ETU Middle Distance Championships

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

ETU Middle Distance Championships

Postby King Sad » 25 Oct 2014 13:56

Where: Paguera, Mallorca
When: 18 October 2014
Organiser: Challenge
Course details: Sea swim (slightly undulating), undulating bike, undulating run
Distance(s): 1900m sea swim; 90 km bike; 21 km run
Marshalling: Closed roads. Police controlled crossings, a reported 500 volunteers! They were everywhere, very enthusiastic, fantastic.
Facilities: Toilets, athletes village, massage, food drink, trade stands
Technical: Chip timing
Freebies: Rucksack, discount card for local businesses, bottle of local wine. Finisher’s T shirt, medal

As you know my reports are long, sorry. This is a report on the most importance race I have ever done and one of the most significant events of my life, it will not be brief. (Pix seem to be a bit big as well, don't know what to do about that, sorry)

I had been looking to qualify for AG Sprints and although getting qualifying times there were others with faster times so no place for me. In January I was going through the British Triathlon website to start my new campaign, saw the section on Middle Distance (never knew they had one), had a thought, checked my Outlaw Half results, realised I had a qualifying time and thought why not give it a go. Absolutely astounded to receive an email in March saying I was in!

My work colleagues on hearing the news and that it was all self financing held a book and cake sale saying that even if they got £25 that would be helpful; they actually raised £225 and paid for my air fares! The level of their support was overwhelming, I was even given an extra week paid leave. The decision was made, come what may I had to cross that finish line.

In August, the final team was announced; looking at the others in my Age Group, a smattering of AG Vets and regular podium placers, thought sod it I’ll give it my best shot.

Race day was Saturday the 18th; I arrived Monday evening at Paguera and Tuesday unpacked and built up my bike. Wednesday, Brent Perkins the team manager (who did a cracking job) organised a recce of the bike route. Weather was a bit warmer than the average for the time of year at 25° and quite windy.

Thursday, I decided not to do a swim recce of the full route; the sea was quite choppy, I am not a strong swimmer and as my shoulders are arthritic I wanted to give the race swim 100%. This turned out to be the right decision for me.
In the opinion the guys from Tri Camp, who were the unofficial team support crew and knew the waters, the forecast for Saturday was for calmer seas (and 28°!). My nerves were gradually climbing through the roof and tried to relax but all I did was check, pack, unpack, check and repack my flat kit and kit for the bike and run sections.

Friday was registration
after a few stutters, Challenge swung into action fairly smoothly. We got a dinky rucksack, bike, run, street wear bags and as it is Spain a bottle of local wine. Later attended the mandatory race briefing in team kit as requested and had our GB team photos taken (about 200 of us), pride just bursting out of me to be a part of it all.

Back to work and at 8pm racked my bike; transition was 275m long along a street and continued around a bend to the mount line. Then the pasta party.

This was about halfway!

Race day.

No 4am alarms. Race start was in waves from 12:00 and walking to the event area at 10am it was already 28°.

There were 22 starters in my AG 55-59 (red swim caps), 11 GB, 5 Spanish, 3 German, 2 Danes and 1 Belgian. As we lined up for the beach start, the nerves that had been building up over the months would disappear and be translated into pure adrenaline. Music was blasting away and we were surrounded by hundreds of people who had even waded into the water to cheer us.
The klaxon sounded and it was all happening, it was no longer a dream, we were racing with Pros and for our country. Fast rock music hit us along with the cheers of the crowds.

1900m non-wetsuit sea swim; my weakest discipline. It was 850m out from the start at Playa Tora beach, 200m in an arc to the left and then 850m back to another beach Playa de la Romana. Depending on the currents I would be happy with a time of 45 mins. It was pretty uneventful, water was fairly calm, got some waves about 500m out but I just swam with my confidence increasing as I got closer to the shore.

Running out of the surf and through the crowds was unreal, the first taste of what was to come. Cries of 'go GB' 'well done Williamson'. I was feeling good and time was fairly spot on at 43m and there were even some red hats still swimming. Bonus. 628 out of 940 starters, 19/22 in AG including 2 Brits and a Spaniard so pleased with that.

