Caught Between Thought and Expression

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: Caught Between Thought and Expression

Postby jonathon.e » 17 Sep 2012 22:38

Sir Jibbenstein wrote:Interesting perspective. I guess these are thoughts that come with experience. The idea of pacing 3 events not just one is only starting to come in now, I guess it depends on how you approach the sport as well. Should certainly be food for thought for everybody.

In my youthful exuberance, when doing duathlons at my local evening league, I would just go off as fast as I could and try and hang on as long as possible, over a period of time I could stay on their tails longer but always trailed off. Then I changed tactics, started slower, but maintained a faster overal pace, I still lost, but the gap was smaller.

In the swim I will try and swim wide, stay out of the maelstrom and move through the heaving masses as they fall foul to the over exuberance at the start, I may swim slightly further, but again the pace is quicker. Yes, it does take practice, an oft repeated expression, and I think is mentioned by Spencer Smith in one of the Tri mags, but it has been around for ages is, " the winner is not always the fastest, but the one who slows down the least ".

Adopting this, allows me to help compensate for my injuries, the more youthful, may not find this practice works for them, just a different rambling viewpoint.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby jonathon.e » 28 Oct 2012 13:04

Must make an effort to try and do a half marathon before month end, but have been slightly melancholy for the past couple of weeks, a chap I used to race against regularly back in the nineties and early noughties, has sadly passed away, aged 36.
He was good, very good, won a number of races both home and abroad, one of the naturals who could turn up a couple of minutes before a race, and just blitz the opposition.
At the regular fortnightly duathlons I would try and hang on to him for as long as possible, after the first two miles he would have 30 seconds on me, after the 11 mile bike I would be down another couple of minutes, and then lose another on the final run, he just made it look easy. Although not a pro, he held up a job as a firefighter, at the National sprint Championships he would be amongst the pro's in the placings.
Nine years younger than me, family man, kids, life sucks.
jonathon.e

Postby scibby » 28 Oct 2012 20:09

Crikey. That really sucks.

Chin up old fella...
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby jonathon.e » 28 Oct 2012 20:55

scibby wrote:Crikey. That really sucks.

Chin up old fella...

Thankyou Christine, it is appreciated,

If anyone else is reading this, don't procrastinate about what to do, go and do it, forget umming and arring, andbeing undecided, go and do things you want, decide a course of action, involve your nearest and dearest, don't just keep saying you want to do this that and the other, and then do nothing. Life is short enough, without the fickle finger of fate being wagged in your face.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 29 Oct 2012 07:35

Tough.

Appreciate what we've got.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby sonofsammo » 29 Oct 2012 08:22

Sorry to hear that. Seriously sucks :-(
Life is short and it's the only one we get. Carpe diem.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Previous

Return to Training Logs