Sundowner Middle Distance Triathlon 2015

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Sundowner Middle Distance Triathlon 2015

Postby King Sad » 07 Sep 2015 20:43

Where: Allerthorpe 
When: 5 September 2015
Organiser: Freebird Events
Course details: Wet water, flattish bike, some grass, mainly flat tarmac run
Distance(s): 1900m 4 laps swim, 90km 2 lap bike, 21km 3 lap run
Marshalling: Hired staff at junctions
Facilities: Burger van, toilets, bracing fresh air
Technical: Chip timing, free photography
Freebies: Technical T shirt

I came across this when doing a search for a chum last year and this year thought I’d give it a go. When I entered reckoned I could get sub 6 hours. Fast forward 4 months and the Lincolnshire Edge Standard
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10819

Had intensive physio to get my hurty leg sorted ... I know what you are thinking ... Boo boo 1.

Boo boo 2, the start list came out,quite late and eeeek!!!! :o For some reason I was put in the last wave with those doing sub 5hrs! Couldn't change it, v unhappy. The girl next to me said she played ‘the girl card’ to a bloke and he moved her to an earlier wave.

Apparently those in the know put themselves down for a 7 hour finish.

Swim 1900m
4 lap swim and sure enough the last lap I was on my own; that was just so #### depressing, mojo depleted, 2nd last out of water. 44.55

T1
No problem finding my bike. Did some stretches for my calf, last out of T1. 5.30

Bike 90Km
Onto the bike, 2x 45km laps, quite windy, gusting to 24mph. First lap I was chasing down those from earlier waves, and despite the wind looked as if a sub 3hr on the bike could still be possible but after 35k or so had to drop down a gear to easier cadence losing 1.5kph as my leg started playing up. Lap 1 1h 31. It was aero all the way, even the corners, big ring used perhaps 3 gears.

Chased down last rider about 10k into lap 2 and then on my own for next 35k... Nobody to chase, gosh major test of determination I can tell you ... pulling an easy cadence and getting colder with the wind. 3h 12 :(  About 15 mins over target.

T2
More stretches, 5.05

Run 21k
3x 7km laps
Within 100m realised it was not going to be but tried one 7k lap to see any improvement - no. End of lap 1 withdrew. 1hr 05 for 7k! My first ever DNF.

I suppose I knew from about 35k into the bike that this was coming. Should never have raced it was silly but then that is what triathletes do.

Good news is that because I eased off my calf has not gotten any worse. So recuperation is the order of the day. Feeling very down.
Winner in my Age Group, 5h 28
Given normal performance would have come in about +10% of the winner in my Age Group, which I would have been happy with - bum. Even a mediocre 6.20 would have put me within 15%.

Not one in my AG was in my wave, the others had put themselves down as 6-7 hour times. Lesson learned.

Thinking ahead, recuperation is my priority. 2016 is already being planned.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Sundowner Middle Distance Triathlon 2015

Postby jonathon.e » 07 Sep 2015 22:04

Sorry to see the DNF, I did have a look around the event area, but didn't see you, and had to rush off.
Saw the DNF, on the results, gutted for you John.

A fast course, but not a fast day, the water was a touch on the cool side, and the water level lower than normal, and as you say, breezy on the bike.

Always difficult having to chase all the time, and the multi lap run would demoralise further. Always a good call to pull the pin to prevent further injury.

Unfortunately or not, last year the race conflicted nicely with a big race in London, England. So a number of quick racers were not at the Sundowner, unfortunately there were a number of very quick ones this year, obviously it's popularity and fast course notoriety is gaining.

Hope the injury sorts itself out soon :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby IanM » 08 Sep 2015 07:19

Hope you're fixed soon and can build for a solid 2016, KS!
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Sep 2015 08:13

Unfortunate KS. But no point beating yourself up about it. Always next year :) It's a nice event with a leisurely start time.

jonathon.e wrote:last year the race conflicted nicely with a big race in London, England. So a number of quick racers were not at the Sundowner

That was 2013.

Last year the only things in the same weekend were on the Sunday: Helvellyn, Bala. And the only middle middle was the Wild Boar down in the West Country.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jimba » 08 Sep 2015 12:46

Sorry to hear about the DNF and leg john. I take it that means I won't see you at Southwell!! Hope the leg sorts itself over the winter ready for next year.
Clean since 25.9.14
Jimba

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 08 Sep 2015 17:07

Shame about the DNF, but sounds like the smart decision to make. Hopefully you heal quickly and can have a nice strong season next year!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby md6 » 09 Sep 2015 10:45

sorry you had to dnf, but sometimes it is the smart thing to do rather than push through and make an injury worse

here's to recovery and next year
perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
Super-domestique
Shut Up Legs
md6

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby CCS » 09 Sep 2015 14:54

Bad luck on the DNS (but sometimes it does pay to be sensible :shock: )
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby King Sad » 09 Sep 2015 16:19

I suppose the actual sensible thing would not to have started in the first place :oops: But I thought I would give it a go and made a big promise to myself that at the first sign of trouble I would stop .... I didn't but I did ease back.

Ah yes I did think about Southwell on the drive back Jimba, thought I would give a good go but no Mr Sensible did overrule that. May still see you there as a spectator/volunteer, see how the diary pans out, I'm actually starting to have a social life :D

The absence of other riders was a big problem in terms of morale and speed, had to keep checking my GPS and it is amazing how much you can slow down. On the second lap fairly early in I overtook one lad in his 20's 30's, thought I'd dropped him completely but 10 minutes later he overtook me, overtook him again a few minutes later and then he just got his act together went flying past and I never saw him again. Couldn't figure out why if he move like that he was dawdling when I first overtook him. I like to think I gave him the kick up the backside he needed.

So anyway to draw together some observations and top tips for anyone contemplating this.
- Road surfaces are generally very good, one or two potholes and short sections of knobbly bits but otherwise fast
- Roads on the whole quiet
- The junctions etc are manned by hired staff rather than keen volunteers so you don't get that 'whoop whoop' type of encouragement
- Be prepared to stay aero for 90K, very few occasions where you need to sit up
- Give a finish time of 6-7 hours otherwise it could become quite lonely on the bike
- Take a head torch; white light front, red light rear otherwise you will not be allowed to run after 7pm, just one line in the instructions, easy to miss. Another reason to go for an earlier start time.
- Consider camping Saturday night so you can enjoy the BBQ and party

So yes, one to think about :D

King Sad

Postby King Sad » 09 Sep 2015 17:24

Oh yes, free photos as well:

King Sad

Next

Return to Race Reports