Caught Between Thought and Expression

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Caught Between Thought and Expression

Postby jonathon.e » 13 May 2012 19:55

Being somewhat ambivalent regarding training,should I or shouldn't I,will people read this log.....well as injury causes training to be more hit or miss,maybe some Sage words of wisdom when I enter a comment might make it interesting.

You will never win a triathlon from the swim but you will lose one.

Think about it,....go on...think of the effort you put in to gain a few seconds,put the same effort in on the bike or run and you can knock minutes off.Be it in training or racing,for non drafting.If racing draft legal racing then you need to be fast in the water to stay with the lead pack.
What does the swim entail....warm ...cold...knock on effects for the run and bike......Triathlon is three individual sports with an intertwined symbiotic relationship,will swimming as fast as you can really get you the best time overall?????

My training this week,has been a couple of short rides,almost nodding off on the aerobars as I tried to keep my eyes open and a swim.Not brilliant..
But I have got a new Knee brace,which I will use when the knee pain subsides,no pain killers for three weeks now.It is a new design,so we will see if it is all cracked up to do what it says on the tin.
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Re: Caught Between Thought and Expression

Postby jonathon.e » 17 May 2012 21:25

More thought than expression this week,alot more thought.
Sunday,swim and a small bike,well the bike came outside and then went back in after a few minutes.
Monday,zip
tuesday,more zip.
wednesday,less than zip
thursday,1500m swim in 23 mins,and a quick 10mile bike(25m09s)
some sum total in 5 days....less than 2hrs.

We all want free speed,generally we pay for it though aero this,and dynamic that,lightweight crap we really dont need,we pay the cash to overcome the Rules or laws of physics,or at least to use them to our benefit.So thinking more outside the box,if we cannot get free speed,how can we reduce the time spent on the race(personnally I prefer to take more time as I then get better value for money).
It all comes down to multi tasking,how many jobs can you do at once,and how quickly can we get to thes tasks....
Ask some triathletes where they get changed between swim to bike and bike to run,and they will say the transition area.......does it say that this is compulsory in the rules...Is it quicker to get out of the wetsuit as soon as you exit the swim or run in it to transition....depends on the course...a long run and getting out of the wetsuit as soon as you exit,can give you a few extra seconds,races such as Clumber park had a run of over 400m,IMW,Blenheim,personal choice but one to think about.
Races such as Skipton,a pool tri,has another long run,if you race in trainers for both the bike and run,leave the trainers at the pool exit(unless the rules specifically state no to,faster to run in trainers than bare feet across gravel etc,but personal preference.
Do you leave your number belt with your helmet,or,stick the belt in your pocket of the trisuit,swim with it and then put it on as you run to T1.
Can you gain any advantage by the bike racking in transition.....if numbered racks the you get what you are given,but citing Skipton again,huge transition,get bike as close to exit for T1 and dump close to entrance as you enter T2.......closly followed by ''My run stuff,towel and other crap will be at the other end of transition''.....when I leave T1(sprint dist),I leave nothing behind......swim goggles are placed in back pocket,I race in trainers,QED,nothing is left.
These are all marginal gains for nothing,these marginal gains add up to minutes,when you get as old as me,seconds count.
KNocking seconds off your race time can be got for free.And free stuff always feels good.
jonathon.e

Postby Jack Hughes » 17 May 2012 21:29

You should write a book :)

All good stuff!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby scibby » 18 May 2012 07:26

Jack Hughes wrote:You should write a book :)

True. But please put some spaces after your punctuation!, hurts me eyes!!

Tis a good read though, keep it up!
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 18 May 2012 08:23

Good stuff this :-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby jonathon.e » 18 May 2012 09:25

scibby wrote:
Jack Hughes wrote:You should write a book :)

True. But please put some spaces after your punctuation!, hurts me eyes!!

Tis a good read though, keep it up!

No pain ..... No gain. :D

Current working title for the book is ..
" Dastardly shortcuts to Triathlon success "
jonathon.e

Postby scibby » 18 May 2012 09:30

Better, but the spaces should come AFTER the punctuation... (As in, COMMA then space. Or, FULL STOP then space. And you can have one full stop or three dots but not 2 or 4 or more!)

;)
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 18 May 2012 09:33

scibby wrote:Better, but the spaces should come AFTER the punctuation... (As in, COMMA then space. Or, FULL STOP then space. And you can have one full stop or three dots but not 2 or 4 or more!)

;)

You should be a proofreader, Scibbs ;-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Kevy427 » 18 May 2012 09:41

Two spaces after a full stop :geek:
Pedalling between cake shops
Kevy427

Postby jonathon.e » 18 May 2012 09:42

scibby wrote:Better, but the spaces should come AFTER the punctuation... (As in, COMMA then space. Or, FULL STOP then space. And you can have one full stop or three dots but not 2 or 4 or more!)

;)

OK I think that I get the idea of this language. But, in defence I am multitasking at the moment.
jonathon.e

Next

Return to Training Logs