T1; 400m run (uphill) to Transition, get changed, slap on sunscreen and then run through the 275m transition area, pick up bike, on to the mount point.
7m 53. Not quick, in retrospect spent too much time double checking everything but wanted to get everything spot on; finish was my mantra.

90k bike. 2 loops. “The bike course promises to be fast. Without any major climbs” went the blurb. Putting this into perspective, from Strava data the Outlaw Half has 333m of climbing, the Vitruvian 650m and Paguera 1039m.

Target of about 3h 10 was plucked out of mid air. What I did not want to do though is to exceed average heart rate of 144bpm. Under Mallorca bye laws the bike circuit must be either on entirely closed roads or traffic restricted to one lane, excellent.

175m run to my bike then the remaining 100m to the mount point. Off, to cheers from GB supporters.

Up to the roundabout and then left onto the main (cobbled) boulevard in Paguera… CRIKEY, the Brit supporters were really giving it some.
Strava segment Paguera Bvd, 80/230 30.3kph av 36.0kph max. Right, out of Paguera and the start of the steady climb to Es Capdela, segment Travessera De Can Sec about 3.2k @ av 3% 124/205, 20.0kph av 37.8kph max. The fastest on Strava for the day was 6.36 whereas mine was 9.42. Where I refer to Strava segments, the positions/times are those for the day so don’t reflect the ‘all time’ figures.

The heat was ... HOT, 32°.

A steady climbing effort then a 180 switchback near the top of the climb. Just before you hit it drop 2 gears, go wide as there is a serious inside camber, then put the power on to get up a short sharp 14-18%, crest.

Back into aero through the village of Es Capdella where the locals had turned out with bells, drums music boxes and anything else that could make a noise. A quick lift of the hand to acknowledge their support and continue with the job at hand.

Now a steady pace to Calvia, segment Raceay Calvia, 79/232. 2.2k 40.8kph av 51.5kph max. Again fantastic reception from locals and volunters, up a narrow climbing road, Carrer son Mir Climb 16% 98/214 17.8kph av, 27.0kph max. Undulating for 3.8k, Calvia Out n Back 23.7kph av 42.1kph max 66/79, really took this one cautiously. A British woman, stood in the middle of nowhere cheering us on! Quite dangerous as there are rock outcrops to left and 15-30' drops to right. Taking in the highest point of the course, at the end a 360° turn around and back. Some good aero riding but care needed as suddenly presented with 90° right, get it wrong and a 15' drop before you bounce down the hill. When the Spanish mark a corner as dangerous rest assured it is dangerous! One young buck overtook me as we were heading for a 90° right with a 15-20’ drop, he managed to get round, just, he was within a few inches off the edge – ah the courage/folly of youth.

To reiterate, my avowed aim was to finish, as was the case for many that I spoke to and key to that was getting through the bike safely. I saw three crashes fortunately they all seemed to be cuts and scrapes.

Back into the Calvia descending in aero, up, brake, down, 200m up, flick left into the part that I really, really enjoyed. So much so I created segment Calvia Peel Off, 67/113, 36.9kph av 49.3kph max. Winding for 750m in aero, up, brake, flick 90° left, into aero for 1k, 80° right, up, shave some speed off, flick right, into apex of bend, down into aero, gentle cambered bends still in aero then straight road, still aero. Loving it. Get too enthused though and you attack a short climb and then into a drop and oh dear sharp right hand bend. First time round I thought someone had come off but it was a photographer standing in the short drop on the inside of the bend.

Drop towards Palma Nova, undulating then gradual descent. Hit several roundabouts where Police stopped traffic, same procedure, aero, up, brake, cross, flick right, down into aero. If a large roundabout, ease pace and stay aero.

Short savage 16% climb, series of smaller climbs then flat. For the first time I felt a breeze but not a cooling one, heat from the plain to the right was hitting us like a fan heater. The average temperature at this time of year is 22-24°, did I say it was 32°? Dehydration was a serious concern picked up a drink at feed station but only 300ml in it!.

