Too much pie

General chat and questions go here

Too much pie

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Sep 2018 13:59

or, to put it another way, first parkrun since may 2017 done.

A bit over a year.

Anyway, objectives:

1) Don't stop! (Did chose quite a hilly one - down one side of the park, up the other, repeat for 3 times).

2) Keep up a steady effort... HR strap has been mislaid somewhere, and the battery is probably flat, but, the HR was definitely up for me, in terms of RPE.

3) Don't break.

4) About 25 mins hopefully.

Results:

1 - 3 were accomplished. I was well out with #4 though. Oh well. Manged to break 27 minutes though - so sub 5:30/km. And it's a benchmark.

Performance is a big pie graph made up of a thick crust of unfitness, and sumptuous filling of over +1 st in weight over the last outing, with lashings of the custard of old age.

2 of those triangles I can do something about. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Calves, quads are now stiff and sore. But nothing too remarkable.

Might have a crack again next week.

It was raining, so I probably slowed myself a good bit by wearing too much.

Need to see if I can be a couple of pounds lighter too.

But oh my, doesn't it feel good to have the endorphin rush back; certainly rolls back the metaphorical grey clouds.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: Too much pie

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Sep 2018 17:48

Great stuff.
Excellent news you are back out on the parkrun trail.
Trainers ? Bare foot, five fingers, flats, cushioned trainers?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 09 Sep 2018 08:22

Great to hear you are back Jack, staying unbroken trumps all other objectives!

Ref the custard, I was looking at the Vitruvian results yesterday and it struck me how good the performances of people with lashings of custard were, compared to 5-10years ago. There are some amazing results in the 55-59 and 60-64 groups on a few races I have done including yesterday’s (not that I did it yesterday!). I am putting it down to a large cohort of people who took up racing/fitness in their 40s and are just moving up the age range. An alternative explanation is more are retiring early and devoting more time to training etc. One way or the other those podiums are just as difficult :lol:
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Sep 2018 08:09

jonathon.e wrote:Great stuff.
Excellent news you are back out on the parkrun trail.
Trainers ? Bare foot, five fingers, flats, cushioned trainers?

10 year old garmin
5 year old trainers (not many miles on them).

Got about 5 years of running until I need some new ones.

Legs held up. Terrific DOMS in every leg muscle - calves, quads, hams, glutes. Don't anything anything is abnormal - calf was a bit tight before, might come out a bit tight afterwards.

Looking forward to going again. Tipped down all morning, so didn't get out the bike. Just had a reasonable walk in the late afternoon/evening.

Will probably try a 15 - 20 mins run tonight. Very slowly.

Consistency is key, after all. At this stage I would prefer to run very slowly than not at all.

Really need to shift the weight though, which will be challenging.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Sep 2018 08:17

Jimba wrote:Great to hear you are back Jack, staying unbroken trumps all other objectives!

Ref the custard, I was looking at the Vitruvian results yesterday and it struck me how good the performances of people with lashings of custard were, compared to 5-10years ago. There are some amazing results in the 55-59 and 60-64 groups on a few races I have done including yesterday’s (not that I did it yesterday!). I am putting it down to a large cohort of people who took up racing/fitness in their 40s and are just moving up the age range. An alternative explanation is more are retiring early and devoting more time to training etc. One way or the other those podiums are just as difficult :lol:

What I have consistently noted, in park run, is that the age group above me (i.e. yours) does consistently better, both median and mean, than my age group.

Small population (after 70 runners)

Top 3 VM 55+

10th @ 23:08
14th @ 23:45
26th @ 27:05

Top 3 VM 50+

5th @ 22:16
23rd @ 26:29
24th @ 26:56

Median 23:45 vs. 26:29
Mean 24:39 vs 25:14

Obviously, the running rot set in the year I was born ;)

p.s. it's quite a tough course as the times reflect, only the first finisher was under 20 minutes on Saturday.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Sep 2018 08:19

On the subject of trainers, the "on cloud" seem to be the "thought leaders" at the moment.

