It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: It IS all about the bike: CCS 2014

Postby Tritans » 27 Jan 2014 22:14

Jack Hughes wrote:Have you tested your blood sugar levels Tritans?

No I'm a bit annoyed I didn't take them before I started. But I will do soon.

I do sort of like the pork pie idea, I'm just not sure of the practicalities.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Jan 2014 22:16

Worked well. Good hard hot water crust pastry. Doesn't fall apart.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Jan 2014 22:17

At mile 60 the last one tasted so good I wept.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby Jack Hughes » 27 Jan 2014 22:17

Pork and Stilton if I recall correctly.
Omnia Vanitas

Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 28 Jan 2014 11:24

Jack Hughes wrote:Most pros do "starvation" rides at this time of year.

That is SUCH an alien concept to me!!!
Maybe will experiment with alternative foodstuffs on tomorrow's ride (weather permitting).
In the meantime, I am reduced to bringing lunch into work, to prevent being faced with temptation in the supermarket (I know how weak willed I am!)
... and sadly, I am not a pork pie fan...
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby Tritans » 28 Jan 2014 17:32

I had salted peanuts as an idea. Easy to transport, calorific, tasty and some salt.

Penned in the finest quill from The Royal County.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby Kevy427 » 28 Jan 2014 17:39

[quote="Tritans"]I had salted peanuts as an idea. Easy to transport, calorific, tasty and some salt/quote]
Mustn't be rude...mustn't be rude...mustn't be rude...
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby CCS » 29 Jan 2014 14:20

Mon 27/1 - Turbo. TR Freel http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/673479-Freel. Allegedly a recovery week on the turbo plan - still made me feel pretty sick.

Tues 28/1 - Run http://www.strava.com/activities/109509529. 11.1km in 1:02:54 sneaked in before going in to work a but late. Seem to have hit a fairly consistent pace for this distance (and not far off 10km PB pace) - quite pleased, though felt like hard work.

Wed 29/1 - Bike. http://www.strava.com/activities/109736395. 58.9km in 2:26:19 - Horrible! Standing water on all the roads - must have been carrying an extra half stone of weight in absorbed water! Freezing too - lost all feeling in fingers & toes (still warming up under the duvet after a hot bath now...) - foolish! I should have realised that cold alone is OK; wet is OK in isolation too; but both together is horrible. Worst bit was getting stuck in a traffic jam close to home, when I was just soo cold. Nearly couldn't open the back door or get undressed... did think of climbing into hot bath fully clothed!
Nutritional experiment today: cheese & marmite sandwich, cut into bite sized chunks...OK, though a but structurally unstable (perhaps better without the cheese); and difficult to eat, what with bag in bento box to try and keep them dry, and clumsy neoprene gloves. Did take some almonds too - but the idea didn't really appeal while on the move. No energy at all up the hill behind Dorking - but that may well be more down to being very cold and wet by then.
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 30 Jan 2014 11:09

With the increase in number of TTs, with the SEWTTS series, evening club TTs, open TTs this year, could this be the switch in training tactics, from training to race, to, racing to train, with the ultimate goal being The Nationals. ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby CCS » 03 Feb 2014 12:23

Thurs 30/1 – Turbo – TR Jobs. http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/690498-Jobs
A supposed ‘recovery’ session again (!?) – still tough, but much closer to holding the target power level, which I always find hard on these longer intervals. Perhaps time to re-test FTP (though slightly dread that, as I hate the test workouts, and I know what sort of sessions are coming next in the plan – more long intervals, which I don’t much fancy doing at a higher target power).

Fri 31/1 – Bootcamp. Post bootcamp swim ditched in favour of quick coffee – naughty! :oops:

Sat 1/2 – Short run during judo. 5.5km in 31:09 – damned Garmin display not working (though the unit itself seems OK, still making all its usual bleeps etc – but useless when I can’t see what it says!) – must get it sent back while it is still under warranty.

Sun 2/2 – Turbo – 8 min test http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/703149-8-Minute-Test. I am really bad at pacing these – and it felt really tough. Still, FTP up to 177 now. Interesting observation – in the warm up, in the first couple of bursts where it asks you to really push the cadence, I found it really easy to up the power (way beyond the target when I went for the cadence they suggested) – but the impact on HR suggested that I definitely can’t hold a high cadence for long. Should I work on this (perhaps some Whitney style workouts on my non planned bike days) and try to get acclimatised to working at a higher cadence – or should I just accept that I am a low cadence sort of person (presumably my leg strength is better than my cardiovascular fitness)... or should I just stop thinking myself around in circles when I am bored on the turbo.

8 days now without sugar, and I seem to be doing OK. Afternoon slump seems to be disappearing – though I has shattered after the FTP test, and did resort to a power nap. On the positive side, I am currently pretty much the lightest I have ever been (certainly in the last 20 years or so, barring stomach bugs / food poisoning episode etc), and currently am about 3lbs under my best case race weight – though sure that will fluctuate as it usually does... A few weeks of training hard and trying to eat healthily seems to pay dividends!
CCS

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs