What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

General chat and questions go here

Re: What are everyone's aspirations for the year?

Postby jonathon.e » 19 Mar 2018 09:45

Jimba wrote:Impressive. An Ironman is on my to do list but never had the discipline to train for it and the clock is obviously ticking....very loudly :)

With your years of experience I am confident you will be on that start line in a good enough state to “enjoy” it ;)

Sound like you have a great holiday tacked onto it too.

Keep us posted.

Thank you Jimba, I will try :D

Hopefully I will get to write up a report as I recuperate .
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby S11 » 20 Mar 2018 14:57

Kinda focusing on just getting back to fitness. Pretty much my Master degree has taken up more time than I thought it would and the bulk of it is just about done. Ok...dissertation next year but at least I can manage time better.

So - its about finding the energy to train after spending:

a) so much time working away from home and getting unfit and fat
b) training to get back to where I felt I could get to.

As I'm 40 this year, decided that I would go and do a race. Orginally I had wanted to do the Tour Sportive, but given I'm only just getting back on the training wagon then I delayed it.....until March 2019 and I return to the home of my very first trip racing abroad. Abu Dhabi :D :D :D :D
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby jonathon.e » 20 Mar 2018 15:31

S11 wrote:Kinda focusing on just getting back to fitness. Pretty much my Master degree has taken up more time than I thought it would and the bulk of it is just about done. Ok...dissertation next year but at least I can manage time better.

As I'm 40 this year, decided that I would go and do a race. Orginally I had wanted to do the Tour Sportive, but given I'm only just getting back on the training wagon then I delayed it.....until March 2019 and I return to the home of my very first trip racing abroad. Abu Dhabi :D :D :D :D

Ooh 40, you youngster Steve ;) new age group new you. Hopefully they might have sorted out the Abu Dhabi racetrack by the time you race there after the ITU crash extravaganza this year. Best of luck with the dissertation.
jonathon.e

Postby S11 » 22 Mar 2018 15:04

jonathon.e wrote:
S11 wrote:Kinda focusing on just getting back to fitness. Pretty much my Master degree has taken up more time than I thought it would and the bulk of it is just about done. Ok...dissertation next year but at least I can manage time better.

Ooh 40, you youngster Steve ;) new age group new you. Hopefully they might have sorted out the Abu Dhabi racetrack by the time you race there after the ITU crash extravaganza this year. Best of luck with the dissertation.

Nah think I move up the Age Group next year....might be wrong. The Age Group race for AD is different to the ITU race but you never know, little bit of rain.....and its slippery slippery
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Mar 2018 09:28

Main focus is on work at the moment... rapidly heading towards a new age category next year.

Body not really bearing up in the way I would like it to though, so limit ambitions at the moment. Health/fitness/base.

Nice cobbled ride on limited fitness tomorrow (Saturday). All the training for it today (Friday).

I've entered a total warrior obstacle thing (work team building exercise really, but need to get enough fitness/strength to not slow all the kiddies down).

Probably going to do the local charity road sportive in July that I've done the last couple of years - with a bit extra riding to the start/back from finish to get it up to a century.

Really need to return to the gym for swimming/base fitness.

Starting back with a bit of racket sports for general fitness too.

Fattest I've been for 10 years, which isn't good.

Hoping for some nice weather to restart commuting. I had a good commuting 3 months at the end of 2016, which left me utterly worn out by the start of 2017, which was a bit disappointing, so need a slightly different strategy.

Might do the Tour of the South Pennines again if I get some interesting (100 miles, 4000m of lovely climbing, making it one of the toughest rides in the UK, just saying).
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Bopomofo » 26 Mar 2018 00:16

IM before 50. Had my 48th bday on March 1st this year. There is work to do if I'm doing IM next year.

My sensible head allows me a safety goal of 'IM by the end of my 50th year', which at least gives me more options to combine with a summer holiday in a location that might get the family on-board.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 26 Mar 2018 17:20

Bopomofo wrote:IM before 50. Had my 48th bday on March 1st this year. There is work to do if I'm doing IM next year.

My sensible head allows me a safety goal of 'IM by the end of my 50th year', which at least gives me more options to combine with a summer holiday in a location that might get the family on-board.

Ooh very nice, any tentative ideas on location for the IM ??
jonathon.e

Postby Bopomofo » 26 Mar 2018 18:51

jonathon.e wrote:Ooh very nice, any tentative ideas on location for the IM ??

If I stayed local then it would be Wales 2019 or 2020, or Bolton 2020.

If overseas, Barcelona 2019 would be an easy sell to Mrs. Bopo, depending on work. Or Lanza 2020.

Straying away from 'the brand', which I really should do, there's a load of choice in the South. Being more sensible one of the New Forest long distance races wouldn't be a bad day out. Apart from the whole 'iron distance race' aspect of it.

It all relies on me getting a lot of ducks in a row personally, physically, medically bla bla bla though.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby jonathon.e » 26 Mar 2018 19:15

Lanza would be a nice tick in the box, particularly as it is one of the hardest. With the glut of Iron Distance races these days, the IM brand ones don't fill up as quickly, so plenty of choice. :D
jonathon.e

Postby Jimba » 26 Mar 2018 21:19

Bopo, I will follow with interest. It’s a great target to aim for, I have given myself a bit more leeway.......before I am 60 :D or more precisely in my 60th calendar year. :lol:

I know it has been said before, but I do find motivation in booking an event, my training drifts badly without one.

Best of luck....and stay consistently unbroken ;) ;)
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion