"It's always windy up here" Newbiggin Sprint 2013

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

"It's always windy up here" Newbiggin Sprint 2013

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 04 Sep 2013 21:47

Where: Newbiggin-by-the-sea
When: 1st September 2013
Organiser: VO2Max Racing Events
Course details: Sea swim, 3 lap flatish bike, 2 lap seafront run.
Distance(s): Distances 750m Swim, 23km Bike, 5.3km Run
Marshalling: Plenty in the key spots.
Facilities: Seaside town…
Technical: chip timing
Freebies: Tech tee

Having missed out on a spot for the Euros next year in my previous attempts it dawned that there were not many chances left. I’m not totally sure that Sprint distance is my thing, but as Faith was going up to give it a go I entered in the hope that it got me a step closer to Austria. With the realisation that I needed some structure to achieve this goal I also enlisted the services of Coach Hussler. Unfortunately as a few people are aware Liverpool also coincided with the start of me feeling slightly unwell. What I thought was an off week has drawn on, and on. The 7 hour drive up North on the Friday didn’t do much for me, and I arrived feeling pretty crappy, but we went and recced the venue and the bike route to get an idea of where we could each do our pre-race training sets the next day. Having ventured into an interesting drinking establishment, via 2 car parks I didn’t want to park in a suitable alternative was found for food and I managed to compound my unwellness with my dinner choices.

Saturday was my pre race set, so I did 2 laps of the bike and 1 of the run, as it fitted the timings perfectly. I was regretting my choice of race wheels though. Nice fast stretches (some dodgy road surfaces though) except when you got to side roads and the cross wind tried to wipe you out. The wind wasn’t an issue on the run though; it was more of an oven in fact!

Race morning came and I actually had a lie in… 0630… obviously do things more relaxed up north. Breakfast of Latte and porridge. Only 1 pot as I didn’t want to chance my almost settled stomach with the second. Bottle prepared and car packed I headed off for transition. Parked in a field, then wandered down to transition. Noticed my bike wasn’t in the best condition (I tightened the headset as it was knocking, except it was now too tight and tracking. New bearings needed), which played on my mind. Got racked, in a prime spot on the end of a row. Then sat around for ages. Ate some Hula Hoops and a Mars Bar. Let AD do it’s thing then listened to the briefing. Water was 16 degrees supposedly. The wind was building now. As first wave I headed down and walked through the tepid water. Tepid my ****, it was bloody freezing. I guess the reason it took 7 hours to get there is because I had driven to the Artic Circle. A few in and outs, face in, a few strokes. I was used to it. The start was delayed a bit whilst they closed the last few roads and I positioned myself to the outside of the line 2 back. Should be a good spot as people converged on the first turn. The start countdown came…

And the ruck began. The water was pretty shallow and this turned the start into a bit of a fight. About 10-15m someone knocked my wrist and I saw my Garmin fly to the right. Split second decision and I waited for everyone to pass, ducked under, grabbed it, ran back and gave it to the photographer. At least I got a clean start now and I was soon swimming through people. By the first turn I was back into the thick of it, and struggling to breath in the foamy broth. First turn down, and then the second, now the swell was creeping in and I got a few bad breaths of sea water. It felt like I was powering on and the anger/disappointment over my Garmin was fuelling me. I was slowly creeping through the field. Finally the beach came. People around me were getting up, but I stayed swimming and made better speed, last minute up and out and now to run through soft sand. Oh Joy. First attempt at zip pull failed. Second worked. By the time I reached the timing mat I had my wetsuit down, although it didn’t feel pretty!

T1 was an easy run, down the wrong aisle, but I was on the end so no problem. I stopped and rolled my suit down then grabbed the racking as my balance faded while I stepped out. Glasses on, helmet on, bike and off. At the mount line and a wobbly mount.

Luckily the first bit was downhill, so easy to carry speed while getting feet in, except the parked cars, cones and other riders made it a little challenging, oh, and the numb feet. I got there and now for the drag out of town, under a bridge and I was cut up by an overtaking taking car. Why overtake on a blind corner that is narrowing? I gesticulated at the driver, and he didn’t like this, although I think the rider in front of me got most of his abuse. Through the feeder, roundabouts and onto the dual carriageway. At this point some guy overtook, pulled in and eased up, right as the draftbuster came past. Paranoid about a penalty I backed off, waited for my chance and attacked. Round and onto the run back to town. The wind was apparent on this leg as my bike was almost blown out from under me a couple of times. Weaving around potholes and into the town, a couple of tight turns for the speed I hadn’t scrubbed off and onto lap 2. The second and third laps were much of the same, although things were getting busier, and there was some clear drafting happening (but there were 10 penalties for it, so the draftbusters did something).

