Battle of the Dinosaurs Finale - Sundowner Middle

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Battle of the Dinosaurs Finale - Sundowner Middle

Postby Jack Hughes » 08 Sep 2014 23:09

So, if you haven't read the recap, it's here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10330

But to cut a long story short, 12 months, 11 races so far, and about to start the 12th and final.

After around 10.5 hours of racing, jon.e has clawed out a lead of 14 minutes, 32.6 seconds.

And the final stage is a real humdinger, the simple matter of some 6 hours of racing around lakes, down country lanes on bikes, then up country lanes on foot.

A crude prediction of times from the previous Olympic Distance triathlon gives JH the slight edge, as the swim is a much smaller overall component. But this is an edge of a couple of minutes. Nothing like the 15 minutes he needs to over turn the deficit.

However, jon.e is quick to point out that any thing can happen in a HIM.

This is certainly going to be now victory parade up the Champs Elysee

Over to our battling triannosaurs, to take you through the blow by blow account of The Sundowner Middle Distance Triathlon

JH

As jon.e kept on remarking, "anything can happen in a middle distance".

This needs a bit of analysis. By "anything" he doesn't mean champagne and caviar. Or feather beds and down pillows. He actually means "bad things can happen in a middle distance". Cramp, GI nightmares, mechanicals, implosion due to pacing errors, going off course etc. etc.

But look a little further: what's the one thing that is going to make (most) of this less of a risk? Having a load of experience through doing about 400 IMs or HIMs over the last 40 years. Like what jon.e has done.

So I am going to get my excuses in early:

1) I've only ever swum farther than 1900m once in my life (back in July, see stage 8, and that wasn't exactly good
2) I've only ever raced up to 25 miles on the bike. I've only done < 450 km on the TT bike in total. What is it going to be like in terms of comfort, from saddle through to back, neck etc. While jon.e has adapted to his over main years with many hours in the position.
3) I've only ever raced 10 miles on foot before (twice). Last time in 2009.
4) The longest tri I've done is an OD (see stage 9 report), and just three of these (the other 2 back in 2010).
5) Nutrition, pacing etc. are going to be complete unknowns.
6) After nearly breaking in the last stage, I've done hardly anything in August (about 11 or 12 hours).

In short: Bad things can happen in a HIM, and most likely to me.

So, I was somewhat apprehensive. And, to be honest, the only reason I was doing this was for the challenge. And at some point (about 12 months ago), something about it must have seemed like a good idea (probably the fact it was 12 months away). So here we are.

jon.e
Battle of the Dinosaurs, race to extinction, the final showdown.

Preamble.

Through exceedingly good organisation, this race series started on 7/9/13 and was to end on the evening of 6/9/14 at sundown, well the Sundowner Middle Distance triathlon at Allerthorpe near Pocklington, North Yorkshire.
Twelve months of various races, to test the Dinosaurs out, initially conceived as a stage race as Le Tour was starting in Yorkshire, all the stages ( except the weight loss one ), would be held in Yorkshire. Races chosen, limited the rules, to just a couple.
These being:
1. Illness and injury was a possibility, so the odd race may have to be changed or cancelled.
( JH was ill for a Fell race, and work commitments prevented JE from doing a 10km )
2. If due to a mechanical or injury occurred during the race and caused a DNF, then the Dinosaur with the DNF would take 110% of the other dinosaurs time.
3. To try and do as many events as possible
4. As extinction is the rule, and survivability an exception, we would prove the rule wrong, and be Exceptional.

After 9 stages, the time difference is less than 15 minutes, not too bad after over 10 hours of racing. Which is less than 3%. Each of us has taken on new events, re explored old ones and evolved more.

The day before the event, JH made a comment about excuses for not racing the next day, a list was produced, such as got lost, forgot kit, lent kit, broke kit etc, maybe subliminal thought transfer has its merits, needless to say that someone may, just may have almost brought a few into play, one would have been enough, but a couple, well better to be safe than sorry.

The forecast for race day, with a leisurely start of 1pm, was for rain initially, then clearing, with maybe the slightest possibility of a shower in the day. So rain, for the swim, light rain for ten minutes of the bike, and then a nice warm glow of the afternoon sun, for the rest of the race.
Not a chance, it rained, stopped briefly, rained harder, reduced in intensity, rained even harder, by the last lap of the run, some of the roads were completely underwater, the OD last month was bad, but not as bad as this. If the Met Office were paid on results, their pay packet would have been bigger if they had forecast, a meteor strike.

I arrived in good time, registered, had a chat with some other competitors, racked bike, listened to race briefing, and then ambled back to the car to get prepped. Met JH, who was getting his kit out of the car, and promptly got into a discussion regarding, forgotten kit, getting mislaid, and compulsory race briefings.

Strolled back up to registration, JH racked his bike, and then as the rules stipulated that if you started the runs last lap after 7pm you had a requirement to carry a torch and red light, we didn't anticipate being out that long, but just in case we dropped ours off.

JH
You know how it is, when you subconcious doesn't want to do something. So it just sabotages things.

So, yes, somehow I found myself around 40 minutes late setting off. Which meant that when I realised I had left all my dry kit, coat and other stuff behind, there was no time to get it.

Then for some reason, I took the wrong turn going up the M1, ended up on the M621 heading back into the centre of Leeds. Which meant having to drive across the City centre. The one advantage of a Sunday 5am start is that there is no traffic. But, of course, this was 10:30am on a Saturday morning. Oh dear. and it was raining.

So I got to the venue a bit late. Still, enough time to pump my tyres up. If I had remembered my pump. At least I had the bike. Borrowed one of a guy near me. But it was rubbish. ended up with only aboutm 90 psi in the front. A bit soft.

Started to get ready. Put the bike together and the speedfil on (oh yes, this was the first time I would use it, so I took a test sip from it to make sure that you could at least get fluid out of it. You could). But the bento box thing on. Found out what I could fit in it. All good.

Then jon.e arrived, so I got him to get his pumped. Enough air. Things were back on track. Jon.e said the briefing was fairly content free.

Rush off to get registered, get racked and so on.

A few minutes of watching the previous wave, then into the water. It's cold. With one wave having already gone, visibility is zero. Nice.

jon.e

Swim:

Four laps, around a shallow lake, the first turn is so shallow that if you go wide you can stand up and run. Two waves, we would be off in the second, seeded not on swim time, but on expected race time, so that hopefully all would be back at the finish by 8pm.
If you exclude the Fell race, this is the first race where we have started together, side by side. We had both decided to let the racing snakes go and then hit the clear water, this was fine for me, I only got clipped by one swimmer in the whole of the four laps.

My game plan was simple, I had a 14 minute buffer in GC, get a sub 40 swim, go sub 2:45 on the bike, transitions a combined 5 minutes, optimistically going for a 2:10 run, using past races, I could hopefully get five minutes in the swim, 5-7 on the bike, I know that if JH holds his run form he is over a minute a km faster than me. A fifteen minute lead when I enter T2 and, IF, the wheels don't come off, I could retain GC, but only just. I expected JH to pass me, and win the race today, but by how much was the real question.

The swim was uneventful, as I started my fourth lap the leaders were just finishing theirs, the water due to the shallowness was churned up and quite silty. Last lap finished, across the mat in a whisker under 40 minutes, but where was JH, was he out, had he done some stealth training?
No his bike was still there, phew!

