2 days chasing the 100 greatest climbs

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

2 days chasing the 100 greatest climbs

Postby Worrying Will » 29 Jul 2013 10:38

Apologies for even worse spelling than normal but I am doing this from my phone.

Why am I on this mission
Last year Ian M said I wasnt a bad climber so while shopping I saw the 100 and another 100 greatest climb books and said to heather these would be good.  So for Christmas I got them. The only rule heather laid down was they must be done on the bike. It counts if I get off so long as I get back on at the same point or lower.

Following the Hell of worth and my poor show and paddy I need to head back. With a crafty planned stop the chance arose for mr hughes to take me round the climbs in the book plus a few more. I had been given 2 hours on Friday and till 11 on Saturday to get what I could done. Mrs b must haave been in aa good mood that day.

Friday evening the challenge of Haworth
I was given a predetermined postcode and time and the northern which magically appeared.  Quich chat about the route and off we went. I knew this was going to be hard.  I had seen that a challenge had been set on stava and saw that climb and god it was steep.

So the 1st thing to face me in the 1st couple of km a decent.  Great my worst nightmare.  Little did I know the number of these I had to deal with.  One the way back up we went hitting the 1st climb 20m I stopped.  Realised I put my pump in upside down and it was clattering the chainring. Sorted back to the bottom.  This climb turned out to be a gentle cat 4 and up and over towards Keighley.  Another horrie decent with a very steep righthand bend. Not pleasent at all. We pottered along to what looked like a deadend industrial estate and there it was thwites brow.

Thwaites brow climb 140 9/10
Off we headed using jacks advice lowest gear and turn it over slowly.  On to a lovely rough cobbled road. This was horrible  bouncing every trying to pick the right lines.  Things were going well not blowing up legs felling good through the ss and always well. Then bang legs feeling tiered, know where near peak hr but with my lack of confidence on standing up binned it. Pushed the bike for about 50m where there was a right hand exit.  Got back on and pushed on. When I hit the tarmac it was lovely. Able to continue to push on. Climb 1 me 0. Lack of confidence causing the fail.

Off we went towards the next one, where heading downwards I realised I was on the sMe decent again , this time we were doing a sharp left on it. Oh joy. We head long the road through some very pleasents parts of Keighley we turned right witb jack saying get in your lowest gear its left and left.

Hainworth Lane climb 141 7/10
This one starts  nice and steep but smooth tarmac. All is great keeping up well with mr hughes. Then in the avenue of trees I see those bloody cobbles again. This time they are slightly better but picking lines in the shade was hard. Turned the hairpin left and still going strong but as it kicks again I bail no idea why. Pushed thr bike 20m only to find that after the bend the cobbles ended. If only I tried.  I could see that teacher was a little anoyed with my silly failure so close to the top. Climbs 2 me 0

We head off down towards Haworth all was well until we turned right instead of left.  I knew what was coming kamikaze climb. As we reached the base I was told if you can't cross over bail out to the left as you cant stop at the top. Of we went based on the rest of the ride I wasnt holding much hope. The saving grace was that it was tarmac.  It was going well and then isaw the final kick up and a quick bail out to the left. That was the steepest I have ever cycled.  From here we carried on climbing  across to the start of the hell of worth and home. I said good bye and a blink on an eye the witch had gone.

Well end of day 1. 2 fails but one 6th on a segment.  A great day lef feeling that I  can climb its those bloody cobbles. I felt a lot better tha  after the how. And no tantrums.

Day 2.
This was going to be a real challange. It was an early start. Meet jack in the hotel car park. Quick discussion on the days plan and off.  Very quickly I realised that the holder of the gibbert street climb had played a crafty move, we hit it with only 1.5km into the ride. Off I went at a steady pace ensuring I hit the lights on a green kept turn the legs.  The 1st 1/2 of the climb is about turning the legs and keeping a good rhythm. All was good. Then I it the hammer for the next 1/4 as it is slightly down hill then hold on up the steepest bit. When I got to the top I wasn't sure I had done but strava says I had. A bit more tt work and I reckon sub 10 is easy. For the 1st I had to wait for jack.  I suspect that this might be the last time today.

Then next 10 mins of hell for me. Another bloody steap decent.  This one was really steep. Hands on the drops and brakes applied for. I was hating every second.  To add insult to it I had to stop as I got so tense my shoulders and arms started hurt lots. Then I struggled to get back on. So pleased when we reached the bottom. We peddled of to climb number 1 if the day.

