Is my IMUK training logic flawed?

General chat and questions go here

Re: Is my IMUK training logic flawed?

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Jan 2010 20:31

Reading between the lines or race entry list is the reason for them really so that you think you are mentally prepared because in training you have done
2.4 mile ow swim. Tick
biked over 100 miles. Tick
ran a marathon. Tick

your mind now says that since I have done the relative distances ,I know I can do all the distances I have increased the probability of succeeding in the IM.Your mind is full of perfect planning prevents piss poor performance etc.
Providing you have respect for the race and can adapt to changes then you should have no worries.
One of the best preps for the distance is to have some real nightmares of races and get over the disasters thereby mentally helping,rather than lulling you into the false sense of security that everything will go to plan.

As a rule of thumb the max distance when I used to do marathons on their own that I would do in training was a 22 mile run,followed by a weeks rest then a couple of weeks of tapering prior to the race itself.That was good for a 3.15 marathon on a hilly course,no need for a run of 26.2 miles.Anything over 16 miles and it will have a detrimental effect to your body.
The only time I cycle over 90 miles is during an IM.

If you really need to do 26.2 miles,could I suggest you do 1 mile run 1 mile fast walk,it will reduce the impact on your body and only take about 5 and a half hours.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Is my IMUK training logic flawed?

Postby TRIumphant » 21 Jan 2010 10:01

Thanks for the wise words, glad I asked the question soone rather than later.

Any non IM events have been kicked into touch, and my training buddies informed that I won't be with them, but will target these during late 2010 and 2011.

BeIronFit will be followed as closely as possible from now on, and if I've got any free time I'll target the bike, rather than running, which I was doing.

Again. thanks for the advice, and it's be heeded. :oops:
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Previous

Return to General Discussion