JH

I don't actually mind open water swimming. I actually almost like it. The swimming bit. The bit that _ought_ to be in a warm, clear, tropical lagoon, with crystal visibility to see all the friendly cartoon fish and mermaids and stuff. Not the racing bit. I don't like people around me. I don't like people touching me. I particularly dislike being whacked and swum over. The strategy was to start at the back and go slowly. 90% of it was fine. Keeping out of the way by going wide at the start. Then a bit of enjoyable swim practice. Nice and slow to keep the heart rate down. By the fourth lap maybe I would have regain some fitness and form. Not really swum since the last triathlon. I think doing the 3.8km swim has put me off for a far bit.

During the 3rd lap, people were catching up. Wankers. Quite spoiled it. Ended up being whacked. Injesting a load of water. Then having to stop a bit to retch, clear lungs etc. Last lap was nice and quiet though. A few people around, but as keen on keeping their distance as me. Remember not to accelerate at the end (by accelerate, I mean flail around so the HR goes up with no discernable increase in speed) BECAUSE THIS ISN'T THE END OF THE RACE and I STILL HAVE ANOTHER FIVE HOURS OF PLEASURE TO GO.

Out of the water, look behind me. Was expecting to be last (in the "fast" wave), but no, there is one guy behind me.

jon.e

T1:

No real problems, took it steady, the rain was coming down, it might stop soon.
A small point about setting up transitions, for those using aero helmets, and especially those without vents, if it is raining, DON'T have it upside down on your handlebars, that would be stupid, unless you are doing the ice bucket challenge whilst racing, I left mine right way up on my transition box.

JH

In what starts to be a bit of a theme, although I _think_ I have taken it "easy" I am very light headed and wobbly. Get the wet suit of without breaking. And try to remember what I am supposed to be putting on. DIfferent kit. First time for everything. So garmin 405 on (not waterproof, want it for the run). Set this going anyway. Other garmin on. Rear light on (going to be rainy, worth a light on the bike. Socks on. Never used socks before. Managed to get them on roughly the right way round. Road bike shoes on (normally use the SPD shoes, but these are a bit tight with socks, and over 56 miles)...

Out. Get reminded that I have the number on the wrong way round. Pretty amazed that I have actually got it on. Stumbling and slipping as still really need to be lying down. Wondering if I can actually ride a bike in this state. Only one way to find out.

jon.e

Bike:

Two laps ( 2x45km), rural roads, draft marshal/race referee on motorcycle, some evidence of drafting, but not a lot.
Was aiming for 20-22mph, similar to the OD, but, also aiming to take on fluid/nutrition, every 5 miles, with a gel at 15 and 30, hitting the run without the need to take on anymore.
The rain was still present, after five miles, the visor was covered with water and grime to the state that if I had Beer goggles on, it would have been no different. By the end of the bike leg I was less white than when I started to say the least, covered in crap, may be a more apt term.
The first lap went by without much problem, still raining, I overtook more than went by me. Light traffic, but even that caused a problem as competitors were not being aware of other road users, riding in the middle of the carriageway causing cars to back up and slow other competitors down, three occasions, I had to brake and sit up, by all means ride where the drivers can see you, but once they have slowed, pull over, job done, they have seen you.

It was mid way into the second lap, that the wheels started to come off. I have a recurring lower back problem, and at mile 42, decided it was time to seize up, once that happens, I lose power to the legs, and speed drops off. As I sat up, to try and ease it up, I sat forward onto the bar and then the thighs decided to cramp up. You can only free wheel so far, before something will happen, one of Newtons laws of motion, force, object, move, stop, crash, something like that. Freewheeling down a hill is the best time to stretch the back, unfortunately a flat course provides no hills. As the speed decays, the decision that a sore back was better than a broken one, a little motivating " shut up legs speech ", and forward motion was achieved. This weird stretching motion would continue, but at the expense of taking on fluid. The first gel was ok, the second gel, was rip off top, place in mouth, squeeze, realise that no gel went into the mouth as the top hadn't ripped off properly, but the gel had exited sideways across my face, legs and Tri top. But I had spares so no problem just gooey, but the rain will see to that.

After what seemed like an age, the bike was done, but the back was stiff as a board.
2hrs 33m, under what I wanted so pleased with that.

