Well done, TfL

General chat and questions go here

Re: Well done, TfL

Postby Seasider71 » 01 Oct 2015 13:22

So why spend £30m on a garden bridge if the budget constraints are so bad ??
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ris » 01 Oct 2015 14:25

i have no idea! i'm not a fan of that project, for lots of reasons, but it's been around for longer and so possibly funding streams and budget allocations were assigned to it. politically it has been a nightmare and i am wondering if it will even happen, particularly as lambeth council have said they won't support it unless that £30m of tfl funding is pulled.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby md6 » 01 Oct 2015 14:44

ris wrote:i have no idea! i'm not a fan of that project, for lots of reasons, but it's been around for longer and so possibly funding streams and budget allocations were assigned to it. politically it has been a nightmare and i am wondering if it will even happen, particularly as lambeth council have said they won't support it unless that £30m of tfl funding is pulled.

The funding for that hasn't yet been secured so it could (and IMO should) be cancelled very easily. The issue I see with this is that the funding for a sporting event was to come out of the transport budget...Why?

That bridge truly is an unnecessary waste of money and I don't know anyone who thinks its a good idea...
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby S11 » 02 Oct 2015 13:17

ris wrote:i am sure that from tfl's point of view the idea spending £30m+ to get a £100m benefit isn't lost, but it isn't them that get the £100m - it is an economic benefit spread widely across many businesses and groups. for tfl they spend £30m and not know what they might get back, i can imagine that in their current budget constrained climate that is too big a risk. tfl are trying to negotiate (if that is the right word for it ;)) extending the running times for underground trains with the associated costs for this, and i believe are currently cutting staff on the new routemaster buses. can you imagine going into these discussions saying there is no money after agreeing £30m+ with TdF!

similar for w2y - yorkshire may have seen a huge benefit, but w2y itself, that put up the funding for the event, have ended up with a loss. pricing novelty tat is clearly a hard game, and i guess everyone needs time to make sure their income sources are well established to minimise the risks.

succinctly put.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Previous

Return to General Discussion