It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

General chat and questions go here

Re: It’s a Training log......MK marathon 7 May

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Apr 2018 10:41

Jack Hughes wrote:
jonathon.e wrote: thought the race was on the Sunday, not the bank holiday Monday, so it won't be what I envisaged

You could always go a bit slower ;)

:lol:
At my speed, I would have difficulty catching an asthmatic snail carrying heavy shopping bags :(
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Kevy427 » 08 Apr 2018 13:43

I do believe it was an asthmatic ant #BlackAdder
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Jimba » 08 Apr 2018 18:15

Week 2, as expected no training at the weekend....but what an absolutely fabulous day though, speech went down well and so did the de rigour singing from the father of the bride :lol:

So 37.4 k running with furthest only being a 10k, together with 1hr 40 on turbo.

Bought some Nike Zoom fly shoes, tested them on a day when legs were tired, not very comfortable so will re-try on fresh legs to see if it is anything to do with pace/form.

Must bounce back with a big week next week as the window for training hard is closing fast!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Apr 2018 19:25

Kevy427 wrote:I do believe it was an asthmatic ant #BlackAdder

Like a man wearing a pair of orthotics, I stand corrected :oops:
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 15 Apr 2018 18:27

Week 3. Needed a big week...and got one. 10.5 hrs, 7 running and the rest spinning on the turbo.

70k running with 2x10 miles and a 10k and the rest bits and pieces, most on muddy tracks/fields so all a bit of a slog.

No niggles so happy with progress.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jimba » 22 Apr 2018 14:59

Week 4, last proper training week. 70k with one 11.5 miler in there. 45mins on turbo.

Am concerned that I don’t have the long runs under my belt and looking at previous results it is not a particularly fast course. Starting to think I might have been a bit ambitious :lol:

Good news is no niggles and weight down a bit :D
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 22 Apr 2018 21:02

Jimba wrote:Week 4, last proper training week. 70k with one 11.5 miler in there. 45mins on turbo.

Am concerned that I don’t have the long runs under my belt and looking at previous results it is not a particularly fast course. Starting to think I might have been a bit ambitious :lol:

Good news is no niggles and weight down a bit :D

Worry ye not sir, for a man who fears nothing is a fool. Long distance racing is a constantly changing playing field dependant on a multiple number of factors. Runners world or some other magazine did its usual guide for training for a marathon a few years ago, unfortunately due to there not being a responsible adult available to proof read it, they published a training guide to a half marathon, after the London marathon they received a number of letters saying thank you for getting them a PB after using their guide.
Much of LD racing is mental strength, and breaking down the race, as you know what time you want to finish it in, break it down, so at any moment you know where you are and what you need to do. It's your first, a learning curve, a huge one at that.
Regarding lack of long runs, no worries, by doing regular shorter runs, you have prevented injury, and conditioned your body, if there is a downside, it is the extended recovery after the race, not the race in itself. You will be fine, everybody wishes they could do more training, just go out and show those young upstarts how to do it properly. :D
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 22 Apr 2018 22:02

Thanks Jon....legs have felt pretty battered the last couple of weeks which doesn’t help the confidence, am trusting that the spring comes back as the taper starts.

I trust that your final training has gone well?
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 22 Apr 2018 22:34

Jimba wrote:Thanks Jon....legs have felt pretty battered the last couple of weeks which doesn’t help the confidence, am trusting that the spring comes back as the taper starts.

I trust that your final training has gone well?

Your legs are not battered, they are battle worn and conditioned, ready to take on the marathon.

As for my training, well, not as well as I would have liked, but adapt and change, and hopefully it will reap the benefits in the end, I have a plan, that may not work, but, it could, if it does I will tell, if it doesn't well, at least I tried something different :lol:

But hopefully I can start the race fit to finish. As for my taper, it will consist of four days travelling doing very little :shock:
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 23 Apr 2018 17:50

“As for my training, well, not as well as I would have liked......”

It was ever thus :D

We all know the quotes about how long plans survive first contact, but I am supremely confident in your ability to respond 8-)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion