Lincolnshire Edge Standard Triathlon

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Lincolnshire Edge Standard Triathlon

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Jul 2015 16:24

What race: Lincolnshire Edge Triathlon
Where: Cadney Reservoir near Brigg Lincolnshire, North of Watford, South of Hadrians Wall
How much: £60:36 ( booking fee )
Marshals: Yes plenty at most junctions
Route: Reservoir swim, rural roads, some grass track running on the run route
Goody bag: T shirts, which hadn't arrived, lucozade, fruit bars and a key ring
Distance: 1500m/ 40km ish/ 10km ish.
Organiser: FFwd sports and Lincsquad Tri club

Pre amble:
Very little training, holding some manageable injuries but getting worse and more annoying.
I hate standard distance races, for some reason, well as triathlons go they are my least favourite, it is just the annoying run at the end, reduce it to 5km and it would be a lot better, but I could have entered the sprint distance, but no, hindsight is great, and I could have posted a decent time in it but no, I had to go and enter the stupid standard distance, only myself to blame so no point in bleating on about the stupid distances.

The swim.
Open water swimming in Lincolnshire is not that common, due to the bed rock being chalk, most lakes are the local reservoirs and Anglia Water have been very unlikely to grant permission to swim in them so I Suppose we were privileged to do the race in one of their lovely bodies of water.
Two laps of a triangular course, water temp 19 degrees, but felt colder, I have not swum in a wetsuit since last September, and am a bit out of practice in swimming in general.
Started at the back and to the left as it was a clockwise course, stay out of trouble, and relax.
Claxon goes off, and the thrashing begins, count to five and start to join in, sighting would be easy until the last lap, straight into sun, but wasn't too much of a bind. A small goggle issue with leakage, which required a short stop to rectify and back into the swing of things, swam wide at the buoys, avoided trouble except when I get hemmed in on the last lap, catching up a couple ahead, two either side decided to converge and a small amount of arm flapping to create a zone of terror and peace returned.
Generally pleased with the swim, about 24:17 or something.

T1:
No mishaps just under two minutes.

Bike:
Long run to the mount line, and then onto the rural roads, a pan handle route with the standard doing two laps of the pan. It was billed as a fast course, but the wind, and the twisting nature, with any speed gained having to be scrubbed off at tight corners, before accelerating away, would not get me a fast time, maybe I should have gone with deep rim rather than disc in hindsight.
About a mile into the route, one rider was repairing a puncture, I shouted were they OK, they nodded, so I kept on. Junctions and route clearly marked, plenty of marshals, a nice route through quaint Lincolnshire villages. Relatively traffic free, it was going reasonably well, overtaking and not getting over taken, until the second lap, on one of the rare straights, I saw in the distance a rider with the bike on their shoulder, then it was on the ground, then their shoulder, now in both hands, and I was waiting for the Pro Tour cyclist to throw it into the ditch. I stopped and asked what the problem was.
It was the same rider I spoke to earlier with the puncture.
What she said was:
" third puncture, pissed off, upset, changed tyres and inner tubes, run out of spares"
She had oil on her hands, face and shirt.
What I said:
" don't worry, take my inner tube and CO2 cartridge and adapter, leave it at registration, check your tyre for flints, when you get home check if the puncture occurred in the same place, check the wheel, change the rim tape, blah, blah" I gave her my insulation tape to wrap over the rim tape.

What was going through my mind was : " I have just spent the last 45 mins over taking all these cyclists that are now going past, bollocks "

I left with the thought that if I puncture I am screwed, but at least my conscious is clear.

Two options, take it steady on the way back race pace, or go " full gas" and try and catch up some time and die on the run.
Full Gas it is.
I started to over haul some of the competitors I had overtaken early on the bike course.
And soon back to Transition.

It would transpire after the race in discussion that an other rider had helped the punctured competitor when she first punctured at the start, she complained her pump wasn't working, he then undid the valve and started to blow the tyre up. After he said that I realised that maybe despite her saying she wanted the CO2 adapter and cyclinder, may not have had the right idea about how to use it.
I never got it back, so more stuff to buy to replace what I haven't used :-(

Race clock gave me just over 1:12
STRAVA showed me stopping for around three minutes.

T2:
Just under a minute and a half

Run:

Wheels came flying off, hip pain right from the get go.
First 1.5 miles on a grass track around the reservoir, then onto the road for two laps, constant pace, variable noise, kept tapping it out, plenty of people passing me, but expected that, the excessive work on the bike was telling, but told it to shut up, and get on with the matter at hand. Saw KS on the run a number of times, not sure if he was having a worse day then me though. I didn't expect miracles and there wasn't one.

Eventually back to the finish in a little under 2hrs 34 mins

Positives to take away, managed to do the race without taking on any fluids or nutrition, other than two cups to wash the taste of sick out of my mouth due to the extra exertion at the end of the bike, it didn't projectile out of the mouth, just lingered on the taste buds.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Lincolnshire Edge Standard Triathlon

Postby Jack Hughes » 12 Jul 2015 17:06

Well done!

But am I sad to have missed it?

Not sure.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Jul 2015 17:12

Jack Hughes wrote:Well done!

But am I sad to have missed it?

Not sure.

There is Allerthorpe next month :D
jonathon.e

Postby Worrying Will » 12 Jul 2015 17:18

Just saw thison Starva. Well done
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 12 Jul 2015 19:05

Well done. You're clearly too nice.
IanM

Postby ris » 12 Jul 2015 19:09

proper decent thing to do that, jon. you might half regret it today but i know you'd do it again (as would pretty much all of us, i think).

i hope you enjoyed it - very tidy swim and bike times, that. good one - maybe oly's aren't so bad after all. :D
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby jonathon.e » 12 Jul 2015 19:52

Thanks chaps, I would never regret stopping and helping.
Provisional results

http://fastfwdsports.co.uk/wp-content/u ... .xlsx_.pdf
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 13 Jul 2015 12:44

IanM wrote:Well done. You're clearly too nice.

Sshhhh.. keep that under your hat.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby King Sad » 13 Jul 2015 22:37

Well done John Good to see you there... Probably post my report Wednesday
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby SickBoy » 13 Jul 2015 23:35

IanM wrote:Well done. You're clearly too nice.

+1

Good on you for stopping to help

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Return to Race Reports