JH
OK. I know what riding a 25 is. But not a 50. Or a 56. No point in setting a race plan, as it is so dependend on weather conditions. Not much in the way of telemtry - power would have really helped. In any case, I can't really see the tiny poor constrast LCD displays on the garmin. Have a vague idea of just averaging 20mph. What I do know is that I need to start of easier than I would.

This is my basic pacing strategy. Go slower than you think you can. Then by about half way, it will feel like your going faster than think you can. All good.

Not much to say about the bike. It rained. Perhaps predictable, after just over 25 miles I ran out of steam. Well, just the body hitting the previous limits of what is expected of it. And saying "isn't it time we stopped now?". If it the finish had been at the end of the bike, then this would have been the time to dig in. After a couple of hours my back and neck was getting stiff. Not in a particular bad way, just a enough for a bit of a stretch.

The speedfil worked pretty well. I managed an energy bar at 1 hour. But that was it. Finished the speedfil with about 15 minutes to go. Over the last 15 miles I slowed a lot, I think.

First 10 miles in the lap (according to the strava segment) was 28 minutes. On the second lap this was 29 minutes. Not too much of a slow down, but I was about 10 minutes behind where I should have been at the time I had some food. Although I might have got the calculations wrong. So it might not have been so bad.

The most remarkable thing was how underwhelming it felt. i.e. never going out hard. Just slowly, then gradually petering out. It was making a concerted effort to understand what I was feeling when I started to slow: was I hungry, thirsty, legs burned out? The answer that came to mind was "I just need to lie down and have a sleep". Interesting.

Towards the end of the bike, the rain was torrential, the HR had never been up, so my core wasn't that warm. And wearing nothing but the try suit, my neck and shoulders were getting cold. It was pretty miserable. But I didn't want to go faster to generate a bit of hit as I still had a half marathon to end. The wind had got up. It was great to get on to the run in to the finish, as this meant the wind was on your back and I could get the cadence up without having to change down a gear (I basically used the same gear for the whole ride).

A careful dismount, and a walk into transition. It was very wet and slippy.

Just made 20mph in the end, so 2hrs 43.

Some stats: I moved up 27 places on the bike (overtook 29, was suprised to be overtaken by 2, Turned out there were 5 people still in the water when I got out :D)

jon.e

T2:
Took it steady to stretch the back, put on socks and calf guards, which was preventative, just in case.

JH
Schoolboy error. Hands freezing cold (low body temp, pouring rain). And I had left my running shoes with the laces done up. Slack. But these were shoes I hadn't worn before in a Tri. Choose them for a bit extra cushioning over the racing flats. A bit of a gamble, but knee hurt a lot after the last one. And that was only 10k, not 21k.

Time for a look at the standings.

Jon.e
Swim: 00:39:27
T1: 02:10
Cycle: 02:33:25
T2: 02:34

JH
Swim: 00:46:31
T1: 03:38
Cycle: 02:43:27
T2: 03:41

So, given that we have started at the same time, Jon.e starts his run 19:41 ahead of me.

Of course, I don't know this.

The run course is 3 laps of, essentially, out and back (with a short loop at the start). So plenty of time for seeing each other.

Off we go.

jon.e

Run:

3 lap route, first 1.1km of the lap was trails, marshals at all turn points, and where it was muddy, or flooded they would point it out, so you could take care and not slip, unfortunately some didn't heed this warning ( snigger ).
Now, where was Jack, if I can get the first lap done before I see him, then I am in a good chance to take the GC, maybe the race, but only if he has run issues, very unlikely.
Legs still cramping on the thighs, and it's still raining, a couple of twinges in the lower legs, hopefully the guards will stop anything drastic.
Smile at the photographer, who says " I am looking good! ". I am always wary about comments made whilst racing.

