F**kin treadmill

General chat and questions go here

Re: F**kin treadmill

Postby ris » 17 Jan 2010 23:00

you aren't the only one - i seem to spend most of my runs amazed at how easily my hr climbs into z3. i have some 7% stuff on my regular run and i am pretty much walking up it to keep it in z2!
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby md6 » 18 Jan 2010 14:02

I can't use a treadmill for more than about 15 mins at a time, which means I can only really use it for the odd speed session, of a gym based brick type session. I just find that I run very differently on one than i do on the road, and i get bored senseless, which means i don't pay attention and have come close to loosing it a few times - when half your foot lands on the belt and the other half lands on the fixed side you tend to stumble I've found... anyway, so i do speed and hill sessions, all very high intensity and quite fast paces. It worked well for that - i manageed to get my mile time down to 5:30 at the end of last year, which was nice.
Re zone 2, Moonshine why do you have the treadmill set to 5%? Is there more benefit to doing that? I tend to have the 7% as the 'peak' of my intense sessions, i set it to my 10k speed (aprox) then start at 2% and move up 1% every 2 mins until i hit 7% and then back down again. Hurts like hell but seems to do some good. I can't keeep my HR in z2 going up hill either, it tends to climb to the mid/upper end of z3 unless i walk, but i would rather run and then deal with the recovery at the top than walk - I might not tart running again if i walk
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby moonshine » 18 Jan 2010 16:14

Re zone 2, Moonshine why do you have the treadmill set to 5%? Is there more benefit to doing that? I tend to have the 7% as the 'peak' of my intense sessions, i set it to my 10k speed (aprox) then start at 2% and move up 1% every 2 mins until i hit 7% and then back down again. Hurts like hell but seems to do some good. I can't keeep my HR in z2 going up hill either, it tends to climb to the mid/upper end of z3 unless i walk, but i would rather run and then deal with the recovery at the top than walk - I might not tart running again if i walk

set to 5% because it's very old, lives in the playroom and won't go flat otherwise it's 10, 15% and local gym would have heart failure if I used theirs for an hour :D its my HAT survivial technique appear to spend absolutely nothing on training on the pennies front whilst secretly saving up for a new bike ;)

same problem when go running but that might be due to a decided lack of flat bits round here but managed my first ever over 7k, all zone 3 though- having said that distance and speed improving on treadmill 1st session only manged 4kph and HR zone 2 for 30 mins after 3 sessions increasing time Friday managed 5kph and even 10 minutes of 6.5kph - yes I know in the world of you uber fittys not very impressive but I'm pleased
As long as chocolate is involved I can do anything
moonshine
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby md6 » 18 Jan 2010 18:24

Ahh, that makes sense, there's a new bike in it for you! What i wouldn't do for a new bike is not something i want to think about. And it should see you right on the hilly bits of races! :D The fact you can see progression is the main thing I think.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Previous

Return to General Discussion