'doing my time' the swim time is a difficult one... because my plan has a set not a time...i'm doing an hour each session but i'm not covering the distances...in fact not really following the sets....cause i cant remember them....i've realised its my weakest point and have just today booked a session in an endless pool to get some help....so i'm hoping i can really start to improve on that.
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby moonshine » 25 Jan 2010 21:38

planned 9 sessions a week and managing at least 7
2 swim sessions of an hour each
2 bike sessions - 1 cadence orientated 1 length of time - longest to date 1:45
3 run sessions - at minute 2 treadmill max 1 hr and 1 out and about
1 brick session - 30-45 mins bike 15 mins run

Swim sessions hardest to fit in so if miss on a set day will shove in on another and drop one other as most paranoid about my dubious swimming ability - typically the brick session - once the evening get lighter it should get better I hope
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

Return to General Discussion