Looking good = you look like you are going to die if you don't stop.
Great going = you are last, and I want to go home
Excellent run = I hate you, why are you faster than me

Keeping it steady and just turning the legs over, at some stage I will end up walking, the later this happens the better, but cramp may have other ideas.
I reach the turnaround, the roads are getting flooded now, and head back, now where is JH. After 5km he appears gliding effortlessly down the road, a quick high five, and I say ' excellent run ', mental calculation, he is 5km behind, 16 to do, he is a minute and a bit faster per km, so, I work out the sums, decide where I will next see him and work out possible finishing times.

JH
I pick up 4 gels - they idea to have them at regular intervals - balanced with any stomach cramping - and some water from the aid stations (turn around at lap 1 and lap 3.

Otherwise, it's just running.

I start off as usual. Normally it takes a while to get comfortable - HR zooms up, form is laboured. Tried to relax a bit, and not push too much.

First KM comes up at 4:42. pleasantly surprised - felt a lot slower. First time I've had a watch. If it was the 10k, I would push harder to get up to something closer to racing speed. Following my pacing rule of start of slower than you think and wait for the distance to catch up, I decide not to alter the pace.

I basically keep up 4:40 - 4:50 for the first 10k.

Eventually see jon.e. He's about 4km ahead. That means that if he was to stop, it would take me nearly 20 minutes to catch him. Then I would have to pull back another 15 minutes. This didn't seem at all possible. Unless jon.e was actually to stop. I don't really have any choice. Just keep running.

On the first lap I move up another 6 places (lost two in T2, mind)

jon.e

Through transition and onto the second lap, again trying not to give in to the walk, cramp is literally bubbling in my calf, like a little parasite it would twinge on the left or right and then bubble around to the other side, weird!
At the turnaround take on some water, head back to race centre, see JH still moving effortlessly, now 2km behind me, recalculate, but the speeds are relative still.
Managing to move my legs in a running fashion, cramp now exploring my thighs again, thankfully, on a good note, my back wasn't hurting anymore, but everywhere else was, small mercies and that.

JH

The halfway point arrives. Predictably, I run out of steam. Pace drops from 4:50 - 5:00 to 5:00-5:10. Again, I don't really know how to read this. The intensity is low, so it doesn't feel like I am working (HR is low), The leg muscles don't particular hurt. OK, the knees are so, and the left ankle is hurting a bit. But I can feel the form wanting to drop.

My view: You get fatiqued, you lose form, and it is the loss of form that really causes you to slow. So this is just about keeping form, trying to run effortlessly. Surprisngly, this works quite well, and nothing bad happens. Keep moving fast relative to the other people. Move up another 13 places on this lap. Although I am slowing, others are slowing faster. No negative splits in this race!

As I reach the start of the loop, I hope to get there before jon.e emerges from it. I almost make it (I didn't see him, but he must have seen me disappearing)

jon.e

The first part of the run is a loop around the lake, a km in length, as I exited the loop, JH, was starting it. Now just a kilometre behind me, five minutes, to close the gap, 7 kilometres in the lap, pass me in three kilometres, calculate, maintaining pace unlikely ( me not JH ), if I can get to the turnaround before he overtakes me, I could just take the GC, but only just, lose the race, win the series. Try not to walk, too much at stake.

Like hitting a brick wall, just after leaving the start of the third and final lap, the cramp decide to have another go, and the walking began, ok, walk 100 steps then run again till cramp hits, just hold JH off for as long as possible. I would hear squelching footsteps behind expecting a load cackle and a flash if yellow to go by. Cramp, walk, run, cramp, walk run. Turnaround, and there he is, cruising, gazelle like. He shoots by with a howl.

JH
I'm wondering if I can get jon.e before the turn, but he makes it by about 50 metres. He must feel like he is being hunted down. So, I decide that the best thing to cheer him up would be an impression of a pack of fox hounds, having picked up the scent. This no doubt helped him.

