bike question

General chat and questions go here

bike question

Postby andyb99 » 22 Jan 2010 13:14

Friday and i know you all love bikes so .

you all know i'm totally new to this bike thing..i dont think i like the idea of putting an aero bar on my road bike as the handlebars seem quite small and i sort of feel they will be cluttered....anyway i'm going to put an adjustable stem on (if anybody has a spare one let me know i'll buy it) but i then got to thinking that i might want to upgrade the entire headstock (if thats what you call it) so i was wondering how much it will cost to put full tribars on with an an aero bar...i obviously dont want to spend a fortune...also....how do tri bars feel compared to drops?? will i find any benefit??
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: bike question

Postby Seasider71 » 22 Jan 2010 13:32

Carbon or Alloy ?
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby andyb99 » 22 Jan 2010 14:27

oh...hadn't thought of that Gav...prob alloy if i'm honest
andyb99

Postby Sir Conehead » 22 Jan 2010 18:56

The problem with 'triathlon-ising' your road bike is they're not set up for you to sit forward on tri bars.

So I was a bit unclear on what you're trying to do - put clip on tri bar extensions on your road drops (carbon stryke or similar) or actually put some aero bars on there (or time trial bars as a TTer would say).

So tri bar extensions you can put on existing bars and some aero 'base' bars, aero bars are the things you get on a TT bike and can have intergrated extensions (like my Vuka) or as mentioned are 'base' bars you add extensions to.

So what that totally confusing explanation, what are you thinking of doing?
Sir Conehead

Postby didds » 22 Jan 2010 22:12

andy will be along shortly ... but I read into what he said as he's thinking of swapping out the handlbar and drops and STis and brakes for a full tri-bike/time trial cockpit.

If that's the case I'd deffo go with what CH said and suggest its possibly throwing good money after ... well.. not bad, just not the best idea. the geometry of a road bike is not designed to work with such an aggressive foward seated front end.

Meanwhile IMO (FWTW!) I really wouldn't worry overly about tri bars until you are happy - REALLY happy - with riding your steed. 20 months into road biking now and I am still quicker on the drops than on clip on aero bars, which currently will be used for the extra water bottle holding capability as much as any likely "aero" position.

didds
didds

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby andyb99 » 22 Jan 2010 22:37

ch, didds, you've actually both cleared this up...i thought a frame was a frame....and only the bars were different...so what i was thinking of doing is changing from drop bars (road) to flat bars (tri) with a set of aero bars in the middle....make sense???
i'd never considered that the frame might be different,

so i'm guessing its a no right???
andyb99

Postby Bendy Ben » 22 Jan 2010 22:54

It's a no.

All the angles will be wrong. Shame cos now you have to buy a tri specific bike. Dam
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby andyb99 » 22 Jan 2010 22:59

willieverfinish wrote:It's a no.

All the angles will be wrong. Shame cos now you have to buy a tri specific bike. Dam

i wish
andyb99

Return to General Discussion