British Cycling malarkey...

General chat and questions go here

British Cycling malarkey...

Postby kfjatek » 28 Apr 2016 22:21

Is it me, or is somebody trying to gain from the whole story here and/or have a sweet revenge...?

Gender inequality in cycling is a lamentable fact, and far from being unique to the UK. If Sutton had indeed behaved in the alleged way, he of course deserves the sack, but all of a sudden various folks are trying to connect dots that are probably too far apart to connect. I smell spin.

:ugeek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Re: British Cycling malarkey...

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Apr 2016 08:13

kfjatek wrote:Is it me, or is somebody trying to gain from the whole story here and/or have a sweet revenge...?

Gender inequality in cycling is a lamentable fact, and far from being unique to the UK. If Sutton had indeed behaved in the alleged way, he of course deserves the sack, but all of a sudden various folks are trying to connect dots that are probably too far apart to connect. I smell spin.

:ugeek:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issues have been bubbling under for years - lots of mutterings, the occasional outing (e.g. Cooke's autobiography).

So it's not new, and it has substance.

What has changed is that Sutton, since 2014, has been in a completely different role. Think football manager.

And the programme hasn't been going the way it should have done - lots of failures in the various world cups, and not that good a world champs. The muck up over qualification etc. etc.

Sutton's approach to the Media hasn't helped him - he came out and fought his corner by saying "I shouldn't be judged on 2012, but on 2020 performance".

Anyway, I think it's less that people are out to get him, but that the reasons for continuing to support him are falling away. And so everything is starting to come out.

He may have lots of great qualities, but they're not ones for the job he is doing, which is much more a political post than a technical one (despite the name).
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Return to General Discussion