Wasdale 2013

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Re: Wasdale 2013

Postby Bopomofo » 20 Oct 2013 22:09

If I may follow on from Jack's analysis:

Casting sleep(..) to void would indeed match the style, but I would question the utility: seems a bit show off. Of course this would all be clear if you had actually provided any comments in the code. I would call out your dual use of 'thoughts': Jack identified mixed purpose; I would ask what is the requirement for the sleep time to be linked to the list order. In fact, I need a requirements spec, a design doc, a test spec and a compliance matrix.

Otherwise, a great race and a bloody funny (with uber-nerdy appeal) race report. This kind of report makes me REALLY want to do something stupidly extreme... not the long slow grind of ironman, but a shorter and really nasty race.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jack Hughes » 20 Oct 2013 22:34

Bopomofo wrote:If I may follow on from Jack's analysis:

Casting sleep(..) to void would indeed match the style, but I would question the utility: seems a bit show off.

It's about "discipline" - always being aware of what error returns there are, and never just silently dropping something. I would argue that this is primary advantage of throwing exceptions in more modern C inspired languages. Do it enough and it becomes a weakness. Do it more and it becomes a vulnerability. It's a zero tolerance approach - look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves.

However, in this case, what would happen if Chapper's bladder was to inadvertently empty? Sure, his sleep would be interrupted, but he would basically ignore it, and just think another thought, then go back to sleep again. This may or may not be a bug.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby chappers » 21 Oct 2013 07:44

I have to agree with Jack, I hold my hand up and admit to sloppy style :lol: I have to admit I did think twice about the overloaded use of thought but to use another variable for sleep and add in another call to rand_r would have over engineered the joke a little ;-)

No one is complaining about the Java API so we're all good :roll:
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby King Sad » 22 Oct 2013 07:51

Re all this code and Java bollocks - why not just switch it off and switch it back on again?

Well done :D Crazy but well done :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby Lead Balloon » 26 Oct 2013 12:18

Been looking forward to your take on this Chappers. It says it all, I've already got rose tinted glasses and signed up for next year and well up Wasdale X. Evidently I was dripping my tits off when you passed me though :lol:

chappers wrote:
Jack Hughes wrote:21,23 or 25?

28 ;-)

That just shows how much of a mountain goat you are. I was rocking a 32 with a compact and still felt like I needed crampons.

Jack, you know you want to, it'll be immense :D And if I'm about I'd love to have a bash at HotW
Cuffing it, one Cluster at a time!
Haven't ridden my bike since June 2014, bugger
Lead Balloon

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 12 Nov 2013 14:11

The only Java I understand is the black stuff that comes in cups :roll:

Well done Chappers. Sounds like a truely brutal race. Why anyone would want to swim in a cold black lake, before riding up hills and running down gravel slopes is beyond even me, so Chapeau!
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby gingertri » 29 Nov 2013 17:55

well done mate! sounds like an epic race! hows the knee recovering?
gingertri

Previous

Return to Race Reports