F**kin Turbo

General chat and questions go here

F**kin Turbo

Postby andyb99 » 15 Jan 2010 21:07

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!
i did an hour today and it just not happening........i'm selling it...its a magnetic one...pretty quiet.....good and sturdy....just has a line that you run to the handle to change resistance.....if you want it make me an offer. it was £100 new...i'll take £70
IHATEIT
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: F**kin Turbo

Postby jac » 15 Jan 2010 21:13

Patience Andy. You will grow to love it! :cry:
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby combatdwarf » 15 Jan 2010 21:19

Get a laptop or TV in front of you and watch something! I have managed series 1-6 of 24 this year...you get used to it!

Honest!
I.
Husband • Father • Ironman • My triathlon journey from the rugby front row to age group ironman • http://iaindoestriathlon.blogspot.com/
Injured in 2014 so racing for FRANK water at the Bridge to Bridge • http://www.justgiving.com/iaindoesb2b
combatdwarf

Postby Bendy Ben » 15 Jan 2010 21:20

I hate mine too. Not that much though.

Give it time Andy, give it time
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby hussler » 15 Jan 2010 22:08

I love my turbo it gives me the opportunity to nail myself into the ground without fear that If I pass out Ill not get run over in the process.

It can really isolate those Bike muscles and give you so much strength for riding thats very hard to replicate gains on the road....

You just have to think positive about it.... If you tell yourself you hate something your gona be wishing every minute that you want to be off it.
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby S11 » 15 Jan 2010 23:07

Andy...
I used to hate the turbo and then got a tv and dvd player in the garage. love it.

I bring the turbo in on the cold days and I've grown to love the turbo. I hate the numbness but you get over that.

Keep the turbo its essential to training on shite days.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Sir Conehead » 15 Jan 2010 23:09

You have to learn to love what you hate on the IM journey. The Fear is your friend, turbo's are nothing more than a distraction, you should be dissapointed you have to get off after an hour. Make a point of this to the turbo.
Sir Conehead

Postby hussler » 15 Jan 2010 23:14

You get a double work out when you get of the turbo after a 4 or 5 hour session on it:) both Physical and mental.....If you can focus for that long on the turbo IM will be a doddle mentally after that!

LOVE THE TURBO, EMBRACE THE TURBO, LET THE TURBO GUIDE YOU TO UNCONTROLLABLE PLEASURE, ONLY THEN WILL YOU SUCCEED IN YOUR GOALS MENTALLY:)
No one has ever died of aching Legs
hussler
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Ewan » 16 Jan 2010 01:47

HA... Andy, never have I heard anyone so eloquently describe my feelings the first time I got on a road bike. I bought it before I had ever heard of tri, because a friend of mine told me it would be good cross training for rowing. I was living in Edinburgh at the time but the weekend after I bought it I went out to my parents house in Wanlockhead. I decided to do just half an hour to get used to the bike: quarter of an hour out and quarter of an hour back. Only when I reached the halfway point did I realise my mistake - Wanlockhead is the highest village in Scotland and I had just spent the last 15 minutes speeding down the Menock pass! It took me 45 minutes to get back up the hill and the only thing stopping me from stamping through the wheels was my desire to return it and forget I had ever thought of getting on a bike! It was stupid and I hated it. A year later I had signed up for my first sprint tri and a year after that I had finished IMUK and the same bike carried me through all the training for both (although I got a TT bike for the IMUK race).

Stick with it. Learn to love the pain because you can push yourself harder on a turbo than you ever can on the road. Learn to love the boredom because you haven't even tasted it until you've tried to count 160+lengths in the pool or been in the saddle for 5 and hours and realised you still have another 2 to go. Its all part of the Ironman journey... if it were easy it wouldn't be worth doing!

p.s. Hustler I'm hoping for a thaw on your behalf, I love my turbo but never have I let it "GUIDE ME TO UNCONTROLLABLE PLEASURE"... I think you need to get back out on the road! ;)
Ewan

Postby Ewan » 16 Jan 2010 01:54

p.p.s. Finding a distraction helps, as mentioned a lot of people find the tv helpful. At the moment I'm listening to the entire, unabridged War and Peace on talking book... Nothing like 60hours of Russian literature to keep you motivated :D :D
Ewan

Next

Return to General Discussion