Turbo + which bike?

General chat and questions go here

Turbo + which bike?

Postby TRIumphant » 06 Jan 2010 11:03

Finally got my arse in gear and got myself a Turbo. However, I'm not sure which bike is best left on it.

I have my road/race bike with tri-bar set up, which I currently use out on the road when the weather permits. But I also have a decent'sh hybrid, which has got almost identical gearing etc to my road bike. I was wondering whether it was worth putting my aero-bars and a trubo trye onto my hybrid so this can be permanently left on the turbo, which gives me instance access to my road bike without the hassle of changing tyres, removing it from the turbo etc in order to go out on it.

I know that the geometry of the hybrid etc will differ slightly from by road bike, but I can get it pretty close. I also know I'm supposed to train what I race, but it's a bll ache having to remove the bike and swap kit in order to venture outdoors.

Any thoughts?
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Turbo + which bike?

Postby Jellybaby » 06 Jan 2010 11:16

I have a crappy old wheel with the same gearing on as my normal wheels and leave this permanently on the turbo and just swap back wheels. However, I'm not allowed to leave the bike on the turbo cos I do it in the front room. If I had the option I'd probably leave the roadie on it cos of the weather at the moment and go out on the hybrid until it gets a bit warmer. Not the most helpful answer I don't suppose. :D
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby

Postby jac » 06 Jan 2010 11:49

Ideally the road bike.
You'll soon be a dab hand at getting the tyre on and off quickly.
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 06 Jan 2010 12:23

I'd use the road bike on the turbo, not much point putting all the hours in with the wrong geometry.

I bought myself a cheap rear wheel from chain reaction cycles, a cassette, rim tape, and used an old tyre that is no longer suitable for road use. In all cost me about £52. The wheel is not outstanding quality, but it is round, and it's not like it is going to get used on the road anyway.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby hussler » 06 Jan 2010 14:20

My Argon TT bike is my turbo bike the Spesh S-works doesnt like it and will go into a mood if I put her on a turbo trainer..... Id stick with the road bike, buy a cheap back wheel of fleabay and stick the turbo tyre on that and have it as a permanent turbo wheel....
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby andyb99 » 06 Jan 2010 18:52

i'm doing it the other way, using my road bike (with my only set of wheels) on the turbo...which i F-ing hate by the way...and using the hybrid out on the roads till probably march...then once the weather gets a bit better i'm gonna buy new tyres for the road bike and the turbo can go in the bin!!!
andyb99

Postby Sir Conehead » 07 Jan 2010 03:02

If you have two bikes, then you usually train on one bike and have another on the turbo.

The usual sketch is have your 'race' bike on the turbo and trash your 'training' bike on the roads.

To that end I have the Black Bomber on the turbo (with turbo wheel) and ride my training bike into the ground during winter months etc.
Sir Conehead

Return to General Discussion