Great Eastern Run hm

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Great Eastern Run hm

Postby Jimba » 14 Oct 2015 20:48

Where: Peterborough
When: 11.10.2015
Organiser: great eastern run
Course details: flat route through the streets of Peterborough
Marshalling: loads
Facilities: everything
Technical: chip
Freebies: medal and technical t

Big event, not great north scale but 4000 for hm, wheelchair race and fun run. Pb for hm is 1.32.

10.30 start so nice and civilised, sun out for the start, perfect conditions. The start had various pens for different estimated times. I went into the sub 1.30.....ever hopeful. This was the fastest group so I waited halfway back. We all filtered out for the start in order of the different pens so it actually worked well. After the gun there were very few of those strange people who for some reason want to start at the front even though there will be a sea of people trying to get round them. Before I forget another annoying thing was a number of people wearing headphones despite numerous signs messages etc saying they were not allowed. There was a knob behind me telling his girlfriend that he was wearing his, having seen the signs, but hadn't been told directly that he couldn't!

Anyway, gun goes, shuffling start and through the town centre, good support all round. First mile 7mins so outside target 6.52 but to be expected with such a big start. Very busy for first few miles so difficult to get into own pace, checked garmin frequently to try to keep steady pace. Next two miles 6.43 and 6.50. Not feeling comfortable and starting to wonder if I am off too quickly. Next two are 6.45 and 6.54, small undulations (by Yorkshire standards it is pan flat) so some variations in pace is to be expected. Next mile 6.53 and I have a couple of gels and drink at the water station. Approaching halfway and I am not entirely comfortable, should be feeling better. At the halfway point the 1.30 pacers catch me up and I am bang on 1.30 pace. This is a relief as I can sort of zone out for the next 5/6 miles and let them worry about the pace. Next mile 6.47 and he next also 6.47. So 8miles down and on target for sub 1.30, shame the next two miles are 7.22 and 7.27. We hit a slight incline and I just couldn't stay with the pacers. The elastic band was stretching and it finally snapped. Quite a few people going past me, so had a good talk to myself to get my shit together and finish it. Next mile 6.59 but couldn't maintain it 7.22 and 7.11 follow. Cross the line 1.32.36.
416/3949
AG 50-59 32/322

Overall pleased, but really wanted to dip under 1.30.

Interesting stats on the results site. First half I passed 88 and was passed by 83, second half I passed 23 and 40 passed me, also shows relative positions of people around you at the finish with a birds eye view, position relative to winner etc.

Checked runbritain ranking and am in the 700s for my AG, so not that quick! Probably need to lose 4/5 kilos and do longer training runs.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Re: Great Eastern Run hm

Postby jonathon.e » 14 Oct 2015 20:53

Very nice results overall and in age group. Well done. :D
How did the training for this HM compare with your previous PB ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jimba » 14 Oct 2015 21:47

Cheers Jon. Strange, I can't put my finger on what happened, I know it wasn't bad at all but I had thought I was in with a shout. Training was pretty similar, pb was only in August and I have done some consistent solid training since. Taper was good. Weight although higher than ideal is no higher than August and this course was considerably flatter. I guess it just goes down as an off day.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Worrying Will » 15 Oct 2015 06:59

That's. A cracking time in my eyes. Well done

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby Jack Hughes » 15 Oct 2015 11:58

Consistent, even if it was an off day!

Well done!