Cragg vale climb 138 6/10
This England's longest continuous climb. It is 8.3km with an ave grade of 3.5% ish. Its a cracker of a climb, it all about keeping the legs turning at a good cadence and keep it going. With the road markings every km and the monater at 2km in it a lovely ride as you ride out of the Valley in to the trees and out on to the moors. It has the odd little kick but the views are amazing and as you don't need to bury your self to get to the top. The down side is that I needed to go down. Climb 0 will 1

The decent had amazing view if I could look. Time for 5 mins of terror then it was a lovely sweeping road buy just to steep for me. As it flattened out I was able to let go of the brakes and free wheel. I believe jack said he was waiting 5 mins for me. I dont believe this to be true it was more like 10 I reckon.

He head off on the only flat bit of the ride. This was along a nice wide road with great views of canals, railway and industrial heritage. It was going well till I heard the crack of bike on plastic as the guy behing us cycled in to a bright red parked car. Check he was alright and carried on. Then about 3miles later I had my own little moment, I relaxed a little to much hit a pothole lost control for a brief second but managed to safe it just.

Carried in for a bit then we pulled over to face Mytholm Steeps

Mytholm Steeps. Climb 139 10/10
I didn't read the note so headed off up. Things were going well keeping the legs going switching between seated and standing loving every minute. Cars coming past made it more fun. The after what I thought was the swallowing of the climb we hit a false flat and what was laid out in front of us was a wall if tarmac. At this point mentally I failed so after only 50m I feel in to the verge like a ballerina. Pushed the bike round the bend got on and finished what felt like an age again jack was waiting. Climb 1 will 1

Off we head yet another small decent and climb. Then we reached my decent of hell where I got off and pushed the bike down hill. This time I managed it but by now my shoulders and arms were killing due to the constant braking. Again jack was waiting.

Through Hebden Bridge to the penultimate climb this one isnt in the book. I was determined not to fail so off we went. This was bloody steep and kept going. After about 500m I need a brake do pulled to the left, started to stop unclipped but realised I would fail so foot did touch the ground but I kept moving. At one stage I fpund myself on the wrong side of the road. I know I was in the wrong but it was the shallower gradient. Reached the top so I thought but I was wrong. Assult part 2 then finushes that and assult 3 happended followed by the comment I forgot about this bit. This wasa climb that just kept giving. Finally I reached the top to be rewarded with an a amazing view. I don't think there is a segment for this. If there isnt I will create one as it was a demon of a climb, the best I have ever done. I loved it all.

Pottered along the rop through part of the HOW route then another bloody decent. 1/2 down u saw a HOW climb where I dived for a lamppost for supporr. Reached the base then it was time for the final climb.

Halifax lane climb 44 8/10
I was determined not to be beaten so I headed of slow and steady. This was going to be hard. Much to my surprise it wasnt.it was a lovely climb just ticking over the legs and enjoy the view. It was long with some nice bends but aftrt the last climb I was starting to understand what is needed and the enjoyment was coming. Looked behind me towards the top and no jack could this be happening am I going to have to wait at the top. Carried on over the junction to the top of the hill which turned out a little further than I need to. I made it and I was waiting, how did that happen. Climbs 1 will 2

We then pottered our way back to hotel.

Thoughts over the 2 days
It was an amazing 2 day with 2 brilliant planed routes by Jack with gteat tour notes as you go. Things I now know;
1. I can climb. It's all in my head that I can't
2. I need better bike control to defeat the cobbles
3. I hate decent
Overall an amazing 2 days and 2/5 done. I call that a successful day out
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Re: 2 days chasing the 100 greatest climbs

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Jul 2013 10:57

Well done!

I think we need to just practice descending on some nursery slopes for a bit. Hill repeats coming up...

... any maybe some MTB work.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 29 Jul 2013 13:23

Great going Will, a couple down now.

Maybe to practice descending, you need a nice set of carbon wheels, cork pads and a very wet day, that will boost your confidence :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby IanM » 29 Jul 2013 15:00

Excellent work Will! Let's sort out a ride soon and get you practicing descents.

jonathon.e wrote:Maybe to practice descending, you need a nice set of carbon wheels, cork pads and a very wet day, that will boost your confidence :D

Or more likely boost your laundry costs!
IanM

Postby gingertri » 31 Jul 2013 20:44

good going mate!
gingertri

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby KidStardust » 06 Aug 2013 10:46

That's a brilliant read Will. I share your decending concerns, though it's not the decents that scare me, it's falling off.
KidStardust

Postby kfjatek » 06 Aug 2013 12:50

Nice one Will, well done.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek