Insomnia

General chat and questions go here

Insomnia

Postby albinolock » 19 Jan 2010 16:50

I’ve asked this before but anyone have a good remedy for insomnia.. I’ve given up the booze and the equally (or more) evil caffeine and I go through quite bad withdrawals of insomnia.. The kind that I can fall asleep but wake up about 60mins later and can’t get back to sleep..

Anyone offer poor Scotty some magical advice?
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Re: Insomnia

Postby IanM » 19 Jan 2010 17:09

I used to suffer with stress related insomnia. I tried a few different tablets for it, and they did help me sleep but I usually woke up feeling far from refreshed. I then tried herbal Nytol, which was great for me. One or two before bed and I'd usually sleep through til morning and wake up feeling like I've slept properly.
IanM

Postby md6 » 19 Jan 2010 17:15

I tend to suffer a lot with insomnia too, but have found lately that I am sleeping better - probably a result of being so bloody tired all the time with training. But i found that i would sleep less badly if i didn't have caffine after about 3pm and (I know I sound like a grandmother/child here but) a nice ovaltine before bed seems to help me relax and sleep quite well...

Or put that time to good use get up and on the turbo for an hour or two and you'll then just have to fight your way through the next day shattered, and by the time you get to bed you'll be so exhausted you will sleep through? :)
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby md6 » 19 Jan 2010 17:16

P.S I never found tablets were that good for me, whichever ones i tried.

P.P.S I think it is about getting into a routine - that helps too
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby S11 » 19 Jan 2010 17:32

Ok daft question scot. do you have trouble sleeping as you've just finished training say an hour before going to bed?

Sometimes its hard to do the wind down and you're still pumped up from the training. I sometimes get this which is why I now make sure I read a magazine/book/ paper or something to help me relax. I've found this helps to get me to relax before going to be, otherwise I'm lying in bed focusing on training and my brain goes into overload.

You could also try various remedies- hot milk etc. I did read in 220 that they recommended peanut butter....haven't tried that one yet!!!
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby albinolock » 19 Jan 2010 18:05

I don't normally do exercise too soon before bed and I've recently tried the Hebal Nytol, but my problem is staing asleep.. I can normally drop off quite quickly (the first time!!) but one I wake up I struggle to get back to sleep.. perhaps I should read.. but I find this oftern simulates my mind too much too..
How hard can it be?? and what could possibly go wrong?????
albinolock
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby jonathon.e » 19 Jan 2010 18:14

albinolock wrote: perhaps I should read.. but I find this oftern simulates my mind too much too..

Perhaps the aptly titled'How Triathlon ruined my life' may help,mind numbing,boring.....ok I lied try 'Not usual behaviour'
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby chappers » 19 Jan 2010 20:04

I can't stomach milk so I go for SiS nocte (I think that's what it's called). Tastes revolting but seems to do the trick. That said, my guess is warm milk would have the same effect. Could also get into a routine of going to bed at the same time each night?
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby CCS » 19 Jan 2010 20:25

Valerian - either as a herbal tea (though tastes a bit of twigs) or tablets - works a treat for me!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby garyroberts » 19 Jan 2010 21:20

Hi Scott

No taking the piss now! I have started falling asleep to self-help life-coach type audio books (on my iPod). It seems that I can never get past the first 5 mins!!!! So, maybe something to listen to might help?

Most of the time I sleep well, but once in a while I get an attack, and when I do it's a real bitch. I have to say that I think in my case it's always related to me worrying about something. Whatever it is, try and sort it and get back to a good nights sleep!
Swim like a brick, cycle like a sail, run like constipation
garyroberts
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Next

Return to General Discussion