Naseby 16.45m

General chat and questions go here

Naseby 16.45m

Postby Jimba » 25 Feb 2019 17:49

2nd time the event has been run, second time for me in it. Last year 2.05.55 was my time, I recall a good first 10miles and then fading badly. It’s hilly, nearly 300m of elevation.

So this is my year for pbs across the board. Training going well, at this point last year it had been practically nonexistent for 2months, weight 3lbs down on this time last year.....hoping to knock a good chunk off last years time.

Glorious weather, got to 13degrees by the time I finished, sunny, no wind. First 10miles are on average downhill a lot, but it is somewhat “up and downy”....I think that is a cartographers term :lol: completed in 1.11.21 which was about the same as last year. Whilst it was ok and broadly what I was aiming for, I had hoped to have done that bit holding a lot back and feel a lot fresher.....I didn’t!

Next 6.45 miles are up and uppy, some really tough hills that sapped pace and stamina. However, the miles in the bank and the longer runs I have been doing paid off. I knew I wasn’t going to break 2hours but was sure to be up on last year. A few paced it really well, cruising past but equally I went past a few too, so I knew I wasn’t in bad shape.

Finished in 2.02.59
Ag 2/20
Overall 39/470ish

So pleased it’s a pb, pleased I stayed strong for last 6, not so pleased that I didn’t break 2hours.

Have reflected...taper was ok, longer than I had planned as it wasn’t an A race, mileage and long runs have been good, weight down....all should have pointed to a good6/7 mins off last time. I am putting it down to “one of those days” where it was just not meant to be. Also, looking at last year, with the training I hadn’t done, I shouldn’t have done as well as I did :D

Oundle 20 in three weeks time, mara 4 after that. So far so good but no room for complacency methinks.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Naseby 16.45m

Postby jonathon.e » 01 Mar 2019 12:42

Great work, a podium in AG AGAIN, well done, and an overall finish up at the sharp end.
All the hard work paying off, with great PBs too.
A superb upward trajectory, keep it up :D :D

'Up and downy' :roll: honestly those cartographers today, :lol: :lol:
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 02 Mar 2019 09:10

jonathon.e wrote:Great work, a podium in AG AGAIN, well done, and an overall finish up at the sharp end.
All the hard work paying off, with great PBs too.
A superb upward trajectory, keep it up :D :D

'Up and downy' :roll: honestly those cartographers today, :lol: :lol:

Thanks Jon. Am really happy with how things are going but still conscious of the danger of pushing the training too hard, good results lead to “if only I had done some extra speed work sessions I would have achieved xyz” and therein lies injury!

Hope your IM prep is going well......progress update required!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 03 Mar 2019 16:45

You have to love the 'what ifs' with training. Hindsight may be 20/20 but it is a poisoned chalice to the mind.

I have posted a bit about my current state, I did it in general forum as it seems to be the place now. I will try and keep it up dated.
Best of luck with the training for your next marathon Jimba :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Mar 2019 18:13

Nice work Jimba.

Don’t be too sad about the not-going-under the 2 hours. That would have meant knocking over 11 seconds off each mile. Which is a fair chunk of time.

Really glad it’s going so well!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to General Discussion