It was great hammering into Palma Nova on the main road with all the traffic stopped watching, Palma Nova Roundabout Sprint 80/211 41.2kph av 49.7kph max. Through Palma Nova, Magaluf and El Toro bit technical at times but aero where possible to give a a show for the Brits on holiday cheering you on. The Challenge Dash 68/98 30.3kph av, 37.8kph max.

Onto the coast road, Sa Caleta Dash, 74/111, 33.1kph av, 51.1kph max, keeping a steady pace but not so fast that I blow up.

A few quite winding 'technical' sections demanded intense concentration. Fantastic straight, short, fast section through a small town, locals standing applauding, before a 90° left. A last ascent, cheered by a Yorkshire cycling club, fantastic, Brits were springing up everywhere.

Drop down into Pagueura for the end of lap one. This section was quite short and fast but I covered my brakes, in fact braking gently as … remember the mantra, aim to finish. Decent into Paguera, 91/167 51.7kph.

Hit the roundabout at the end of lap 1 … The reception was unbelievable, Union Jacks galore at the roundabout and again into Paguera so I pushed it out a bit, Paguera Bvd 30.6kph av 43.2kph max on this effort, felt obliged to pass another rider and the scream level doubled, incredible adrenaline buzz.
As soon as you cleared the 'home crowd' back to the serious work. 45k down another 45k to go and any hope of a breeze disappeared, just not happening.

By now everyone was under stress. Banter disappeared, salt encrusted Tri suits were now really started to chafe. The switch back seemed to last forever, the locals had retreated from the streets seeking shelter from the sun.

Capella to Calvia was relentless. On the 7.8k out and back the heat of the sun was being reflected from the road and the rock outcrops. Drop back into the village and the fun section started.

Back towards Palm Nova I missed one feed station as it was bloody dangerous, there were people weaving all over the place and had to hug the left hand kerb of a closed 4 lane road and shouted a lot. I think it was the same station where one of the GB team (the partner of my Pilates teacher as it happens) was passing and someone veered almost at right angles into him, his bike was written off and Simon broke his shoulder. I thought I would be OK but by ran out of fluids. I drank about 2l in total but planned on 2.5-3l.

Back into Palma Nova, Magaluf the spirit lifted. The final climb to Pagueura was torture and then that final blessed drop into Pagueura where the Brits were waiting again to lift you.

To the dismount point, half fall of the bike.

Time 3h 25.
I had taken it steady but it had hurt. 629 out of 940 starters, 2nd last in AG. The 2nd, 5th and 7th fastest bikes in our AG then blew up on the run and DNF. DNF rates for the under 40’s averaged between 12 and 16%, for those over 40 it was 8%.

T2. Trot, walk 200 to my space on the rack. There were still empty places so not too downhearted.

Racked bike, then we were required to run a circuit back to the change station to get ready for the run so that everyone ran 550m in T2.

We were like zombies, looking at each other with the same thought. Now we have to run a half marathon. I took longer than I liked, had an electrolyte drink and reapplied sunscreen..

21k run. 200m in elevation gain over 4 laps. About 2hrs was the original plan.

After 500m I thought how the hell am I going to do this? It was about 5pm and it seemed to be getting hotter not cooler. But I had never baled out of a race and the decision was not mine to make, I wasn't racing just for myself; I was racing for Great Britain. I was racing for my Dad, my hero, my inspiration. I was racing for my colleagues who had put so much faith in me and I was also racing for you who have provided me with so much fun, comradeship and support and there was no way I was going to write DNF on this race report.

The most powerful support I had was the knowledge that my Dad was at my shoulder.

The run was survival, I saw one runner in his 20's who had collapsed, his eyes were blank and making no response to the people who were administering first aid. I last saw him as an ambulance arrived; I heard there were 3 ambulance evacs and I met one of those on my flight back a member of Absolute Tri who had only just been discharged from hospital.