Called out for some water so they would have it ready (the water people were getting a bit tired by this point), took it without slowing down too much. Gulp it down. Attempt to say a cheery thankyou!

Then make the catch. Move to the right in case jon.e has any hopes of jumping on the train. I don't think this is likely, as he has already walked a bit, so he must be feeling bad.

I stand a chance of salvaging something - a stage win to bring us level on victories, and the satisfaction of finally beating JH in a tri.

Only 2.5km left, so nothing really to lose. Crank the pace up... back to sub 5:00/km now.

I move up another 21 places on the last lap.

See a few people that look older than me. need to catch them.

Don't want to leave anything on the road, so really wind the place up. About to catch someelse, off the road onto the crash, 90 degree turn. It's wet, and slippy, and down I go! Whump. Must have been spectucular as rather than laughing it was more "OMG, are you O... " but I am up and running again. Rather winded though. So don't quite catch the person (not my age group, so not too important), end up with the same time though, just a place behind.

Stop the watch. Then reset it and start it again to see what the gap is. My knees are killing. Feels like my lower legs have been ripped off, and replaced with rusty iron bars, dipped in acid, that someone is hammering into the stumps of my upper legs. Nice. 4 mins.. 5 mins.. He must be here soon... it was only 2.5k

jon.e

If I could stay with him, I would, but, cramp, walk, run. Three kilometres to go, my speed has dropped off now, more calculations, will he speed up, how quickly have I got to do these last few kilometres, more cramp, slowing me down, walk quickly, any more water and I can swim quicker. Time ticks on, if he keeps the speed up, and mine drops off, a fifteen minute lead will dissolve.

Keep plodding, one mile to go now ( don't you hate it when it's metric one minute and imperial the next ), do I risk injury to preserve victory, of course, it's never over until it's over, legs screaming, I can't tell them to shut up, I don't have the energy, into the park, informed by the marshal for the fourth time the grass is slippy, and over the finish line.
2:10
Was it enough?

Grab a coke, and some melon, meet JH, and yes, just, but only just. JH did a blisteringly fast HM, in adverse conditions, and after 15+ hours of racing in came down to minutes! maybe 1% difference in overall times.

End result:

JH: 5:22:22 (01:45:03 run)
Jon.e: 5:28:03 (02:10:24 run)

A 19 minute deficit turned into a 6 minute lead. But not a 15 minute lead.

We then had coffee and cake, a brief presentation took place, prizes given out, lots of back slapping before departing homewards.

And the final result:

Jon.e: 15h:48n:34.75s
JH: +08m:51.60s

So, 16 hours of racing, and it comes down to less than 10 minutes. A 0.93% difference :D

Not too bad after 12 months of racing across different sports and terrain.

And a tie on stage wins.

jon.e is the champion!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Re: Battle of the Dinosaurs Stage 10 Finale - Half Iron Tri

Postby King Sad » 09 Sep 2014 07:01

I can honestly say this series has been absolutely gripping :o A damn fine effort by both of you. Many congratulations on a splendid series and well done Jon.e on your victory and commiserations Jack but 0.93% is pretty damn close and just how it should have ended really, two damn fine chaps as near as damn it evenly matched :D Bravo :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Re: Battle of the Dinosaurs Finale - Sundowner Middle

Postby Jack Hughes » 09 Sep 2014 09:46

To be honest, no need for commiserations. I am absolutely delighted to have been beaten by such a small amount... which really means that I got to the start of 12 reasons over a 12 month period in a state fit enough to race. Particularly pleased about racing for 5.5 hours too, on the back of relatively little training - i.e between 2.5 - 4 hours per week:

From the faq:

http://www.ironman.com/ironman-faq.aspx#ixzz3Co3E9pWH

"We find the average minimum training times are at least 10 hours per week to get across the finish line of an IRONMAN 70.3."

