Moff Goes For The Middle Distance

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Moff Goes For The Middle Distance

Postby Moff » 18 Nov 2012 20:20

Today I went rowing and didn't capsize/fall out/otherwise get wet. I did, however, manage to slip down a bank and bang my head against a shell, almost fall in the Trent and get laughed at by a (literal) boat-load of attractive women.

I never appreciated quite how much coordination rowing takes and how different it is from using an erg in a gym. But it is fun and the club has a pretty good scene and competes at a lot of heads and regattas. Don't worry, guys, I'm not leaving Tri behind but this might be a good way of cross-training and picking-up fewer injuries.
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Postby Kevy427 » 18 Nov 2012 20:53

Moff wrote:manage to slip down a bank and bang my head against a shell

Moff wrote:might be a good way of cross-training and picking-up fewer injuries

Going well so far :lol:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby Moff » 20 Nov 2012 19:50

20/11/12

5.30 pm

20 mins rowing (ergometer). Short, surprisingly tiring technique session on an erg in a nice warm gym. Just sharing that.
Bopomofo wrote:They've literally like seen him on telly, all on the news and that and then like come to see me and are all like "Here, you're into triaflon and ting, what about this nob?"
Moff

Postby Moff » 20 Nov 2012 23:53

Resetting My Goals

My recent inability to run more than 2 km or cycle _at all_ without some sort of pain has led me to rethink my aims. As a result, I'll be abandoning these two for a few months to heal and prevent aggravating the old injury more than I have previously. If all goes well, I'll be able to return to 'proper' tri training in early March with no loss of cardio fitness or strength. So here's the plan:

1 x club rowing session (minimum)
1 x pool swim (minimum)
2 x rowing (erg) sessions
2 x weights sessions

I detest pool swimming and genuinely cannot wait to get back into Dosthill Quarry when it's warm enough but I'll have to quench my OW thirst in a boat. I'm planning to merge weights/erg/swim sessions so I'll be doing swimming/weights or erg/weights to, hopefully, reduce training days and increase recovery time. Weights will be rowing focussed along the lines of deadlifts, squats and power cleans with weights chosen for power gains (explosive effort).

I love it when a plan comes together...
Moff

Postby Moff » 21 Nov 2012 19:24

21/11/12

5 pm

5 min erg warmup
2 x 5 Inverted chest press (TRX)
2 x 5 Pull-up row (TRX)
4 x 5 20 kg squat
5 x 5 40 kg bent row
and finally...
A whopping 150m swim because my arms were too shagged to do more.
Moff

Postby kfjatek » 21 Nov 2012 19:29

Moff wrote:and finally...
A whopping 150m swim

Aaaaah, so THAT'S what you meant by going for the middle distance. I get it now. ;-)

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Previous

Return to Training Logs