Etape Caledonia

Use this to post your race reports, posts must contain references to your obligatory mid pee fart...

Etape Caledonia

Postby AndyC » 12 May 2014 11:48

ere: Pitlochry
When: 11th May
Organiser: Marie Curie Etape
Distance(s): 81 Miles (Closed Roads)
Marshalling: Plenty, very friendly. Traffic control
Facilities: N/A
Freebies: Medal and a bottle of water

This was going to be the first time I had ever done anything above 68 miles cycling. I was sure I could do it but how would I be after it.

Steve was staying there the night before so he kindly picked up my race pack which turned out to be a pain in the arse as they could not find me :? . Yup it started well before I even got there. My number did not exist, they had to make me a new one. My wave was now earlier than I had been put into before oh joy.

So got up Sunday morning at 3am stumbled downstairs had a BIG bowl of porridge and that was me virtually ready to go. Car was packed the night before. When I was getting into the car my neighbours daughters were just coming back from their night out.

The journey to Pitlochry was pretty much uneventful, of course I never checked what roads were closed. I can be glad that none of the roads I took were closed :). Arrived at the car park, which I pre booked just before 5am. I was meant to start at 6:45am. Met up with Steve, got my race pack. Then it was time for pre race bike check (yes I had done one the day before). Everything checked out okay until I decided to inflate the rear tyre and boom.....valve broke and tyre just pished out air. Change inner tube and everything was sorted.

Time to get to the bullpin. We were supposed to be in J wave, there was no way in buggery that we were getting anywhere near that wave. There was no way through we did manage to get ourselves into N wave (each wave had about 200 people in it). It was not that long a wait between waves about 2 mins. I stayed with Steve for the first 20 miles or so then he pushed on. The scenery was amazing, the weather was virtually perfect. Yes it was a tad windy but nothing like I have endured in my training rides. I was averaging about 17-18 miles per hour. Which I was happy with. Lot of hills, which also meant a lot of descents............I am crap at them too scared incase I get a puncture, which in turn did happen to someone else on the course it did look a sore one. Anyway I was making good time (I set out with 2 goals, 1 to finish, 2 to average 15mph). Then cam king of the mountain. Fook me that killed not just me but the bike aswell. Unsure of the gradient but it was 2 miles I think. Saw Steve catching up (yes I overtook him) he then overtook me about 20 metres from the summit. Then about 10 Metres from the summit........BANG. WTF was that pedaling nothing. Looked down to see that my chain had snapped, I thought that was it race done at 46 miles :cry: . I had a choice either wait for the MAVIC maintenance guys or the sweeper bus. Litterly within 30 seconds for this happening another guy got to the top and his rear derailleur had broken off. So we waited and waited and waited. Eventually one of the MAVIC guys turned up first I flagged him down to see if he could fix the broken chain and thankfully he could. By this point I was freezing, could hardly feel my fingers and had completely cooled down. From me stopping to the bike being fixed was over 45 minutes. So I was back on the road had to again take it slowly to warm the legs and me up again. This was starting to feel like 2 training sessions. Did not push up the hills to hard incase the chain broke again. By now I knew that my official timing was completely messed up. Got round the rest of the course, nothing really to report. I did have to stop at one of the feed stations as I had drunk the rest of the my water and finished my clif bar. So refilled my water bottle, and restocked with Zipvit (which I have never tried), they were nice.
Crossed the finish line in 5hr 8 mins, which is my official time. My unofficial time, as I stopped the Garmin and restarted it when the bike was fixed was 4hrs 24mins.

I am pretty much pissed off that all the mishaps today. But even with the mechanical problems I still averaged over 15 mph, which was my goal. I am even happier with my unofficial time. Averaging just over 18 mph I will take that any day.
Got changed and fed then headed home to fall asleep just past 9pm. Legs are knackered this could day more than a couple of days to recover.

Now to buy a chain and rear cassette

Onto Outlaw in 3 weeks :D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to?

Stirling Duathlon
London Marathon
StaffordShire 70.3
Outlaw

AndyC
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Etape Caledonia

Postby jonathon.e » 12 May 2014 12:13

Nice report, and a great ride, shame about the mechanicals, but best to get them out of the way before the Outlaw.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Sir Jibbenstein » 12 May 2014 12:57

Great stuff Andy. Real shame about the mechanicals. Days like that are awful. Imagine the scenery was lovely around Pitlochry, and I can imagine the hills around there put a lot of strain on your chainset! It was had enough walking around some of the falls at Easter...
Sir Jibbenstein

Postby S11 » 12 May 2014 13:14

You overtook me cause I stopped for a piss and some energy drink - you were 5mins behind me at that point. It was utter carnage at that feed station. Having elected to pick the dirtiest area they could find - most likely from the rain the night before. After I passed you on that climb I was away. That climb was superb, evil in every way but superb. Glad my hill climbing is starting to come back

I have to say as sportives go - this is one of the best I've ridden in. The organisation was superb (starting waves apart).
S11

Blog: View Blog (41)

Postby CCS » 12 May 2014 13:23

Really bad luck re the chain - but still great to manage to be faster than your target time!
Well done.
Sounds like a great event.
Have to admit that I do always carry a spare chain link in my saddle bag just in case...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby S11 » 12 May 2014 13:46

I did also tell you that chain was too dirty...just saying bud....it was bad luck fella - you were looking good on the first 20 miles
S11

Postby AndyC » 12 May 2014 13:59

Learned my lesson. Will now carry spare chain links :D Do not want this happening at any other events. You did say about my chain, I had however greased and oiled it twice this year already. But a new one beckons.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do I have to?

Stirling Duathlon
London Marathon
StaffordShire 70.3
Outlaw

AndyC
Spends enough time on here to alert the BAT/HAT/WAT/GAT

Postby S11 » 12 May 2014 14:22

Yeah but you have to clean the grime off - especially at winter time. the salt works it way through the links and breaks it - hence why mines had a new chain before serious cycling miles starts.

I take my chain off the bike and clean it properly and then inspect it to see if its damaged - a clean bike makes it easier to spot these things - just saying bud...not preaching - least you got to finish! Good effort
S11

Postby King Sad » 12 May 2014 19:18

Well done, pity about the chain but fortunately not a complete disaster and you finished, well done :D
It seemed like a good idea at the time :? .

http://www.KingSad.UK
King Sad
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby kfjatek » 13 May 2014 08:54

Well done! Certainly not a boring day in the office. ;)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Next

Return to Race Reports