Roade

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Roade

Postby Jimba » 30 Sep 2013 07:33

Where: Roade school
When: 29.09.13
Organiser: Just Racing
Course details: Fairly flat bike and flat run
Distance(s): Distances 413m Swim, 20km Bike, 4.5km Run
Marshalling: Loads of cheerful and helpful people
Facilities: Burger van, trade stands, lots of space for the kiddies
Technical: chip timing
Freebies: Finishers T-shirt, water, bananas, USN samples
Cost £35 with BTF licence

So last tri of the season for me. Up to now its been pretty good. Big pb on Vit and PBs on many of the sprints that i have done. Unlike previous seasons i have continued training after the Vit although not as intense. It is also 27 days without a fag.

2nd outing at Roade, last time in 2011 I raced Tim Don here in a time of 1.09.04

Swim, when I entered I put down a swim time of 9.15 I think, which for me was hugely ambitious as it is 15/20secs faster than my pb and also the swim is 14m longer (not to be ignored when you are a s slow as me!) As a result my start time was a very lie-in-able 10.51am, starting half way through is a new experience for me, normally i start with all the novices and non-swimmers.
Lined up at the pool and it looked absolute chaos. The lanes were fairly narrow and in each i counted no less than 5 swimmers. Anyway in the pool, countdown and off, fortunately clear water for first few lengths. Then it got busy and some giant cock decided to start overtaking people whether there was a gap or not, resulting in me having to stop a few times. Did the 18lengths pretty comfortably though. Out of the water, chip time 9.31 (2011 - 10.51) I cant remember where the timing mat for that is but wherever it is i was well chuffed with that.

Short run into T1, gear on and out. 1.09. Having left T1 it is quite a long run to mount point (80-100m?) Onto the bike which for the first mile or so is through a housing estate, very narrow lanes cars parked, cars coming towards you etc so caution needed. Then out on the course for two laps. Its not hilly, but it is far from flat. A couple of points there are blind left turns so very hard to keep much speed on, with one of them being at the bottom of a big downhill. So all in all it is not a fast course. And its bloody windy! I feel pretty good and was a bit concerned that i have put too much into the first lap. Second lap seems fine but unfortunately get held up with about a mile to go with a long queue of traffic that is waiting for some cyclists ahead. Dismount line long run to T2, Bike time 36.51 (2011- 36.45) so a bit disappointed with that as I am on the TT compared to PX roadie in 2011. T2 47secs and start of the two lap run. Its only 4.5k so its quite short and pancake flat, so i am going to push for a quick time. I run hard, really hard and rather than just running until it hurts, i am running telling myself to push harder, as its the last race and in one or two others this season i have finished and questioned myself as to whether it was as hard as i could go.
Cross the line, run 18.45 (2011 - 19.35).

PB by nearly 2 minutes.
86/513 - in the 17th percentile - far and away my best result ever.
6/42 in AG.

Positives
All the above :D

Negatives
Churlish i know, but despite the wind and the traffic, the bike should be better.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Roade

Postby Jack Hughes » 30 Sep 2013 07:40

Very good indeed.

So, are you going to be younger at 51 than you were at 41?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 30 Sep 2013 07:42

Excellent race, a nice PB, to end the tri season on. Well done :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Worrying Will » 30 Sep 2013 08:01

Great race. Cracking pb to. Well done.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Latinobeat » 30 Sep 2013 08:13

That really is excellent Jimba, well done. What a great way to finish the season. :D
I'd go with the alloys and lose a few pounds!
Latinobeat
Starting to spend time on the forum....

Postby Jimba » 30 Sep 2013 08:37

Thanks guys.

Jack Hughes wrote:Very good indeed.

So, are you going to be younger at 51 than you were at 41?

I started running properly when I was 43 for a couple of years before moving on to tri. My 51 yr old self can comfortably out swim, out bike, and out run my 41 yr old self. Hoping once the lungs have cleared up a bit more my 52yr old will spank my 51 yr old too!
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Jack Hughes » 30 Sep 2013 08:57

And that I think is the best achievement.

Lighter, fitter, faster.

Worth celebrating. Yep. Let the lungs recover from some of the damage and you will be away.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 30 Sep 2013 11:04

Nice work - and good to see still fag free!
Do I recall that you lowered the front end of the TT recently - maybe more aero but less power, as well as the impact of wind & traffic?
Still, a good note to end the season on.
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jimba » 30 Sep 2013 13:45

CCS wrote:Nice work - and good to see still fag free!
Do I recall that you lowered the front end of the TT recently - maybe more aero but less power, as well as the impact of wind & traffic?
Still, a good note to end the season on.

Yes I did drop the front end a lot lower last week for Southwell and other than that ride havent really been out on it. My plan is to put it on the turbo over the winter and experiment as I am not comfortable on it and not sure I am getting the power I should despite being more aero. The reality is I don't do enough cycling on road or TT bike to make useful comparisons, hence the more sterile environment of the turbo.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby King Sad » 30 Sep 2013 18:30

Good man Jimba - a PB is always a nice to have :D Re the bike, it sounds quite a technical one so I wouldn't worry too much over a few seconds but the Tri bike did launch you into a faster run.
Well done :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Next

Return to Race Reports