Kudos to jon.e for being such a sport - we both had various challenges along the way. I suspect he feels more relieved that elated. ;)
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 09 Sep 2014 11:31

Awesome stuff, really enjoyed the report, and the series overall. Well done dinosaurs! Now take a well earned rest as your bones fossilize.

In an idle moment over the weekend I was wondering just how important the "4th discipline" was, and seeing as Jon.e's an old hand at T1 & T2 (and the rest of it) was this where the race was won and lost? Not quite... I make it that JH lost 5m38s to Jon.e in transition over the various tris, which would have brought the deficit down to a little over 3 minutes. But having a smaller GC gap at the start of the last stage (although biggest T1&T2 losses were in the last stage), would that have had much of an impact on race strategies...
IanM

Postby Jack Hughes » 09 Sep 2014 11:35

The problem I have is that I don't understand where I am losing the time in transition.

I don't know if it is in the getting dressed/undressed bit, or the run from timing mat to rack and back again.

I was pretty much out for the count in T1, being very wobbly post swim, walked and fumbled with laces in T2.

Generally, I don't feel inefficient with the kit bit in transition. So am wondering if it is more about the running from the timing mat to the rack and back that is the issue.

Really need someone to film both our Transitions, and play them back.

I don't mind yielding a few seconds to turn on the light on the bike, though :D
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Bopomofo » 09 Sep 2014 13:50

Brilliant stuff, Triannosaurs! To get to the start of 12 diverse events uninjured and then both compete so well is a hell of an achievement.

A gripping story, too, with less than 9 minutes separating you after 16 hours. I'd say you both won... although Jon.e obviously won a little bit more.
I had fun once. It was awful.
Bopomofo

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Worrying Will » 09 Sep 2014 13:51

Another cracker gents?
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby CCS » 09 Sep 2014 14:17

Another nail biting race. This series has been most excellent to follow - well done both. I think it safe to say that neither appears to have suffered extinction - proof, then, that the dinosaurs did not die out by means of triathlon.
I have particularly enjoyed the reports - a great battle.

I hope that next year's exploits will keep us similarly amused. It's always good to see what the 'more mature' club members can achieve!

Jack Hughes wrote:The problem I have is that I don't understand where I am losing the time in transition.

I don't know if it is in the getting dressed/undressed bit, or the run from timing mat to rack and back again.

I was pretty much out for the count in T1, being very wobbly post swim, walked and fumbled with laces in T2.

Generally, I don't feel inefficient with the kit bit in transition. So am wondering if it is more about the running from the timing mat to the rack and back that is the issue.

I figure it's all about selecting the right socks; filling them with talc; and being speedy about pulling them on. Can't believe that the running bit can make much difference, as I am a much slower runner than you, but a quick transitioner. Fumbling with laces may be part of the issue. I just leave them tied quite loosely, and run with them like that (just pull the shoes on).

You both most definitely deserve a break now.... (V718 it is then.... saw the start sheet... hope the legs are suitably recovered!)
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 09 Sep 2014 14:20

Knee is a bit sore. Not sure I can summon the enthusiasm for another outing in 7 days. Of course, it should be about 5 hours less than last time... Going to wait until Thursday to see if it settles down. There is a big waiting list for people to get in.. so I'll either have to make the decision Thursday/Friday am..
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby IanM » 09 Sep 2014 14:41

Jack Hughes wrote:Knee is a bit sore. Not sure I can summon the enthusiasm for another outing in 7 days. Of course, it should be about 5 hours less than last time... Going to wait until Thursday to see if it settles down. There is a big waiting list for people to get in.. so I'll either have to make the decision Thursday/Friday am..

8/15 reserves now have a ride. I would have been last (or just about last) reserve. For my sake, please do not DNS, as if all reserves get a ride I may be a little miffed ;) Having said that, if I PB on Saturday I won't mind too much...

Also - think of the chance of beating Jon.e in the FoBAR - a small but worthwhile victory :D
IanM

Next

Return to Race Reports