can a spectator join you on the run

General chat and questions go here

can a spectator join you on the run

Postby andyb99 » 20 Jan 2010 21:54

I'm still reading some of these ironman stories...and quite a few of them mention people joining them on the run sections, on foot or on bikes to keep them company. i thought this was against the rules...the reason i asked is cat (my mrs) said she'd join me for the run part to keep me company an encourage me over the line (after all its not going to be fast) but i told her that wasn't allowed
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: can a spectator join you on the run

Postby hussler » 20 Jan 2010 22:10

Its not allowed because you could have several mates at set points who could act as pace runners and run a couple of miles each extra.....you are not allowed to receive outside help of any kind.....

However, whats stopping your missis running on 'her' side of the barrier.....that way she isnt running with you....
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby ris » 20 Jan 2010 23:38

i don't think you can, they've even banned people from allowing them to have family with them as cross they line - loads of people did it and it seemed to be a great photo op.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby Sir Conehead » 21 Jan 2010 00:01

Depends on whose story you're reading, from what race and what year. I know that at IMCH, IMUK and IMFL its strictly competitors only on the run course.

In Hawaii certain people are allowed on the run course on MTB's, and also parrallel to the run course (but not on it) anyone can be on there cheering and/or riding/running (roads are very wide!).

So if someone wants to run/mtb parrallel to the run course but not actually on it, that's not breaking the rules - assuming there's room for them to do so.

Also on Ris's point about family members on the finish straight/line - its strictly competitors only for races in North America, but was still ok for european IM's unless thats changed also? The problem was typical USA in that instead of having a child or two (like I did at IMCH), people were shipping in their entire extended families onto the finish line and cocking it up for everyone else. But it was still ok for european races and people were advised to use common sense, as I say though this may apply to all IM's globally by now.
Sir Conehead

Postby Jules » 21 Jan 2010 09:53

Will the roads be closed? If not presumably there is nothing that could stop anyone running in the same direction as the race runners?

If someone was obviously running alongside you, communicating with you etc I assume that is against the rules.
Occasional BCTTT messageboard loiterer.
Jules
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby andyb99 » 21 Jan 2010 10:18

CH i think imuk have actually made a statement this year saying its now not going to be allowed cause they are governed by the ITF or ITA or something so they have to follow that rule.

Jules last year the road was partially closed and they did say outside help wasn't allowed (as always) but one bloke who was struggling walked the last 10 miles holding hands with his wife!!!!!!
andyb99

Postby malteser » 21 Jan 2010 10:56

that's taking the piss a bit isn't it? walking the last 10 miles hand in hand with the wife?!

at least that's a pretty supportive wife, if I had to ask that of mine she'd tell me "Walk with you ten miles? Sod off!!! get your arse in gear, I'm driving to the finish line and you'd better f*&%ing get there!"

The funny thing is I can really actually hear her say that
malteser

Postby TRIumphant » 21 Jan 2010 11:07

He only walked with her because his hamstring had gone, and walking was the nly way he would get to the finish line, and she was there to support him. If she hadn't been with him, he would have DNF.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant

Postby malteser » 21 Jan 2010 11:24

aha ... context saves all - still not sure about the hand in hand bit - but then again if it was me I'd sure as hell be glad to have that support!!

10 miles with a hamstring gone and he finished ... cripes
malteser

Postby andyb99 » 21 Jan 2010 13:07

yeah funily enough it cause me to join tri talk to comment on that...cause i saw him cross the line.. brave stuff.
andyb99

Next

Return to General Discussion