where do you swim??

General chat and questions go here

Re: where do you swim??

Postby KidStardust » 20 Jan 2010 11:25

another total fitness member (wilmslow). we have a family membership and the kids have swimming lessons there as well. lovely 25m pool laned off into slow, medium and fast, and a bigger general area. no problem with wearing fins etc. it can get busy if you get your times wrong though.

the gym is pretty well equipped generally, with a 200m indoor track around the outside of the weights area. a good alternative to the treadmill.
KidStardust

Postby Swizzlenap » 20 Jan 2010 14:35

I jouned my local gym in Streatham Hill mainly for the pool. It's £42 a month and I go 3-4 times a week so it's not too bad value. If I go before work I often have the whole pool to myself and even after work during the week there are often no more than 4 other people there. I think the Aquaruck may be a bit of a culture shock :D

On Sat and Sun however it's packed, someone invariably turns on the sound system, blasts out crap gym dance tunes and everyone floats around checking each other out. There are signs not to do this and I've complaned a few times but to no avail....I'll just stick to my weekday and early morning swims.

I'm looking forward to Tooting Bec Lido opening too.
Swizzlenap
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby md6 » 20 Jan 2010 15:28

i swim at the local authority pool and i use the gym there too it was very cheap (about £750 p/a for me and the GAT officer) it is only 25 yards, but there are often swim clubs there so the lanes get very busy, which i don't like. But my main problem is no one observes the slow medium fast lanes (how surprising?!) so the slow people decided that they should get in the fast lane as there are only 2 people in that and there are already 4 in the slow lane. then proceed to do breast stroke very slowly - oh and there is also a breast stroke lane... :x oh and the medium lane has a water jet thing which is quite a strong current straight out in the middle of the lane so as you come in to turn the current pushes you away/across the lane which can be a bit frustrating.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Seasider71 » 20 Jan 2010 15:37

I tried to use the pool at the local gym - but they were more geared towards family usage, and kids clubs - membership was cheap but I would have only been able to use the pool on a Mon and Wed from 8pm to 9pm due to work commitments.

I have now subscribed to a Bannatyne gym so I can use the pool anytime of day, but usually from 6.30am until 7.30am every morning - it's costing me £39 per month so I have to get my money's worth.
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby didds » 20 Jan 2010 19:13

ris wrote:
i was thinking of swindon link,

swindon?

The LinkCentre a.k.a. "chav central"?

Have you had the vaccinations?

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby ris » 20 Jan 2010 19:15

chav central, eh? no wonder it felt so comfortable compared to chippers!

when i'm there it's just us and the tigersharks asc lot, it's late enough the local gary boys are doing donuts round asdal's car park...
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby didds » 20 Jan 2010 19:17

ris wrote:it's late enough the local gary boys are doing donuts round asdal's car park...

ah... safe innit?

(oops, what a giveaway ;-)

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Sir Conehead » 21 Jan 2010 04:29

Grand Central Pools - 50m from 630am to 9am. Lots of lanes, but half the pool is taken up by Stockport Metro so you have Olympic level swimmers rocketing past at 1,000,0000,0000mph just to highlight your shame. Its also a breeding ground for swim nemesis, they are everywhere - so no lane is safe.

Its totally fine if a little run down, the only problem is in fact other triathletes.

During the season the place is mobbed in the mornings with triathletes who all drilling themselves in the 'fast' lane despite not being fast and all have committe meetings at the end of the lane. Weirdly though in the off season, its dead as no triathletes in there - the very time of year it should be full of the very same triathletes doing drills.

I pay £25 per month or something - so yes I actually do pay for some things.
Sir Conehead

Postby flavadave » 21 Jan 2010 09:09

Mile End Leisure centre. £42 a month, and pretty quiet at 6.30am, a few times on me tod.

Nice temperature and pretty well looked after as its not too old. And its 2 mins walk from my house. Lovely.
flavadave

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby moonshine » 21 Jan 2010 10:40

wherever I can get to so all public pools - if have meetings check out pool nearby, times, length etc - I'm very sad

Aberystwyth 25m, adult lanes 12.00-1pm - nice cafe

Carmarthen 25m, always have 1 or 2 lanes set up - usually has someone you can try and keep up with

Swansea 50m (sometimes) 25m (sometimes) no guarentee will actually be open when you get there

Tregaron - my local pool, 20m, 4 lanes wide, 31C and frankly I've had better visibility diving in West Wales, it feels very short having been in a 25m a lot in last few months but it only takes 10 mins to get to - sessions typically 8pm and always some numpty that gets in the way, I stick myself against the furthest wall away from the steps but they still insist on standing at the end, or swimming widths (6m) dive bombing. Classic comment last night from lifeguard -"you can't be intending to SWIM for an hour surely?!!"
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion