Mrs JB's middle distance training - advice/abuse welcome!

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Mrs JB's middle distance training - advice/abuse welcome!

Postby Mrs Jellybaby » 17 Apr 2012 16:44

I felt it was time I started keeping a proper training log as I really need to start ramping training up for my middle distance at the end of July. It's really not that far away and I'm a tad scared now!!!

The reason I've signed up to a half (other than living with someone whose an Ironman which makes it seem more 'normal') is that this year I want to get fit, toned and be more healthy. The crunch point came on New Year's Day when JB and I were driving home from a very fun (and boozy) party and I was literally crying because I was so hungover!! I'd been over-doing it for the whole of December with a month of work and social parties and I needed a kick up the bum. So I signed up to the Fambridge Yacht Haven Middle Distance Tri on 29th July. And then I got the fear! How the hell was I supposed to complete something so challenging?!! (I'm still not sure I know the answer to this!)

I'm naturally an ok runner and generally enjoy running and doing aerobics and dance classes at the gym. The fastest 10k I've ever run in a race was 50mins and I've only ever done one half marathon in my life (2hrs 10mins). I've only learnt to swim with my face in the water in the past year (and have had too disastrous open water swimming races where I've panicked and been unable to put my face in the water at all). I'm also fairly new to riding and have got cleats in the last month (with more disastrous results and lots of bruises!).

So as you can see a middle distance is going to be a steep learning curve for me! But having read Chrissie Wellington's autobiography and having signed up to the France training camp, I'm really motivated and want to make a success of this. I've been recording my training since January, which I think shows some weeks of solid training followed by lots of patchy bits!

I realise that I now need to focus on consistent, regular training and ramping up distances. I especially need to spend more time on the bike, do lots more swimming drills and open water practice. And I think my social and work life might need to be put on hold a bit more than I've been doing so far!!

So here's my training log so far... any advice/ suggestions/ abuse/ banter/ encouragement gratefully received!!!

Week 1
Jan 10 - swim 28mins
Jan 11 - track session (1200m warm up, 3x400m, 4x200m, 5x100, 400m warm down)
Jan 12 swim 1hr
Jan 15 29.95 mile cycle 2hrs 45mins
Jan 16 swim 1600metres

Week 2
Jan 19 body combat 1hr
Jan 21 run 1hr

Week 3
Jan 28 run 10k 58 mins
Jan 29 swim 45mins

Week 4
Feb 3 run 8 miles 1hr 20 mins/ swim 20mins
Feb 4 turbo 55 mins

Week 5
Feb 8 body combat 1hr
Feb 11 11k run 1hr
Feb 12 10.8k run 1hr10mins
Feb 13 turbo 45 mins

Week 6
Feb 15 turbo 30 mins
Feb 18 swimming lesson 1hr

Week 7
Feb 21 body combat 1hr
Feb 22 body attack 1hr/ swim 30mins
Feb 23 run 30 mins
Feb 24 swim 30mins/ run 33mins
Feb 25 run 8 miles 1hr 24mins

Week 8
March 2 run 7.4miles 1hr 17mins
March 3 swim 30mins
March 4 swim 45 mins
March 5 RPM class 50 mins

Week 9
March 6 swim 35mins/ body combat 1hr
March 11 8 mile run
March 12 RPM class 50mins/ swim 30mins

Week 10 nothing, oopppps! I blame my birthday!

Week 11
March 21 body attack 1 hr/ swim 30mins
March 22 run 10k 57 mins
March 23 swim 1hr
March 24 run 10.8miles 2hours
March 25 turbo 1hr
March 26 swim 2k 50mins

Week 12
March 30 run 8miles 1hr17mins
March 31 turbo 55mins (Big Gear Strength Spinerval)/ brick run 18mins

Week 13
April 3 swim 30min drills/ body combat 1hr
April 4 body attack 1hr
April 5 swim lesson 1hr
April 6 run 10.8k 57mins
April 7 run 8 miles 1hr 30mins
April 9 turbo 2hrs 20mins/ brick run 20mins

Week 14
April 10 swim drills 30mins
April 12 body combat 1hr/ body pump 1hr
April 13 turbo big gear strength 15 mins/ 20 mins hill reps

Will try to update every week from this point on!!
First ever triathlon ... DONE!
Now on to "operation beat JB in a race".
Mrs Jellybaby

Re: Mrs JB's middle distance training - advice/abuse welcome

Postby Tarka the Nutter » 17 Apr 2012 17:17

Great idea Laura :-) Now get training ;-)
Global Domination award winner 2012
(basically because I've lost the plot!)
Tarka the Nutter

Postby Bendy Ben » 17 Apr 2012 18:15

Great stuff Laura

Great log of training so far but i'd say get on that bike on the roads. Turbo'ing is great but nothing is better than doing it on the roads.

