Lancaster Triathlon 2013

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Lancaster Triathlon 2013

Postby chappers » 01 Aug 2013 09:42

Where: Halton, Lancaster
When: Sunday 28th July
Organiser: mytriclub
Course details: 1.5km river swim; 40km (2 lap) bike; 10km (2 lap) run
Technical: chip timing
Marshalling: good and friendly
Facilities: toilet block and showers (event was at an army training camp)
Freebies: flip flops, socks and water bottle

Build up

I'd been watching the weather all week and from about the Monday before, xcweather.co.uk told me the weather would be biblical on the Saturday eve. This made me a little nervous because of the river swim. Still, we couldn't be that unlucky could we? Nah...

Running is on the up (now I've said that I'll break within a week) and as the race run would be 10km, I'd adjusted training accordingly to notch up volume from the week before. I did my first three day block of running since I can remember. Tues was an 8 miler (with a 40min 10km); Weds was 40mins easy; and Thursday a hill repeat day.

On Saturday night, it turned out that the animals did indeed need to go in two-by-two for a boat ride.. though I don't think the Ark survived judging by the all logs floating down the river. Noah must have fitted some modcons as there were reports of the odd fridge in there too.

Not too worry, this meant the organisers sensibly cancelled the swim (jackpot :lol:) and treated us to a 5km run in its place. Not the fairest of swaps I'll grant you! That was my carefully planned run volume out of the window :lol:

Had a brief catch up with the Miskinator before the race, always good to see him, such a top bloke. Mini-me loves him and had been practicing his "go go Miskinator" the day before :-) Craig being the dolphin he is didn't seem at all happy with the swim cancellation as I was. Gutted for him :-(

Run 1

The hooter went and I consciously didn't go too hard, but I should have done as 500m later we reached a stile with inevitable traffic jam of people. I let my HR drop and didn't freak out like a few who jumped the fence, much to the disapproval of the marshal.. or maybe his "yeah, well done lads" wasn't as sarcastic as I thought? ;-) Like last week's HIM, the run felt hard work and still not back to effortless fast running, though I was treated to one sub 6min mile by my garmin :-)  Also the theme of equipment rebellion continued from last week as my BCTTT tri top decided to throw both gels. With only one backup gel in my trishorts and none in transition (doh), I'd pay for that on the 10km. With about 0.7miles to go, we were directed up about 60steps to a bridge over the river.. not what you need when your HR is skyhigh. I ran the first few as they were shallow but the bulk were walked fell stylee.

With the stile and steps, it wasn't a fast course but I'm not going to complain at 19m30s for a paced 5km off HM training.

T1

Ahh... the simplicity of duathlon... just a pair of cycle shoes in transition :-) didn't stop me having a tea party when I arrived though. The IM/HIM habit is hard to shake.

Bike

My legs had felt great the morning of the race but the 5km must have taken out any zing as incomparison, last week's HIM bike felt effortless. I tried to compensate by not pushing too hard fearing my legs would expload on the second run. The course was more undulating than I'd given it credit for which combined with a killer head wind in places made me very glad I'd "gone aero" including man horn hat. Nothing else of note other than I could have done with more liquid but then I guess that was the effect of the 5km run.

T2

Came into T2 with Mrs C shouting that I was in 4th, which I didn't believe so time for another cup of tea and a slice of cake... oh and best take my silly helmet off before I start running :lol: Turns out I should have believed her as 5th place over took me in transition... doh!

Run 2

Stopped for a cup of water at the aid station outside of T2 (did I mention I usually race HIMs :lol:) but got my ar$e in gear when Mrs C shouted to get a move on :lol: Unfortunately Mr 4th place was a handy runner but remained a fairly constant distance ahead of me. I probably could have pushed to catch him but, and this is going to sound really bad, psychologically chasing for 4th didn't seem worth it. Besides, I knew there would be the inevitable kick from him when I reached him. I decided instead to try and maintain pace as best I could. Passed one of my ejected gels on lap one and had a comedy should-I-shouldn't-I pick it up but decided against it. Up the steps to the bridge for the second time with a very ungraceful, head down and hands on knees walk up them. I was greeted by a camera lens in my face when I finally looked up at the top... the b4st4rd :lol: :lol:

A final push to the entrance of the training camp and I could see Miskin in the distance so I picked up the pace for a goosing attack run but he must've heard my donkey-like breathing and clown shoe slapping foot fall and turned around :-( :lol:

Over the line in fifth :-) Both run splits weren't amazing but then there were only two sub 40min 10kms and four 5kms under 19mins (all 18-19mins) so either no stellar runners (hibernating for the worlds?) or a relatively slow course. Somehow managed to get the 3rd fastest bike split 8-)

Another classic race from MyTriClub.. no-nonsense, good value and a small (100) field.

No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Re: Lancaster Triathlon 2013

Postby Jack Hughes » 01 Aug 2013 09:49

Hmmm... well done. But all those tea breaks costing you a place... I need to see how far off 3rd pos you were... :D

So, are you fit/recovered enough (allowed enough) to have a crack at Wensleydale?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby chappers » 01 Aug 2013 13:08

it would have been close but don't think I would have done better than 4th.

I'm running more but swimming less so Wensleydale is probably going to be par for the course ;-)
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby jonathon.e » 01 Aug 2013 19:08

Well done, but one has to consider the fashion Faux pas, of providing flip flops with socks, in the freebie bag :roll:

Real shame about the swim cancellation, this years race season is totally FUBAR'd. :(
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby King Sad » 01 Aug 2013 21:32

Well done, sounds a jolly outing :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Return to Race Reports