Exmoor Beast - Year 2

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Exmoor Beast - Year 2

Postby wannabetri » 26 Oct 2013 07:33

Where: Tiverton and then all over Exmoor.
When: 20th October
Organiser: MIG events
Course details: Hills, hills and more hills and a bit of rolling terrain. 3 Cattle Grids
Distance(s): 100 miles or 100 kilometers
Marshalling: Lots of bike marshalls, I didn't get lost so signage was good. Turn off for 100km was a hand written sign by a child
Facilities: Parking, changing, toilets, aid stations
Freebies: Buff, Drawstring Bag, Beer

My Race:
After last years absolute disaster in the worst weather I've ever gone cycling in, I was a little more enthused about this years prospectus. Especially with so many of the club doing it................oh, everyone else dropped out you say.............just you and JodyBear........ah well. Chin Up!

The weather was the focus of the week and the forecast looked pretty reasonable. Chance of shower, mild temperatures and windy conditions that was going to be a hindrance in the mid section of the course but an aid towards the end.

The race start had more to Tiverton and the course profile looked as though most of the climbing would be done in the first 40miles. I was partially right. Rode out the start with Jody and tootled along having a good chat. The rain started falling, the rain jackets went on. The rain stopped, it warmed up, the rain jackets came off. I stopped for a pee (5miles in). It was my 5th of the morning.....I hadn't started drinking anymore than usual but have been trying to lose some kilo's and apparently water loss for lack of retention came be a side affect. We hit the first climb and Jody wished me well. I was grateful, I wanted it to go well.

After the first climb, I came to realise that I may have made a mistake in not really checking the gearing on my bike. Having no where else to go on the gears on the first climb which wasn;t the steepest didn't bode well. The roads were pretty decent and the scenery just amazing. Riding around what I think was the bottom of Wimbleball lake was cool. The first aid station came after 2 hours and had a good feed and topped up water bottles. Grabbed the car keys of Jody..............I'd totally be back first IF he does the 100mile options......he said he would! ;)

About 8miles later and I recognise the course. We're where the course ended/started last year.......the Beacon is coming up. I managed the first stretch of the climb and over the uphill cattle grid. I was already in the smallest gear (43/26) and having to mix some powerful out the saddle to a few turns in the saddle. I was breathing like an asthmatic and I'm not one. I managed to get what I felt was 3/4 of the way up the climb until we turned a corner and it kicked up and on......I unclipped and walked the last bit which did seem to take forever. I can't honestly remember the last time I had to walk a climb on the road. I got over the top and new that the course would be a little quicker now.

I managed to start riding people and asking them for the distance covered so far. The first person told me 43miles done.......most of the climbing done! Whoopee. I set about making up some much needed time. I had wanted to do a time somewhere between 6:30 and 7:00 hours. I was ages behind. The flatter rolling terrain and amazing views from the top of Exmoor were just perfect. The speed was up there, big chainring for the first time and absolutely giving it some. Ticked off the miles. Now 57miles down......aid station for some water and then up a short sharp 16% hill, managed this one! Coming to the turn from home the roads sweep across the top of the Exmoor around hills and wind into your face, then hidden from it. A couple of times the wind managed to shift my bike a few inches. A little treacherous.....too treacherous for one person who had been blown across a cattle grid, crashed and into the side of a car. When I get there, ambulances, police cars and a helicopter....road closed.

The race went all cyclo-cross with people climbing walls and electrified fences. Hearing guys yelp was kind of amusing. I personally did get a shock other than my hamstring cramping! :lol: Hammer time happened and was flying again. Last aid station....22miles to go. 1hr 10 to get under 7 hours. I checked my phone. Jody was doing the 100km, I knew he'd be back before but I had a renewed impetus to get back asap.

Everything went sweetly. Miles were ticking off, signs of Tiverton started appearing. 9miles to go. 7miles to go. BOOM, PPPPPSSSSS. Oh, puncture. Check back wheel, tire looks worn heavily in one area, a bit frayed but no holes.......put new tube in.......oh, hole BOOM, PPPPSSSSS. Ah. One tube left, one hole in tire wall. Call Jody, might have a problem here! Out comes the tape. Tape over the hole, multiple times, new tube. Pump up.......looks to be holding. Wheel, 2 miles ticked off, 5miles to go. BOOM, PPPPSSSS. C*ck.

Call Jody - I'm walking back. Get about a mile up the road, one lad (finally) asks how I am. HE has a trick. Business card, wrapped in sandwich bag from aid station, put into inner side of the tire, new tube........yes.........oh no. Pumping it up we manage to bend the nozzle, it just deflates over and over again. :cry: Marshall arrives, another tube!!!1 It pumps up, the wheel goes in. I cycle rather precariously back to home base and see Jody sitting there looking lonely and well happy! :lol:

Time taken the better part of 8:15, Expected time I was on for 7:05. So an 1hr 10 for the last 7miles......... Amazing ride though, back next year for sure!
27/05 Nuffield OD; 09/06 Manc 50m TT; 10/06 Barton Marina OD; 30/06 Manc 50m TT; 01/07 Outlaw IM Swim; 14/07 - 3km OW Marlow; 15/07 Marlow OD; AG LD World Champs 29/07; Club relays 25+26/08;
wannabetri
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Re: Exmoor Beast - Year 2

Postby kfjatek » 26 Oct 2013 08:01

Sounds like an epic adventure, even with the final few miles. Well done on sticking to your guns and finishing rather than jumping on the broom wagon. IF my climbing improves / my weight goes down by that time, I might join you on the start line next year.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
SGM

Postby King Sad » 26 Oct 2013 08:47

Well done :D Triple kevlar armadillo tyres next time? Expect a sub 7 then :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Jack Hughes » 26 Oct 2013 09:29

@cregg: Your event photo frOm last year ranks on my all time most miserable event photos ever!

Hope this year hasn't outdone it.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Big_Show » 26 Oct 2013 11:01

What an end to the day! I don't think I'd have even made it that far!
Big_Show

Postby wannabetri » 26 Oct 2013 11:35

Jack Hughes wrote:@cregg: Your event photo frOm last year ranks on my all time most miserable event photos ever!

Hope this year hasn't outdone it.

It might have actually.......think I'll be walking in one of them! :lol:
27/05 Nuffield OD; 09/06 Manc 50m TT; 10/06 Barton Marina OD; 30/06 Manc 50m TT; 01/07 Outlaw IM Swim; 14/07 - 3km OW Marlow; 15/07 Marlow OD; AG LD World Champs 29/07; Club relays 25+26/08;
wannabetri

Postby Bendy Ben » 30 Oct 2013 19:14

Nice work mate - suprised you walked - why was that ? conditioning, fitness, road conditions

still mucho respect for not taking the sag wagon.... great report.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby wannabetri » 03 Nov 2013 12:14

Walked because I had shit gearing and not enough left over strength to grind the 'small' gear. Plus the weight is coming down but not quite happy figure yet. We'll get there!
wannabetri

Postby AndyC » 05 Nov 2013 17:55

Enjoyed reading the report. Do not think anything else could of gone wrong though. It all happening in the last 7 miles is priceless though.

Great effort to keep continuing and finishing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to?

Stirling Duathlon
London Marathon
StaffordShire 70.3
Outlaw

AndyC
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 11 Nov 2013 14:08

Great stuff mate. Sounds like a tough 100 miles again. Next year?
Sir Jibbenstein

Next

Return to Race Reports