Into T2 and I had a good dismount, reracked, run shoes on, glasses and helmet off and out. After the little out I slowly caught a guy from NE31 tri, and he was running at the same pace now and ran off his pace. As we came past the turn point I saw the other James Wilson and using him as my marker thought there was a chance I was still in the game for a sub 120%. Buoyed on by this I dug in as I felt progressively worse. I’ve had GI trouble before, this wasn’t the same. 1K in and up the hill. Onto the field, down a steep gravely bit, round, up and back towards the finish. 2K. Nice downhill and now I felt shocking. Bit of sick comes up. I swallow it back down. 100m later it comes back, mouthful of it this time. Avoid spitting it out and swallow again. Turn point, and wonder why the water has to be before the looped section. I’ve let NE31 drop me after all of this, he is now 15m ahead. No way I’m letting him away, I surge and catch him them settle back. 3K, come on Jibby only 9 minutes left, di in. Up the hill, hilly loop and back. 4K. Hit the downhill and I let my legs go free, I break ahead of NE31. Have I gone too soon. I keep turning the pain screw one notch. I picture the start of the sea wall as the start of my finish effort. I’m worrying about an attack from behind as I reach it and dig in to find little left in the tank. I cross the line and I’ve done it. No idea of time, but I held the run OK.

The day I don’t time myself I get dodgy splits. So I have a combined T2 and run

Swim: 12:29 (including 100m or so run to T1 across soft sand)
T1: 1:12
Bike: 42:10
T2+Run: 23:10
Overall 1:19:01

The Good
1. T2, I’m pleased with the whole dismount, changeover and exit
2. Overall performance, it was a slow day and I posted a 118%, given I’ve been unwell and I wasn’t peaking I’ll take that
The Bad
1. My bike handling. Not good on the technical parts of the course. I need to fix this for next season.
2. Swim start
3. Run fitness. I’m feeling pretty slow right now compared to early season
The Hmm
1. Swim. Bad start, but the anger might have helped me post a reasonable time in hindsigh (even if the results don’t show it)
2. Wetsuit removal. Not convinced it was a slick as it could have been, maybe the cold was to blame.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: "It's always windy up here" Newbiggin Sprint 2013

Postby CCS » 05 Sep 2013 11:11

Sounds grim - well done!
Deeper section wheels can be horrible in the wind (though for some reason, I have found mine OK this year on the TT bike - but have had some very hairy moments on the road bike with them - you obviously need a TT bike to add to your stable!).

Would definitely suggest to spit, not swallow though :lol: :lol: (over to Kevvy....)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby kfjatek » 05 Sep 2013 11:34

Was expecting a report on a tough race from your early FB posts and indeed it reads like it was. You've hit the 120% and that's what counts, regardless how sh*te the race might have felt - I know that's what you were aiming at, so well done on mission accomplished.

Lovely cluster with the watch right at the beginning, btw. ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Jungle_re » 05 Sep 2013 12:18

Do you have any other race aims this summer? Nothing worse than a lingering underlying illness that your not sure has gone away and come back and kicks you when you least need it, might be worth taking a little breather now to fully get back on your feet
26th May 2013 IM 70.3 Austria
Jungle_re
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Sep 2013 12:29

Jungle_re wrote:Do you have any other race aims this summer? Nothing worse than a lingering underlying illness that your not sure has gone away and come back and kicks you when you least need it, might be worth taking a little breather now to fully get back on your feet

Absolutely nothing. Oh. Except the World Championships on Wednesday. :lol:
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Big_Show » 05 Sep 2013 12:53

Looks like a tough day at the office. Makes me slightly glad I was to injured to race it in the end.

And you're right, it is always windy up here... :D
Big_Show

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 05 Sep 2013 13:03

Jungle_re wrote:Do you have any other race aims this summer?

Jack Hughes wrote:Absolutely nothing. Oh. Except the World Championships on Wednesday. :lol:

Aquathlon World Champs is just a B race stupid as it may sound. Been planning the Anglian Water Standard as my biggest race of the season since the qualifiers were announced last year as I really want to qualify for the European standadrd distance tri next year. Just over 2 weeks left.

Big_Show wrote:And you're right, it is always windy up here... :D

That was a quote from one of the organisers as we complained about how breezy it had got. :roll:
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Big_Show » 05 Sep 2013 13:07

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:Unfortunately as a few people are aware Liverpool also coincided with the start of me feeling slightly unwell. What I thought was an off week has drawn on, and on.

Elsewhere, Sir Jibbenstein wrote:For you, what ever you choose must fit with your recovery, and you must listen to your body!

:?:
Big_Show

Postby Jungle_re » 05 Sep 2013 14:26

best of luck mate will look for tbe race reports and i hope you kick the lingering bug soon
26th May 2013 IM 70.3 Austria
Jungle_re
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby jonathon.e » 05 Sep 2013 14:40

Nice race, always good to race in the elements, it feels so much better after, and its the same for the others after all. A full season with many goals, hope it sets you up for your race in a fortnight, enjoy the Worlds, even if it is a 'B' race :lol: :lol: :lol:
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Next

Return to Race Reports