Battle of the Dinosaurs. stage 2

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Battle of the Dinosaurs. stage 2

Postby Jack Hughes » 02 Dec 2013 08:33

But of an odd stage, this one.

For reasons which will appear obvious, we couldn't get a head to head.

So someone had the bright idea of a weightloss challenge.

Who could lose the biggest percentage of body mass in the month. With a one minute time bonus.
Jon'e takes up the story

Stage 2

Planes, ferries and motor homes.

Due to the logistical problems of a head to head race, by me being somewhat out of the country, in New Zealand, it was decided that the only way was a weight loss challenge. Advantage Jack, as I would be unable to get in some training, a month off exercise to try and unwind and spend some time with Mrs J.

With the lack of specific training, I looked slightly outside the box to lose some weight. 

Eat regularly, instead of the shift work eat when I can, breakfast, would consist of eggs, usually boiled, and toast, or cereals, occasionally pancakes, a light dinner, and a cooked tea. Three meals and very few sweets/chocolates.  Lunch was usually the Australasian staple of pie and muffins.

As well as eating regularly, the compulsory sampling of NZ wine was par taken, quite a lot as well.
I also took the opportunity to wear my five fingers for the first time, despite having them sitting in a box for two years, as well as using them I also tried to do knee strengthening exercises to condition my legs a little better.
The first use of the VFF, was a three mile rough track walk, and the following day my legs felt like they were run over by a tuck, but I persisted, for the holiday, and will see if they have made an impact when I run for the first time later in the week.

But after a month, I lost 3lbs 8 oz.

For those that are thinking of following the 30 day in NZ weight loss plan, it consisted of,
Being on the same outbound flight as the England netball squad.
Sharing a campsite with a reality TV series, parking our RV next to them.
Sharing a campsite with the GB,Russian and Croatian rafting teams in the area for the World championships ( I didn't realise the country had one ).
Lending salt to the Russian woman's team for their tea ( that's one condiment you would have thought they would have).
Attempting to find the USLH, swimming with seals, and dolphins, the later was over the Kaikoura Chasm, a deep sea trench depth about 1500m, this trench captures the micro nutrients for a variety of sea life due to the Antarctic sea current bringing it in, the sea life consists of dolphins, whales, orcas, and the Giant/colossal squid, with the underwater visibility of less than 5m goodness knows what was lurking in the murky underworld?

I won't bore you with any other details, other than apparently C4 are doing a documentary on the incident at work last month, so when I find the details out, I will post them.

Advantage?

This was firmly with Jon.e. A month away from the stresses, strains and crap canteen food. Lots of fresh air and exercise.

I was already at my lowest weight for 18 months having desperately tried to shift some stuff prior to the hill climbs.

I'm also not interested in dieting. Just trying to eat well and with slightly reduced portions. A listen to the body approach.

So I actually managed to out on a couple of pounds. Then lose them. The lose another 2. Then put one back on.

To be honest, weight can be +/- a couple of pounds each day, depending on when you ate etc.

The key thing is that my waist is smaller and my body fat percentage down.

And I am running as fast as I ever have - even though I am still 9lbs above racing weight.

Just need to recover that minute in the next event.

Jon.e -3.8lbs
Jh -1.4lbs.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: Battle of the Dinosaurs. stage 2

Postby King Sad » 02 Dec 2013 22:14

Well done chaps; a fine inspiration to all :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jimba » 06 Dec 2013 22:30

So how is that scored? And what is next on the list?
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Dec 2013 11:56

Jimba wrote:So how is that scored? And what is next on the list?

The one with the highest percentage weightloss gained 1 min in the GC, it was the simplest way of scoring, as for the next event, we are just finalising the event, there will be little doubt of who will win, but the betting will be on, by how much, oh, and fancy dress ( seasonal ), may be involved.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Dec 2013 12:02

The simple matter of running up to the top of a mountain. And back down. Dressed as father Christmas.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Dec 2013 12:10

Jack Hughes wrote:The simple matter of running up to the top of a mountain. And back down. Dressed as father Christmas.

And there will definetly be no Ho Ho Hoing going on
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Dec 2013 13:04

More "heave ho" than "ho ho"?
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Return to Race Reports