FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: FROM THE TEA ROOMS OF MARS TO THE HELL HOLES OF URANUS!

Postby Worrying Will » 04 Feb 2013 22:05

another great read. Interesting about the off and the casue. I found myself at the park run doing the same thing and my pace had dropped loads and I had no idea where i was.

this years winter swim seems to have been constant improvement on every round.

With regards training in the morning/afternoon and simulating race condtions i found that i preform about the same at either time but the afteernoon ones for simulate the lack of food and loss of energy you get during a race.
Thinks to much about it all
Worrying Will

Postby jonathon.e » 04 Feb 2013 22:28

Jack Hughes wrote:Good thought provoking stuff.

Gathering the storms to troop, by the sound of it.

Absolutely, saw them in concert on the Misplaced tour, but they didn't play Grendel :(
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 04 Feb 2013 23:02

Saw them a few times in 82. When they did Grendel a lot. Before the first album came out. They were doing a lot of warm up gigs for the recording sessions and subsequent tour. Just after they signed to emi. Solstice and quasar too.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 05 Feb 2013 11:24

Another interesting log (always take some time to read / digest)!
Hope you are recovering!
It's always the danger of a solo bike ride - that you use it as quiet time to get thoughts straightened out - which probably isn't the best for concentration!

Sure the think with winterswim going better in the afternoon is down to personal body clock - and I guess there is only so much you can ever to do re-train that. I am definitely an early evening person - so a bit rubbish, since, as you say, most events are silly o'clock affairs!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby jonathon.e » 06 Feb 2013 21:02

" I'm not giving in to security under pressure,
I'm not missing out on the promise of adventure,
I'm not giving up on implausible dreams "

This week has raised rather more questions than answers, discussions on the best time to train, leads on to weather the weekend warrior who works a 40+ hr week, and trains where possible is maybe a better triathlete than the pro who can choose optimum times to train, based on body clocks, weather etc and not grabbing the odd hour here and there, due to family and work commitments. I stand by my statement from a few months back, that there are a number of very talented athletes amongst the club, some of which could easily be GB age group competitors, but due to lack of time etc they may never achieve greatness. BUT, and really this raised the question that if they trained for selection would that cause resentment to the sport, and cease to enjoy what is an escape from the norm, a time to themselves, bringing us around to the question raised by CCS, that thinking about something other than what you are doing may cause an accident, the more you train the more likely to train alone, and therefore also more likely to have an accident, simple prop ability states that the more you do something the more likely events will happen such as punctures, cars wiping you out etc.

Also raised this week was by Shadowone1, who queried why he seemed to be going slower at swimming but still kept times that were concurrent with a fast swim. Pool temperature ?, pool depth ?, number of other swimmers?, or as we get better at something can we become more susceptible to small changes, form is critical in the pool. Become too tense, form slips, speed drops so we compensate by increasing force from arms and legs, this maintains speed but quickly fatigues us, so maybe, if you feel that way, stop, take a few cleansing breathes, relax, and swim more leisurely, forget time for a few lengths and then try again. Stress causes the body to become tense, tense muscles are shorter than relaxed, more prone to injury and slower times. Pick up a golf bat and hit the ball with a relaxed swing, now standing in the same place tense the muscles and try and hit the ball, chances are if you hit it it didn't go in the right direction. Learn how to relax, find a way to do this, breathing, reciting poetry, reading, visualising , listening to music or a talking book narrated by Carl Sagan. Something as simple as that could improve your performance. Your mind is often your greatest barrier.

Recovery is going ok, off the anti inflammatories, using a TENS machine to massage the muscle, managed a static bike ride for 30 mins, with only moderate pain so may get out on the bike this weekend.
Since I have just entered the first race of the year, which is in three weeks so better get a move on, hate to let the team down.

Speaking of quotes, my last entry used quotes from Harvey the film starring Jimmy Stewart, if you want to watch a afamily film on a rainy afternoon, this is my favourite, each line is a corker, well written, avoid the remake with Leslie Neilsen, it is atrocious.

Speaking of films, warning possible spoiler alert, the film Flight, starring Denzil Washington, first 30 mins stunning the next 90 average, but from a professional point of view, can an airliner fly upside down, if you YouTube " Boeing 707 barrel rolls", or similar you will see a nice clip of a test flight of an early B707 flying momentarily upside down as it rolls.
However regarding the inverted flight, when I was learning to fly in the eighties, yes I am that talented, my instructor related a story of an incident when an aircraft had to fly inverted to prevent it crashing due to its wing folding mid flight, it took a while but if interested the following link is from the pilots account,

http://www.aerobatics.org.uk/repeats/zl ... ailure.htm

A calm approach and relaxed attitude led to a successful conclusion, if he wasn't relaxed and logical in his approach maybe the end result may have been different.

Flying is safe honest .
jonathon.e

Postby sonofsammo » 08 Feb 2013 09:23

Finally caught up on this....
Hope you're ok after the crash?
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Postby jonathon.e » 08 Feb 2013 09:33

sonofsammo wrote:Finally caught up on this....
Hope you're ok after the crash?

Mending well thank you, hopefully back out on the bike this weekend, just in time for the ice and snow :lol:
jonathon.e

Postby jonathon.e » 09 Feb 2013 23:37

Mine is the chase and the luck of the draw
Yours is the iron hand of the state
Yours is the book, the bell and the rope
Mine is the Gamblers fate

Injuries healing nicely, thought I might have had to wait another week before getting outside again, but the weather, was cold, the roads quiet, some ice in the shadows and I wasn't at work. Initially it was going to be a small run out, but, it was such a nice day ( well given the conditions that I have been out in lately ), it was the best day I have ridden in for a few months. So kept going to clock the 100km for the challenge.

The ride took me from one of the lowest places in the Lincolnshire Wolds to the highest, which isn't exactly climbing a Lake District pass, but it was still up hill. Trundling around got me thinking, why was I doing this 100km, Last year, I did one ride over 45 miles, I haven't raced middle or greater for a long time, the ride eats up training time, for more specific training, for say short course events. I have lost speed, for endurance. So why. Suppose it is because it is a challenge, fitting it in, finding four hours, through time management, family commitments, it is easy to see why this club challenge has a high fallout, but one more to do, challenging yes, purposeful, for me, not really.

If Harry Potter is looking for his cloak of invisibility, I think I must have it. Now you wouldn't think that a six foot two inch, sixteen stone bloke would be hard to miss, but no thanks to Harry's cape, cunningly disguised as a cycling jacket, nice yellow panels, three back lights on the bike, one flashing light attached to the helmet car drivers may notice you, but no, even with the streets around here littered with signs showing riders with lights on them, it might help, yes sounding your horn will make me more visible I am sure.

But being invisible seems to be a trait I have picked up, despite working at my place of work for over twenty three years, some management, still are not aware of who I am, in fact there are only five other people who have worked there longer than me, we'll, suppose if they don't know me, they can't blame me. Even at triathlons, I must blend in and become invisible, despite standing next to my kit in transition, the competitor next to me starts moving my stuff, " sorry mate, didn't see you, just moving you stuff ok," , " No you little tossed, it isn't ok, for you to move my trainers, so you can put your towel, cycle shoes, water, helmet, bag, box, trainers, in an area that you could build a small detached cottage on"

So who do you meet in the transition area, any of the following:

Mr Bling- shiney bike, disc wheel, pointy hat, generally followed around by waifly thin girlfriend, and a small entourage of club athletes, later seen at the finish, discussing why, he DNS, DNF, or the wind just caught him on the corner, pushing him into the gutter, puncturing his tyre, but as it was only a sprint tri, there was no point in carrying spares, as he was only in it to win it.

The Super model-easily recognised by immaculately turned out make up, hair style, kit, which surprisingly does fit, unlike everyone else's which doesn't. Despite transition being a quagmire, the wind gusting over 40 mph, and torrential rain, they will still finish the race cleaner and more immaculate than when the started.

The one tri expert.- usually the loudest in transition, telling everyone how to lay their kit out, what the best way to plan the race is, why every one is doing it wrong. Most sentences used are directly picked from Joe what's his face training bible, and when pressed as to what triathlons they have done before, will side step the question, move away and start talking louder further down the transition line.

The Occupationist- like a country from the nineteen thirties, this competitor will want to occupy as much space as possible in transition, his own, yours, the one the other side in front, behind, his towel will be a family picnic rug, unable to do simple arithmetic, ten bikes in a row that is five metres long would give each competitor, at least four metres to lay out their kit, probably works in Banking, at least to his reckoning.

The Sly dog- ambles into the transition area, spends two minutes putting his kit out, then disappears, his kit is used, mucky, might have a couple of race numbers on the handlebars, when he puts Lycra on, it looks billowy on him. He will be a contender.

The OCD triathlete, most fall into this, they spend ten minutes getting their kit out, it is orderly, neat, clean, if you watch carefully they will return to transition a number of times prior to racing, to check the bike is still up right and not leaning, the tyres are still pumped to 106psi, as that was the pressure he has always used, checking the right gear is selected, making sure no one has moved anything, even when not in transition he will be watching.

Maybe I will do the supporters next log entry.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 10 Feb 2013 09:12

Do I sense some underlying rage?

The squeakiest wheel gets the oil.

Nice ride btw.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby jonathon.e » 10 Feb 2013 10:34

Jack Hughes wrote:Do I sense some underlying rage?

The squeakiest wheel gets the oil.

Nice ride btw.

You know me too well ;-)
jonathon.e

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs