Oh No! It is another boring Brigg Triathlon report

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Oh No! It is another boring Brigg Triathlon report

Postby jonathon.e » 27 Sep 2015 14:17

Lincsquad Brigg Triathlon
Or
The last Hurrah!
Or
The Trick is, William Potter, not to mind it hurts Triathlon
Or
I have paid for it, I can't get a refund, and if I don't turn up and race my work colleagues will never let me live it down Triathlon.

Where: Brigg, home of the Brigg Horse Fair, N.Lincolnshire
Cost: I entered so long ago, I can't remember, but it was reasonable.
Marshals: Yes, lots
Goodies: T-shirt, again!!!
Course: Pool swim (400m), rural roads for bike( 20km ), and run (5km)

Preamble:
Racing and training this season has been plagued with injury, the distinct lack of activity on Strava, shows it. One step forward, three back and all that. The last run and bike I did was at Allerthorpe on the 5th September. Getting a nice Quad tear a day later, and it did sound like material was being ripped and the pain was just like getting hit with the strap at school ( for the ones that remember corporal punishment ), but the sting didn't go. Numerous others injuries have just accumulated over the past few months, even sitting on the bike for over an hour causes discomfort in the lumbar regions.
But, end of the season looms, and Brigg Triathlon is the usual needle match between local Tri clubs, so the usual "can you turn up, we need strength in numbers, it doesn't matter how fast you are " etc, and it is also a race that my work colleagues either race or turn up and shout at you in support. So I decided, against it might add, sense and sensibility to race, only a sprint, done it before, what, as they say, could possibly go wrong?

As Mrs J. was on nights, I opted to register on Saturday rather than race day, it meant a bit of driving, but I wouldn't be clattering around the house making a noise, also, it meant I didn't have to get up at Really Stupid O'clock to register, just get up at Silly o'clock instead.
Picked up the race pack, nothing to write home about, t-shirt, flapjack bar, and some one shot chain lube.

Race:
Racked the bike, and listened to race briefing, and then had two hours to kill, prior to start time, the joy of starting with a moderately quick swim time.

Swim:
Picked up the race chip at the swim start, and as luck or not would have it, I was in the lane furthest from the exit :-(, well that's going to add at least 2 seconds to my race time. I might hasten to add, that my race mood was not that great, as the day before I received some delightful Emails from STRAVA informing me with glee, that I had lost 3 CRs and a KOM, bugger!! But that is the past.
16 lengths, 400m, 2 other swimmers in the lane so not crowded, opted for a relaxed pace, don't want to go into oxygen debt in the first twenty seconds. At the pool side, we were all briefed as to race etiquette, tap the feet, the swimmer ahead will stop at the end and let you thru'. Well someone in my lane was not paying attention to that, but, easily overtaken on the next lap.
Out of the water, then a long drag to T1, poolside, then onto the ramp that weaves along to the tennis courts where transition was,
I reckon a little over 7mins for the swim, and a minute to T1 giving me a swim time of 8:04

T1:
Bikes all racked in numbered positions and I actually got the end placement, so I didn't have to think too much about finding it. Trainers on, Race belt and helmet, across to the other side before doubling back to the exit.
0:45

Bike:
A fast flat, out and back course, three roundabouts.
Prior to starting I was watching the early racers, come out of transition, one opted for trainers and Look pedals( whether this was by design or error, I know not). Another, had two 750ml bottles, a top tube bag, a saddle pack and not entirely sure as to what was in their back pockets as well. I lost count of the number who didn't know about the mount/dismount line.
But, I am not being critical, If they are happy with that amount of paraphernalia then so am I.
A very foggy morning, visibility down to less than 100 meters in places, not helped by my visor constantly steaming up putting the visibility down to 1.5 cms, until I wiped it off.
Gradually picked off other riders, my aim at the moment is to try and not get overtaken for at least the bike, If I can get out of the swim first in my wave, not get overtaken on the bike and hopefully likewise on the run, I haven't seeded myself correctly or it's been a good race.
Towards the end, a rider I had overtaken earlier, passed me just before the end, but as he had set off in the preceding wave, and I had already overtaken him, I will let that one go.

Back to Transition, lack of biking showing with a relatively slow 33:49.

T2:
If Pyro platforms have a disadvantage it is just at the point of removing them, as they occasionally catch,on either the trainers or the road. You think you have you feet out, and they are still stuck in them, luckily no dismount hilarity for the spectators today.
0:32

Run:

An out and back route, so you get to see you wave and relative position, along with the faster racers throughout the route, this is either demoralising or invigorating dependant on you race position.
A number of work colleagues on the road side giving a welcome cheer as I lumbered along, initially footpaths through the town and then rural roads to the turn around. Making more noise than the proverbial steam train as I struggled, hoping no one would hurtle by me, waiting for the noise of someone running quicker to sound the inevitable. Strangely, it didn't happen, I didn't pass anyone on the run either, just kept a pace that I was happy with, I didn't use my Garmin for the race, as I wasn't expecting a wonderful result, but in hindsight, I would have liked to, just for the run, with injury I have altered my stride and cadence from a long slow stride, to a shorter quicker one, as I was feeling reasonable, in the ' I want to throw up right now, no I really do, the vomit is sitting in my throat waiting for the most unlikely moment' I altered back from short to long, the RPE was the same, but just not sure if I went quicker or slower, as there were no distance markers.
But, the good news was that I could alter my stride.
Still no one went by me, I was going just at the pace where the projectile vomit is ready to launch, quicker and it pulls the trigger, slower then I lose time, not exactly the running knife edge is it.
Off the pavement, along a river embankment and across the line.
Season over, wait for the pain to subside, and decide on what course of action to take. I always enjoy racing, no matter what the out come, I feel the detrimental out come is out weighed by the mental wellbeing,
23:52

Total time 1:07:02

Not brilliant, but better than expected, pleased that my lack of training hadn't caused too much damage to the time.

What next.?
I need to sort my back out, if I want faster ride times, the lower back needs to strengthen.
Strengthen my knees, which, when my quad mends, I can strengthen the knees supporting muscles.
Find a way to reduce my Achilles pain, this in turn affects my calf muscles
When I can sort out a decent injury management routine, then maybe, I can do some reasonable training again.
Getting old ain't fun.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Oh No! It is another boring Brigg Triathlon report

Postby Kevy427 » 27 Sep 2015 14:44

jonathon.e wrote:like getting hit with the strap at school ( for the ones that remember corporal punishment )

Halcyon days :oops:

jonathon.e wrote:If Pyro platforms have a disadvantage it is just at the point of removing them

Understandable

Well done completing given the fact you're actually quite broken although I think it was more driven by the prospect of ridicule from your colleagues...? ;)
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Worrying Will » 27 Sep 2015 18:04

Cracking race based on all the issues

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby jonathon.e » 27 Sep 2015 19:20

You understand my point perfectly Kev, when you go and strut, you just can't take them off.

Provisional results
35/196

6/25 in AG (40-49)
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby King Sad » 28 Sep 2015 06:53

Ah yes indeed, youth is wasted on the young :D

All these aches and pains is yet to hit these 'young uns'

I really get the racing whilst you're injured but thought it was worth a shot

Well done John :D Speedy recovery :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby IanM » 28 Sep 2015 13:23

jonathon.e wrote:Another, had two 750ml bottles, a top tube bag, a saddle pack and not entirely sure as to what was in their back pockets as well.

Will never said he was coming down to race!

Well done, considering your injuries and lack of training. Hope things pick up for next season!
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Sep 2015 08:54

Well done Kid.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby SickBoy » 29 Sep 2015 13:01

Not a bad time at all, especially with injuries and training considered! Fear of looking silly in front of your colleagues always a good motivator.

+1 for the strength work. I'm fairly convinced that my doing zero strength work is holding me back. Like I said before I think more time just climbing hills on the bike this year made a difference for me. Planning something more targeted over winter.

Well done!

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby Tritans » 29 Sep 2015 13:05

Yes well done.

I had wondered about your lack of strava ing but guessed it may have been due to an injury.

Good luck with the injury management.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby CCS » 29 Sep 2015 15:01

Pretty nippy running for someone who is broken. Good effort!

jonathon.e wrote:Another, had two 750ml bottles, a top tube bag, a saddle pack and not entirely sure as to what was in their back pockets as well. I lost count of the number who didn't know about the mount/dismount line.
But, I am not being critical, If they are happy with that amount of paraphernalia then so am I.

Obviously following my 'never knowingly undernourished' strategy?!
I blame the boy scouts and their notions of 'always being prepared' - it has taken me years to try and be a bit more minimal about what I take on the bike!

jonathon.e wrote:Getting old ain't fun.

It can be.... I am thoroughly enjoying letting loose my inner mad old bag lady!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Next

Return to Race Reports