Otley 50 Mile TT

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Otley 50 Mile TT

Postby S11 » 29 Jun 2014 18:34

I start this off by full acknowledgement that I am a tit. I managed to book my hotel for this due to myself using the postcode in the race brief - then realising that this was the race organisers postcode....TIT.

Anyhow - as many will know I have been struggling as late - mostly a combination between having to study and other issues - mostly my old friend moving on. So I knew I wasn't going to be setting the heather on fire. I arrived at the event (eventually) after finding my way through the witchcraft and spells. I was struggling for time and managed no breakfast other than 500ml of H5 and a gel. Quality. I then left my car to ride to the race start having absolutely no idea where it was and managed to get lost. How did this happen, well ordinarily I would tag behind someone who was riding to the start but when I left there was no-one....so I ended up lost and when I got to the start 6mins late..so 6 mins penalty on my time.

The start/weather was rain & wind. The first 15 miles was basically cycle hard into a headwind and I do not mind admitting this but I struggled...badly. I as using the disc and had turned off the HR alarm on the garmin. I hate distractions but I've found myself looking at my garmin constantly...need to get out that habit. The first 15 miles other than being cack weather was torture. I got caught after 15miles but the next 10 were delightful - full blown tailwind and sitting at 27-30mph. Awesome. Managed to pull my Ave spd back up and thought if only I could get more of this. However this was not to be and turn around point and back into the wind....it was killing me as was my back.
I haven’t spent too much time on the TT and its been a while and I mean a while since my back hurt on a TT, however it was simply agony…not really sure why on that one. So it was basically trying to rock the pelvis on the TT – kinda looked like I was trying to hump my bike…..
Got to about circa 30miles and then came across a bicycle crash, looked like 3 riders and the police/ ambulance were already there…had to hope they were safe and ok. From the first loop there was some segments I struggled on and again these fecking segments cost me massively. The same three segments were the reason I didn’t get sub 2hr 15mins…I need to understand why – they were massively into the wind but other riders were fine….
The rest of the ride from 40 miles were basically head down and churn, the tail wind which I had enjoyed was now a crosswind, which I didn’t mind as much….50 miles in 2hrs 20mins but official time 2hrs 26 due to my penalty.
What I took from this:
I have a confidence problem
My legs don’t work
I have problems grinding out big gears on the hills
When I could get it to work - the speed concept is stunning. Just stunning.
Now I have more exams coming up, this one less onerous than the last so I’m really going to try and get some good quality training under my belt as I am bitterly gutted.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Re: Otley 50 Mile TT

Postby jonathon.e » 29 Jun 2014 19:41

Don't beat yourself up, the weather played a part, arriving late didn't help settle the mind into race mode, align the planets and next time it will be 2hr10m or better.
Everyone suffers at some part or degree, if each of the low points/segments correspond with the same aspects, such as wind/gradient etc, maybe looking at other options, take a slight hit by holding back, and using it as a slight recovery and then hit it, or continue to turn and burn and hope you don't blow up and fade quickly, always a hard decision, do you think you will be at a suitable level for the end of July, or have events decided for you ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Jun 2014 20:32

I think that was a very good debut

Looking forward to the next outing.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby King Sad » 29 Jun 2014 21:01

As before; your Chi was definitely upset and when we all know when that happens you are faced with a bid problem ... BUT, you knuckled down, didn't give in and gave it your all. Putting the penalty to one side you were less than 4% out of your target, to my mind easily accounted for by the problems you had prior to the race.

You will do better next time :D and look forward to the next report
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby CCS » 30 Jun 2014 09:30

Sounds like a tough race - well done for keeping at it.
You have obviously been having a tough time - so good work for still getting out there!
Conditions sound similar to my one and only 50 - was convinced I have a puncture, as was riding as hard as I could go, but going at snail's pace (then realised it was just a headwind) - but as you say, the joy of the tailwind leg is hard to beat!
Strangely enough, a horrible experience has left me wanting to try another 50 (after all, it couldn't be worse) - are you going to have a crack at another one?

Oh yes - and obviously, you are a complete muppet re the hotel choice etc :lol:
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby S11 » 30 Jun 2014 09:45

CCS wrote:Sounds like a tough race - well done for keeping at it.
You have obviously been having a tough time - so good work for still getting out there!
Conditions sound similar to my one and only 50 - was convinced I have a puncture, as was riding as hard as I could go, but going at snail's pace (then realised it was just a headwind) - but as you say, the joy of the tailwind leg is hard to beat!
Strangely enough, a horrible experience has left me wanting to try another 50 (after all, it couldn't be worse) - are you going to have a crack at another one?

Oh yes - and obviously, you are a complete muppet re the hotel choice etc :lol:

Yes - I'm currently looking at which event I can do. Time is sort of against me at the moment. I know that I could have done better - I should have done better. Looking at the splits the segments that cost me really shouldn't have. There was nothing hard about them but it seemed that I suffered more than more into the wind. However, the splits were consistent. The same time for two 25 mile splits - was I too conservative? Looking at the HR data (no power as I used my disc) then it would seem I went off too hard then recovered it only to then suffer in the wind.

The 50 miles is generally not a problem, I prefer the HIM at triathlon so pacing it is not an issue. I'm not as keen on the shorter events but I'm also eyeing them as well.
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby Ewan » 30 Jun 2014 11:35

Well done S11, great effort.

I'm still undecided about the Oxonian 50 on the 7th Aug(?). I'm supposed to be in France but if that trip falls apart then I'll definitely try to get a ride.
Ewan

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 30 Jun 2014 20:11

Tough race. Sounds like a proper BCTTT effort! Hope you can use the experience to race even stronger next time you do a 50.
Sir Jibbenstein

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Race Reports