London Marathon 2016

General chat and questions go here

Re: London Marathon 2016

Postby Bopomofo » 25 Apr 2016 08:27

Just seen the unofficial timings: Major Tim did 3:35.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby kfjatek » 25 Apr 2016 10:24

Well done everyone! Great results all-round, really impressed and pi$$ed off at the same time as none of you seem to have held the ethos of the club (to be leading from the back) dear to your heart. :lol:

Make sure you post your stuff to the Club Champs thread!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby md6 » 25 Apr 2016 19:19

Good to know there still some time left on the clock for you bopo.

You're right it isn't just about fun...but marathons are fucking horrible. Of the 3 i've done they have all hurt more than the iron distances i've done...all 3 have done.

The atmosphere at London is electric though, and the only reason i would consider doing another one, or perhaps boston if i was ever fast enough, but i am not right now so its not a problem! Going out and having a good time at London is a great idea (if you're up to it) just amble round at whatever pace, enjoy the cheering, shouting, funny signs at the side of the road and the noise, just the noise as you head through the cutty sark and canary wharf is just incredible. Fingers crossed you will be able to do it next year...its great! I'm half tempted to enter the ballot again
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Kevy427 » 25 Apr 2016 20:39

md6 - are you able to walk up stairs? I really do hope you can't ;) :lol:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby andyb99 » 27 Apr 2016 12:56

md6 wrote:Good to know there still some time left on the clock for you bopo.

You're right it isn't just about fun...but marathons are fucking horrible. Of the 3 i've done they have all hurt more than the iron distances i've done...all 3 have done.

The atmosphere at London is electric though, and the only reason i would consider doing another one, or perhaps boston if i was ever fast enough, but i am not right now so its not a problem! Going out and having a good time at London is a great idea (if you're up to it) just amble round at whatever pace, enjoy the cheering, shouting, funny signs at the side of the road and the noise, just the noise as you head through the cutty sark and canary wharf is just incredible. Fingers crossed you will be able to do it next year...its great! I'm half tempted to enter the ballot again

I cannot agree with this enough...its like nothing race wise you've every experienced and i think even if you had to walk the whole thing you should still do it.....this year i did well enough to catch some of the back runners who were passing by the halfway point as i was coming into mile 20/21 (i think) in the other direction...there were none at all of course last time as i was too slow myself....i cant tell you how inspired i was to keep on running even though my legs were by this point totally toasted...and i cheered them on myself and told them to keep going....its about this all over and an incredible thing to be part of.

thanks by the way for the support in this thread and on FB...its ace knowing people are watching out for you while you are in it and i always look forward to seeing the real time reactions of people to what we are all doing.
andyb99
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 03 May 2016 17:26

It was horrendous. My worst time out of all 6 marathons I have done and hurt the most too. Looking back I should have deferred. I hadn't done the long runs due to various things (longest was 13.1 a few weeks before) and my prep in the last 6 weeks or so was far from the best. I got away with it in 2012, but not this time. Need to remember I'm not getting any younger or lighter :roll: :lol: But I got round, despite my knee hurting by mile 3 and the rest of me following suit. Legs were ruined by mile 15 and it the rest of it was a slog, but despite walking a few times I wasn't never going to quit. Had to remind myself I'm an Outlaw/Isoman a few times though.

BUT the atmosphere in London is amazing. I've not done any of the other majors like New York (yet anyway), but it's an amazing experience. The crowds are unbelievable and will get you round. I started to walk coming out of the tunnel on the Embankment but must have done less than 10 steps before I was running again due to all the shouting and cheering. It's definitely something people should experience and one of my favourite races. My favourite t-shirt of the day said 'Smile. You paid to do this'. Got me chuckling at around mile 23.

One day I may run that GFA time, but first I need to try and fix myself better (and wait a few years till I'm 40 when it's 5 mins slower!) and stop working so many hours.

Well done everyone running. Fantastic times and PBs.
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Previous

Return to General Discussion