At each Aid Station I took on isotonic drink and stuffed water soaked sponges into my suit at the chest to get my temperature down. I walked up the ascents and ran down the descents and flats. It took me about 7.5k to get my core temperature down and my pace started to increase. I made a toilet break and used a poratloo as I was ... a bit unsure of the outcome ... turned out to be about 10ml of wee! Bum wasted all that time.

Support from the crowd was unwavering, they were filling bottles from the shops and pouring it over anyone that needed it.

About half way I came upon a para-triathlete with a prosthetic leg who was in obvious distress and rubbing his hip. Poor bugger, I could only imagine his stump was red raw. I slowed as I passed and saw the pain on his face, stopped, put my hand on his shoulder and offered my hand. We shook hands and a smile came to his face, he nodded and we then parted.

Finally I was on my last lap. My spirit and pace increased. With 500m to go I spotted an Italian and a German in front, there was no way they were going to lead a Brit home. Digging in I put in a sprint, I simply had to beat them.

I took them both with 200m to go and kept accelerating. Running the last 100m into the chute was overwhelming, tears streaming down my cheeks, high fiving the Brit supporters and the last 50m straight to the finish I had the biggest smile imaginable.

Time 2h 40 about 40-45 mins longer than planned, placed 565 out of the 940 starters and of the 358 male Age Group starters about 305ish.

Overall time of 7h 05 which is about 45 mins over what I planned on. In retrospect I had let the occasion get to me; if I hadn't had that wee break and kept my OCD in check in T1 and T2 could have got in under the 7hrs.

In reality though the time didn’t matter, I was absolutely over the moon. I had just raced for GB, what a complete buzz. My Dad would have been so proud. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry and think I did both.

Even though I placed 19th out of 22 starters in my age group I had still placed ahead of 40 other Age Groupers who were between 5 and 20 years younger than me so not too disappointing.

Consensus was the run was actually 22k (certainly was according to my GPS) and that times for most of us were over what would normally be expected by between 30-60 mins depending on ability level because of the heat but nobody cared as long as they finished.

If I never get to wear GB kit again it was an experience I will never forget.
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: ETU Middle Distance Championships

Postby jonathon.e » 25 Oct 2014 15:04

Totally chuffed for you.
A brilliant race, great result, and probably one of the most comprehensive reports yet.
Bloody well done John,
Your Dad would have been well pleased
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby King Sad » 25 Oct 2014 18:00

Thanks John, gratefully appreciated. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would wear GB kit, now I have a taste need to redouble efforts.

Dinos in Rimini? :D

King Sad

Postby Worrying Will » 25 Oct 2014 20:15

Brilliant. Amazing John and you reach red the goal of racing for GB. Something very very very very few of us will ever do.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby IanM » 26 Oct 2014 08:56

Awesome report KS, and really well done. Loving the sprint finish!
IanM

Postby CCS » 26 Oct 2014 11:19

Excellent work! Sounds like a really tough course.. Non-wetsuit swim, and running in that heat would have reduced me to a gibbering wreck.
Really well done.
Love the report too - excellent pictures!
What are the plans for next year now?
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby King Sad » 26 Oct 2014 16:54

Thank you, don't normally sprint as usually all spent but this was one occasion where I just had to do it.

Re future plans; will be seeking advice from you as uber cyclist Clare on Trainer Road. 2nd finally succumbed and will be booking some swim coaching. If I can improve by just a few % it will improve my performance in the OSB Sprint series.

Running is coming on and will keep working at that.

I would like to do Age Group again but because of setbacks this year would be looking at 2016 but even if it is the only time I so happy, words just cannot express.

King Sad

Postby birdyman » 26 Oct 2014 20:27

What a great report. I am so pleased for you. It must have been amazing to represent GB. One of my colleagues was there and said that the heat was just extraordinary and made it a really tough day.

Well done!
birdyman

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby kfjatek » 27 Oct 2014 00:30

Absolutely brilliant. Well done KS! Wearing a team GB jersey must have felt awesome, big kudos!

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby Seasider71 » 27 Oct 2014 13:28

Well done John, a credit to the Nation :D
Striving for glory.....and failing magnificently.
MAY - Enduroman Double
Seasider71

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Race Reports