Big Show Begins Again

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Big Show Begins Again

Postby Big_Show » 17 Apr 2014 20:13

Things sort of exploded a bit on Tuesday so not had time for things since then. Back to it tomorrow - I'll even be entering a race and everything. More explanation to come in a regular thread in General Discussion.

Sent from the rural east.
Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 17 Apr 2014 22:11

Target acquired the Friday 5 Series - http://www.stowmarketstriders.org.uk/fri5series.shtml

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 18 Apr 2014 20:37

Training plan for the next fortnight is written. Kicks off properly on Monday. Aiming at that five mile race next month, and possibly some others in the meantime.

Today I hit a run first thing - a nice 5.0M route in 39:03 @ 7:49/mile average. Accidentally found a 1.2M Strava segment which I'm going to use in a few training sessions as a tester.

Then went for a nice 2hr wander across the countryside with my Dad. It's all so flat! Felt we'd earned a pint for that so stopped off on the way past.

Caught up with Day 11 of the PILP programme too. Motivation is currently high and I'm looking forward to a good workout tomorrow morning as well before a family BBQ.

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 19 Apr 2014 22:46

Now things are a bit more settled I'm aiming at another 28 day fat-loss challenge. A race at the end of next month (and potentially another before then) seems to be focussing my thoughts enough to take it.on.

So by the end of May I'll be aiming for 7lbs weight and 2" of my waist. First measurements on Monday.

So Day -2 looked like this:
- easy 3.3M run @ 8:10/mile pace this morning
- Day 12 of PILP done before lunch too (I now hate planking)
- Bodyweight workout & stretching this afternoon.

Tomorrow I'm heading out for a long run in the morning. After building up gradually it feels good to be attempting double figures for the first time in ages - my heart just doesn't really feel like it's a long run unless it's at least 10 miles. Arbitrary numbers are funny like that.

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 20 Apr 2014 12:40

Day -1:

A nice easy 10.2M plod round the Suffolk countryside in 1:25:03 @ 8:21/mile average. Slowed quite a bit towards the end, but that's probably because I ran the last two days in a row as well as running further today than I have for a while. More than happy with that. Plus it burnt about 2000 calories apparently, which will come in handy today.

Off to an Easter fun day with my nephew & niece this afternoon so plenty of walking left to do as well. Should hopefully stop my legs seizing up too quickly!

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 20 Apr 2014 20:17

Interesting reaction to this morning's run - I have been absolutely knackered ever since even though it wasn't at all fast. Might take a little while to get used to that distance again.

My left ankle has also been quite sore in the area I previously fractured it. Looks like this is going to be a recurring theme whenever I hit any big distances/training volumes.

Still, it'll be easier next week because I did it today. And so we move forward.

Big_Show

Postby Jack Hughes » 21 Apr 2014 08:36

Well done!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Big_Show » 21 Apr 2014 22:42

Day 1 - starting at 16st 5.6lbs, and a 43.5" waist. How lovely. Glad I decided to work on that.

Bodyweight workout this morning. It worked quite well, although I am appalling at using a skipping rope. For skipping, obviously.

Went for a long walk after that - 2hrs40 across the countryside on a nice sunny day. Lovely.

Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 22 Apr 2014 21:09

Bit of a frustrating day - spent the majority of the day knocking round the house waiting for phone calls that were not forthcoming. By the time I finally got them (after 5pm!) other things were happening, so I ended up heading out for my run after tea.

Today was my first attempt in quite a while at a quality-ish run workout. As it's been a while I wanted to ease myself into it, so I adapted a hill workout we used to use in the Harriers - find a hill, run up it, but keep the effort going round the corner and along the road for a bit longer. Recover very slowly round the rest of the block and repeat.

I identified a hill*, did a short loop for the warm-up, then cracked on with the session. The first couple of reps seemed the hardest as I'm out of practice, and my efforts got faster as I went on! Seeing as I've now got on to Strava I created this segment to capture the information - slightly demoralising to realise I was only climbing 39ft but still ended up gasping for air that much...

I don't think people are used to seeing runners doing speedwork round here. On my way back down the hill after the last rep I got asked from a balcony how many laps I'd done and whether I wanted any water! Either I could have pulled, or I looked like I was on my last legs. Probably the latter...

This workout should give me some reproducible speed sessions, so next week I'll do the same again with a couple more reps thrown in. Overall 4.8M in 40:52 @ 8:29/mile average (which always looks rubbish on hill workouts). This is also the first run I've actually logged as a "workout" on Strava - the rest were just down as runs, apart from a couple which I called "long runs". Presumably this is the distinction they were looking for; it'll be nice when I finally get to log something as a "race".

I've started noticing more Strava segments around the place. Surprising how tempting it is to start designing specific workouts around them to try and bag a record. Could be at the top of a slippery slope

*N.B. a Suffolk hill = a Midlander incline = a Northern speedbump
Big_Show

Postby Big_Show » 23 Apr 2014 20:06

Right hip was a bit sore after yesterday's session. Interestingly, it felt a lot better today after I'd done a workout. Not sure what to make of that, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Easy run this afternoon (spent the morning hanging round for another phone call) - a nice simple 3.3M in 26:28 @ 8:08/mile. When I got back I did the bodyweight workout in the garden. Gradual progression continues - it still feels a bit too easy, but when I look at where I should be in a couple of months if I stick to it I find it a bit scary, so I'll carry on with what it says! So 20mins of various exercises followed by some proper stretching paying particular attention to my hamstrings and calves.

Day 14 of the PILP programme done too. Fitting them in as and when I can; this should be more interesting (and necessary!) from Friday when I start commuting for a temporary contract until my visa comes through; 2hr30 each way door to door, although the take-home pay justifies it. Just need to make sure I'm utilising my downtime as well as possible...
Big_Show

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs