Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Postby CCS » 23 Jan 2012 18:07

OK, so I am lying about the Fear bit…. and I think therein lies my problem this season. I just don’t get ’The Fear’. If I enter a race, then it’s ultimately for a bit of fun, and to see how I can do, so what’s there to be afraid of?

Plenty of self-loathing however… I am fat; eating and drinking far too much (might this possibly relate to being fat?); training very little; and really unfit.

I am really struggling with motivation at the moment. Did precisely zero hours training last week – sheer laziness; business trip to Germany; cold weather; warm house; chilled wine; couple of birthdays in the family – plenty of excuses. Part of the problem seems to be that I haven’t really got any new challenges for this year. In the last couple of seasons, I have gone longer (OD in 2010, then HIM last year) which gave me some sort of new target to aim for. The plan for this season, however, is to do basically more of what I have done before (mix of supersprint / OD / HIM). I know I can make the distances, and although I want to go faster, I am not really feeling enough motivation to really work for this. Endo captures all my training details, but I thought that perhaps setting things out in a log might help with the motivation / objective setting, and generally make some sense of what I am trying to do - so apologies if I am rambling.

So... planned events for 2012:
Fleet HM
Already thinking of a DNS for this - not doing enough running (and not enjoying what I am doing - though that may be a vicious circle), and suspect that my original sub 2hr objective is now in the realms of fantasy

Thames Turbo Race 2
Always like these races; babysitter planned, so a bit of a jolly with the BAT officer

Dorney Supersprints
A few folks from work are getting together to do this one. Hope to at least be able to preserve some dignity and beat most of the boys (bar the GB Age Grouper) on the bike

Windsor OD
A perennial favourite. Would really like to go sub 2:40

possi Thorpe OD

Thames Turbo Race 4

The Vit

Legs of Steel
Still want to make that elusive gold medal cutoff time - and training makes a perfect excuse for spending loads of time roaming the Surrey hills with Champ.

possibly a TT somewhere if I am feeling brave
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Re: Fear and (self-)Loathing in Surrey: CCS' training log

Postby Jack Hughes » 23 Jan 2012 18:19

Pah!

This is the year you should be setting some tough goals. You know where your strengths and weaknesses are. You've tried a variety of events.

You should be looking at some podium finishes - especially bike dominant ones. Maybe the tri star series?

Now, you really should have a crack at TTs. If you can crack that, your bike performance should increase. You've got the potential to pick up some prize money. Maybe not this season, but even so...
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby Tritans » 23 Jan 2012 18:36

Whoa, I'm sorry to hear about your lack of mojo, it's a horrible place to be.

I don't have any real answers other than to try and mix things up a bit, different routes, find a training partner, join a running club :o (I know, but it really has helped me and I think I hated running at least as much as you).

Here's one idea, organise a legs of steel training ride for the SE massive, this will; A- make you feel a lot better about where you are and B- provide you with plenty of entertainment. :D Just don't make it the WE of 19th Feb or 1st April :)

Also if the fear doesnt get to you why would you not do Fleet ?

Finally I though we had already established that the BCTTT cluster train were going to make a right horlicks of some poor unsuspecting cycle clubs' TT this year. I think this could turn out to be the highight of the year :lol:
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby CCS » 24 Jan 2012 09:57

So, I guess I need a plan (obviously in the loosest sense of the word) - and perhaps if I write it down, it will be harder to ignore.
Based on my tried and tested approach over the last couple of years, all the plans readily available in the interweb are far too complicated for me, so I shall again adpot the approach of fitting training into the spaces available in the rest of life (though this may be a bit harder this year, as perish the thought, I may need to focus a bit more on work, and spend more time on client site, so travelling may eat into the time available, and lunchtime training may be less feasible).

Anyway, I figure the plan looks something like this:
Monday: Run 5-10k ish - can be squeezed in at lunchtime if admin get their act together and get the office shower fixed
Tues: Turbo while BAT officer is out at judo in the pm
Wed: Swim (OW when weather permits; pool until then); long bike
Thurs: Run - intervals
Fri: Pilates; Bike brick
Sat: Long run (2 hrs to kill, stuck on the other side of Surrey while kids do judo)
Sun: Swim (TI drills under the cover of darkness - since an empty pool is really needed to be able to do these successfully)

There - now I should be less able to ignore this.
CCS

Postby CCS » 24 Jan 2012 21:58

Tritans wrote:Also if the fear doesnt get to you why would you not do Fleet ?

Because I am lazy and don't like running?
Also there is a great temptation if I have an exit pass to do the Woking sportive, which I have discovered is also that day.
Actually, I suppose I had better just man up and get running again...
CCS

Postby CCS » 24 Jan 2012 22:01

So, I thought I would do a weeky log of where I get to with training...

w/c 23 Jan
Mon: Run 5.83k (34:35)
Horrible. Too close to lunch - or wrong lunch? Had to stop and walk, as I thought I was going to be sick, and as this was my round the block route at school pickup time, far to many people I know passing by to let that happen!
Tues: Turbo (Sufferfest Angels) 25.63k (1:01:19)
Actually really enjoyed this. Taking out the day's frustrations of Virgin Media and their flaky broadband service.
Wed: Swim 2250m (52:38)
1500m for WInterswim time - 30:04 - so actually a faster pace than the 800 I timed the other week !? Definitely got one pace-itis. Then 750m of drills. Not sure how helpful winterswim is for me - or perhaps it's just been that it has been difficult to get to the pool over the Xmas period. The ridiculous swim to france and back challenge certainly got me to the pool more last year - though that may jusst be a state of mind thing.
Turbo (Sufferfest Revolver) 19.83k (47:36) - really wanted to skip this - but too damp to fancy going out on the bike, and used it as a means of avoiding domestic chores... feeling much better for forcing myself to do it.
Thurs: Run intervals. 6 * 400m @ 13kph
This is always going to be the difficult session to motivate myself to do. I know that many frown on using the treadmill, but for my level of incompetence, it helps! I am rubbish at keeping a pace in the real world, and at least in the treadmill, I know that if I don't go fast enough, I will fall off the back, and everyone will laugh at me.
Today's session was motivated by a feeling that I have been under house arrest waiting for virgin media engineers to come and not fix our cable/broadband (4 visits so far this week, and it still doesn't work properly!)
Really unfit - kind of wanted to do 8 reps, but there just wasn't enough there, so thought 6 more sensible (who am I kidding - I just don't like to hurt, so I always stop).
Not sure this feast or famine approach to training is quite sensible - need to try and keep the momentum up.
Fri:Pilates (1hr). Must get back to doing this regularly - always feel so much better afterwards.
Not quite sure how the rest of the day will pan out - waiting for virgin media engineer AGAIN. Might as well get one to move in with us, the amount of time I spend waiting for them!
Turbo (Sufferfest Fight Club - my favourite) 24.66k (59:40) - managed to squeeze this in, but no time to follow up with a run - need to whizz across town and collect small child from gymnastics...
Sat: Run 13.06k (1:25.58). Spent a lot of this run pondering how much I hate running and working out what bits of me were hurting (arch of left foot; left arse/hamstring; most of right leg; top of right foot) but after about 45 mins, had manage to settle into a steady plod which I could quite happily have kept going for longer. Did an out and back leg which I hadn't tried before - quite hilly, but kept thinking that I should just go to the top of the next hill... and one hill disappeared after another. Feeling much happier - though really stiff now - waiting in chilly school hall for kids to finish judo, then 30 min drive home probably not great. Off for a hot bath now.
Sun: Swim 2400m (58:05). Loads of l/r/catcgup/fs drills... mainly as it took me about 1000m to calculate what distance my planned nmber of lengths made... seem unable to swim and multiply number of lengths by length of pool at the same time (had thought I was doing 300m... when I had been going for 30 mins, I finally realised calculations had gone wrong somewhere). Also did a 400m to see what sort of pace I am at... probably about the same as this time last year - more work required.
CCS

Postby Jack Hughes » 24 Jan 2012 22:17

Don't think I haven't noticed you ignoring my suggestions.

Tristar111 29 July, Milton Keynes (1km swim/100km cycle/10km run)

Tou've got to fancy that.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby CCS » 24 Jan 2012 22:33

Jack Hughes wrote:Don't think I haven't noticed you ignoring my suggestions.

Not ignoring... just digesting... if fact did order a CTT handbook today so that I can look for local TTs and hopefully even enter one...
Tristar is tempting - though pricey, which is slightly contra to my new economical 2012 personna... will digest further!
CCS

Postby Tritans » 25 Jan 2012 17:54

CCS wrote:
Tritans wrote:Also if the fear doesnt get to you why would you not do Fleet ?

Because I am lazy and don't like running?
Also there is a great temptation if I have an exit pass to do the Woking sportive, which I have discovered is also that day.
Actually, I suppose I had better just man up and get running again...

Three very good reasons.
One who wants to do something, will find a way.
One who doesn't, will find an excuse.

Confucius
Tritans
Was married, is now single due to amount of time on here

Postby CCS » 30 Jan 2012 07:58

So, a quick review of the week:
Pretty much managed everything I had set out to do (with the exception of the run part if a brick session). Guess it's the trouble with fitting a training plan around the spaces in the rest of life: those spaces often get filled up with other things. I would generally expect not to manage one or two of the sessions each week - all a bit dependent on what's going on with work/kids.
Still struggling with motivation - but setting things down in writing seems to be helping a bit. Let's see if I can keep it up for another week?
CCS

Next

Return to Training Logs