I'm currently using Inov-8 road-x 233: light (233g in size 8), flexible foot bed/sole, 6mm heel to toe drop.

Cloud - x: similar sort of weight, flexible foot bed/sole, 6mm heel to toe drop + more cushioning (according to the blurb).

Obviously, they cost a lot and don't last that long.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 10 Sep 2018 08:30

Jack Hughes wrote:On the subject of trainers, the "on cloud" seem to be the "thought leaders" at the moment.

I'm currently using Inov-8 road-x 233: light (233g in size 8), flexible foot bed/sole, 6mm heel to toe drop.

Cloud - x: similar sort of weight, flexible foot bed/sole, 6mm heel to toe drop + more cushioning (according to the blurb).

Obviously, they cost a lot and don't last that long.

I had not heard of them before, but just looked at them, very pricey for a short life trainer, but well regarded. It seems, capable of being used for training and racing. If they drop in price ( end of season sale ), I may look at them more.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 04 Oct 2018 07:56

Well that went well.

Second run. Got into a terrific battle with another VM50+. It must have looked like two speed limited HGVs trying to overtake it each other on the motorway.

Anyway, pushed too hard. Calf broke.

Missed two. Some tentative runs-with-dog over the last few days and I think I am good to go again.

However, need a lot more strength and fitness in the muscles before pushing hard.

So going to run the next one at an easier pace.

Really doing it for motivation/objective and working towards the next tee-shirt. Really need to be doing something midweek. Konsistency being King and all that.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 04 Oct 2018 12:12

Great that you are still giving it to the other runners.

How long to go before the next T-shirt?

Motivation through injury is tough, stepping stones to a goal

Nice interview with Amy Williams on BBC Breakfast ( Thursday Morning ), unfortunately she was interviewed by Naga ( I do wish that the producers would have a responsible adult on when she interviews, but I digress ). Amy discussed how broken her body was but how it did not diminish from her doing exercise and keeping fit. Simply philosophy to my train to the point where it is rest or recovery not rehabilitation.

Hope the calf isn't too broken.
jonathon.e

Postby Bopomofo » 04 Oct 2018 13:04

Ah, the old pie problem...

Motivation through injury is tough, stepping stones to a goal

All through July / August I was having recurring calf problems: run for say 10-15 minutes then the mystery sniper would pop out of a bush and shoot me in the right calf. Bang!

It felt like a sudden sharp cramp, very severe, reducing me to hopping. Sometimes I'd get some warning (assume this was the heat of the laser sight before he fired) and obviously think I could run it off before BANG! Another bullseye.

The last time it happened there was a fair bit of swelling and some visible bruising halfway up my calf. I was limping when walking.

So, after my summer holiday, where I got back in the water and did 10k over the two weeks, I decided to try being a grown up about it. I have started doing calf exercises, just like the physio said years ago when this happened. Active stretching is the key, to the point of muscle tiredness and lactic burn.

I started doing 1 min walk / 1 min slow run. Then 1:2 . All on the same flat local 6km route. Crucially, as soon as I felt even the vaguest hint of tightness I stopped and walked home.

After three walk/runs per week for 5 weeks I'm now adding in the occasional 3 min section. There's also a long slight downhill right in the middle of my route which has turned into a steady 1km run section. From today I'm upping it to 1min walk / 3mins run.

It has been incredibly difficult not to let this turn to frustration, but a review of some of the Sufferfest Mental Training Program notes has helped me turn it into a positive: this is what will allow me to keep running for many more years instead of being angry and frustrated. Based on this, I'm actually enjoying the process. I'm almost taking it too slow as I enjoy the anticipation of the final goal.

Take it steady, Jack. You're already doing much more than average. No need to go for the win just yet!

And you've reminded me to buy some new trainers.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Next

Return to General Discussion