Youve only done one road session on the bike in 14 weeks. You need to start iincreasing that.

Great improvement in swimming too.

Im living on my bike now so anytime you want to come out with me then lets go. No excuses. You'll benifit from bike handling skills too.

This IMHO cant be underestimated.

Yipeeeeee

You'll be great and France will help loads - make sure JB buys you some Compressport gear before we go though.
Bendy Ben

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jellybaby » 17 Apr 2012 18:38

Bendy Ben wrote:You've only done one road session on the bike in 14 weeks. You need to start increasing that

She knows that, and keeps saying she wants to go out, but our weekends have been ridiculously busy, and we can't go out in the week after work.

Out this weekend though, leaving ours early and heading to box hill :)

Bendy Ben wrote:Im living on my bike now

Well don't you colossal tit. LIGHT USE. Not out on it every day, you need to be fixed for france.

Abuse over, carry on
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby IronMorg » 17 Apr 2012 19:02

interesting you should mention getting out on the bike...

http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com ... ng-inside/

read this today; seems the pros are starting to use the turbo alot more. I was doing everything turbo up until a couple of weeks back and helped obviously but as ben said nothing beats being out there. Plus the only way you will get used to the cleats is by simply using the nbike outdoors.... a couple of times falling over whilst connected to the bike usually beats it out of you.... well it did me ;) :D

good luck Mrs JB!
2015 season
22nd March - Ashby20
26th April - The London Marathon
13th September - The Great North Run
4th October - Chester Marathon
IronMorg
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby scibby » 17 Apr 2012 19:25

Top work Laura. Agree, needs lots more bike, less body combat and stuff. Get out of your comfort zone...

When you riding this weekend??? Sat/Sun/time? Might leave from mine and try and meet you there (subject to weather)
15/06. Windsor Sprint
2-7/07. Les Stables
03/08. Guildford Sportive. 100km
06/09. Sundowner Sprint. Needs BAT approval
28/09. Hever Olympic
12/10. Malta Champs? Needs BAT approval.
scibby

Postby Jack Hughes » 18 Apr 2012 08:29

I don't mind the body combat - only one session per week - if done well it could be a half way decent s&c session.

Would be interested in knowing what Mrs JB's objectives are for the HM?
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby wannabetri » 18 Apr 2012 09:24

Agree with Jack. Bit of cross-training will be good for Laura. Knowing Bodycombat and Bodyattack they can be pretty gruelling and include a lot of conditioning elements. I say carry on.

Think both Chappers and I spent 80% of our bike time in the build up to IMAZ on the turbo. You get so much more quality that way, particularly when living in fairly central london. Location means it's probably easier for you to get out on the road, but if you have an hour to do - turbo. Less faff, less stop-starts. Long rides - hit the roads.

Jellybaby wrote:Well don't you colossal tit. LIGHT USE. Not out on it every day, you need to be fixed for france.
or Mrs JB will definitely beat you at everything.
27/05 Nuffield OD; 09/06 Manc 50m TT; 10/06 Barton Marina OD; 30/06 Manc 50m TT; 01/07 Outlaw IM Swim; 14/07 - 3km OW Marlow; 15/07 Marlow OD; AG LD World Champs 29/07; Club relays 25+26/08;
wannabetri
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Postby Mrs Jellybaby » 18 Apr 2012 10:26

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Yep Ben/Scibby/Morg - I totally agree I need to get out on the road. I need to get use to the cleats and riding properly, but as James says it's not always easy where we live. But yes no excuses! We're going early Saturday morning (and we do actually mean early this time!!) - so from Croydon to Box Hill, a loop or two, and back. Anyone is welcome to join us!

Craig/Jack - I agree about body combat/attack being bloody hard! I'm literally sweating buckets when I finish, and it seems really good for my overall fitness/core/strength. But as I ramp up swimming/cycling I'll probably have to cut it back I think. Equally I'm finding turbo really good for hard sessions and getting strength in my legs so will continue with that too.

Jack - you ask about objectives. Ummmmm firstly to complete it! (I know this sounds stupid but given how much I panicked in the last two open water triathlons this is a serious challenge for me!). Ideally would like to do the swim in around 50 mins (I know this is slow for a lot of you but I'm not finding my speed is increasing at all). Not sure yet about the bike time as I need to spend some more time assessing how quickly I can go. And for the run would be over the moon to do it in around 2hours.

I think JB did his first HIM in 8hrs30 and the second one around 6hrs30 so really that's what I've got to beat!!!!! :lol:
First ever triathlon ... DONE!
Now on to "operation beat JB in a race".
Mrs Jellybaby

Postby Jellybaby » 18 Apr 2012 11:20

Ahem, 8hrs20 and 6hrs26 thank you very much.

bugger, she's going to beat me
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Next

Return to Training Logs