Do you truly race?

General chat and questions go here

Do you truly race?

Postby TRIumphant » 15 Jan 2010 13:20

Just wondering who of you actually go flat-out during a Tri and consider they have truly raced it, eventhough. deep down you realise that you haven't really got any chance of winning it, or even getting a podium finish, or do most just rise to the challenge to be the best you can on the day?
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Do you truly race?

Postby didds » 15 Jan 2010 13:24

I went as flat out as I could without actually falling over at the cotswolds sprint last year... and it was "just for me" in reality as I will never be getting close to anything but the top half of the BoP!. I didn't seem to push Highworth as hard but that may have been perception as the course profile was very different and three races in 4 weeks in the end probably proved too much.

didds
didds
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Tritans » 15 Jan 2010 14:04

I have gone flat out in every race I've entered. Although I've not once thought about where I may finish, as I don't want any (more) negative thoughts going through my head during a race.
I'd love to try to take it a bit easier on the bike just once to see how much of a difference it makes to my run, but in reality the second I get on my bike it all goes out the window.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby md6 » 15 Jan 2010 14:17

I think sometime i go too balls out for my level of fitness. In all my events last year bar one (my first strangely enough) I went too hard in the swim, early on the bike and the first few k of the run only to see myself 'blow up' or have some other mishap :x . This year, i think my pacing needs to be better, my fitness and strength need to be better and i need to realise that I am not going to run beat my pb for a 'normal' run at the end of a tri - well it is highly unlikely and setting off a normal race pace at the start is likely to lead to a blow up - again because i will relax into the run and pick up the pace as i go. Also as my swim technique improves i am finding i'm faster when i don't 'try to go fast' but try to go with good technique.
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Bopomofo » 15 Jan 2010 15:19

Guess it is a personal thing. I've always been a 'leave it all on the course' person. I hate having the feeling that I could have gone quicker.

I'm learning to pace things a bit, though, using my swimming ability to cruise the swim at medium effort rather than caning it. For everything else I am just flat out and hanging in there.

This year will be a big test of maturity when I'm going to try and 'just finish' Swashbuckler 70.3 rather than finish it as best as I can. My A race is two weeks later so I'll try to ease up. We shall see.

Generally, if I'm not 2 minutes away from needing an ambulance when I cross the line then I feel I have failed.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby malteser » 15 Jan 2010 15:28

I usually try to make sure that I survive all 3 events. So I don't think I give 110% on the swim and the bike ... just because I don't want to risk a DNF and last year was not at a fitness level where I could guarantee that tthat wasn't going to happen. When I know I'm going to finish (i.e. usually the last 2k on the run) then I try and dig deep and push harder (if there's anything left to give) and get to the point where projectile vomiting and/or feinting is a real risk immediately after crossing the finish line.
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby garyroberts » 15 Jan 2010 15:35

Tritans wrote:I'd love to try to take it a bit easier on the bike just once to see how much of a difference it makes to my run, but in reality the second I get on my bike it all goes out the window.

That's a great quote, and I have thought the exact same thing myself, only to do the exact same thing on the bike! :D

As for the racing question itself. I'm an all out man, the whole way, I'm no good at swimming, biking or running and my bodies given up on me but I do have a die hard attitude to racing, so i just go at it as hard as i can. It worries me that this year I will be doing my first OD's and that I will probably die in the first 3k of the run due to the insane effort (note i didn't say speed) that I will be putting in on the bike.

Good thread :)
Swim like a brick, cycle like a sail, run like constipation
garyroberts
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby jac » 15 Jan 2010 15:36

My first race I was left feeling 'I could have gone quicker' and that I held back on the bike so I could run a decent split.
But since then I've never left anything in the tank..
jac
Posts a bit, but not too much

Postby S11 » 15 Jan 2010 15:44

[quoteIt worries me that this year I will be doing my first OD's and that I will probably die in the first 3k of the run due to the insane effort (note i didn't say speed) that I will be putting in on the bike.][/quote]

My first OD, done great on the swim, fecked the bike leg and ran like hell for the first 5k only to flag badly on the last 5k.

Wouldn't worry too much Gaz.. its all part of the experience. Despite my crap efforts, I still loved it.

With regards to the thread, here's my take on my maiden season.

My first tri I was all over the place, being all nicey nicey as I wanted to be part of the scene. I remember getting my photo taken on the first tri and smiling for it. In terms of how I feel, I was too respectful in that I was conscious of how poor I was and not to hamper anyone, so in that respect I can honestly say I didn't truely race.

This season will be different, my competitive edge that was missing is back and I don't like getting beat. Sometimes this can be the undoing but I'm prepared for the lung bursting, stomach popping, eye bleeding... I want to race to see what I can do
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby malteser » 15 Jan 2010 15:48

I agree with Shadow - this season will be different, especially the sprints - i do a number of local ones where I've posted consistent (but crap) times. This year I plan to absolutely give 150% from the off and see what happens - I want to take 5 minutes off last year's time at the very least. Las year was about finishing - this year the sprints will be about times (on OD and HIM I think I'm still going to pace it until I'm confident enough in my fitness to blast all 3)
malteser
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Next

Return to General Discussion