Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Sonofsammo's training log Year 2

Postby sonofsammo » 10 Oct 2011 15:48

Well that's it. Decision made. I'm in.
IMWales, September 16th 2012.
DNF = Do Not Fail.
So I won't, not this time.
I have realised from reading facebook, my blog, my training diary etc... that I made a few mistakes last year.. (a few???!!!).
These will be addressed.
Goal 1 - Prior to Christmas - Decrease lardage. Weight after IMWales 211lbs. Current weight 206lbs - target weight 185lbs.
Goal 2 - Build a decent base. Strictly speaking I suppose, that's what last year was to a degree. Need to consolidate what I've started.
Goal 3 - Use between now and January to sort a decent programme, with room for adaptation as necessary.
Goal 4 - Set out priority races/events leading up to Wales
Goal 5 - Get bike fit enough by February that the turbo torment doesn't murder me.
Goal 6 - Continue to raise the profile of Get Beatrice Mobile :D and raise lots of pennies!

Another goal for me personaly is to start enjoying this all again.
I've done DNF. I've done DNS.
The future is DNE :D

http://www.justgiving.com/getbeatricemobile
sonofsammo

Blog: View Blog (51)

Re: Sonofsammo vs. The Dragon

Postby TRIumphant » 11 Oct 2011 09:08

sonofsammo wrote:Another goal for me personaly is to start enjoying this all again.

This has got to be the main goal, if you achieve this one then the others will be so much easier.

Ride the hills, and into the wind. You just need to be comfortable on the bike, happy on the hills, both up and down, and with the wind. If there is an easy option or a hard option, take the hard option. It's a tough race, but do'able, you just need to train specifically for the course.
June IronMan UK 70.3
July Challenge Vitoria
September IronMan Wales
TRIumphant
Clearly spends too much time on forum

Postby andyb99 » 11 Oct 2011 11:30

sonofsammo wrote:Well that's it. Decision made. I'm in.
IMWales, September 16th 2012.
DNF = Do Not Fail.
So I won't, not this time.
I have realised from reading facebook, my blog, my training diary etc... that I made a few mistakes last year.. (a few???!!!).
These will be addressed.
Goal 1 - Finish and get my Medal/tattoo

edited that for you.....with the ONLY goal that matters.
(perhaps with the exception of raising money for Beatrice.)

As Gary says...make friends with your bike and make even better friends with hills....no point doing 70 miles ride if its all flat...you're better doing 40 miles on hills...in fact...forget the data go back to basics....your avg speed on a training ride doesnt matter and if you get fixated on it you'll choose flatter rides to get it higher...so if its not hilly where you live....instead of a 3 hour flat ride....drive for 30 minutes....do 2 hours in the hills and drive for 30 minutes home. you have to make it work for you.

we'll be there to support this time
andyb99

Postby sonofsammo » 11 Oct 2011 15:34

Will very much be hill hunting this coming year.... Lots!
Am thinking of investing in some kind of garmin, so I can ride routes in hills when I'm on my own and have some idea of which way to go! (Would like to download the route for the Big G, cos it's not entirely dissimilar to Wales and is on ly 40 miles away!).....
May have to do the UK course a few times too I think.
And the peaks will definitely be seeing more of me.
And I'm fairly sure that someone, somehwere in the Dales has access to some hills.....
In the meantime:
First run done - 5.05 miles in 57 mins. HR showed quite high (over 160!), which can't be right for my speed or RPE).
At least it's done.
Am thinking of a half marathon in January so that I have a shorter term goal to focus on (cos running really helps get rid of weight for me!).

sonofsammo

Postby andyb99 » 11 Oct 2011 18:27

my thinking too there big fella...although i think i'm gonna do the haweswater half which is in March...very low key...tough but very scenic run....i might even chuck myself into the manchester marathon in april...just to give me some focus on runs.

forget satnav on your bike mate....they are more of a hindrance.....just learn a few routes that are tough and stick to em...we'll be out on the uk loop many many times so you are always welcome to do the friday/sat thing we mentioned or just rock up early on a saturday morning and come with us....i'll join ya in the dales a few times too and i think we're gonna do the long weekend ,probably just swim (for a laugh)and ride...so plenty of opportunities if we plan it all right (mick can show us up that winnats thing too...have a crack at that!!!)
andyb99

Postby Big_Show » 11 Oct 2011 21:22

I can recommend the Haweswater Half, good tough hilly run but beautiful scenery to distract you from the burning legs!
Big_Show

Postby sonofsammo » 13 Oct 2011 06:58

By beautiful scenery, ou mean big hills..... :lol: will have a look!
As is usual i have spent the week not sleeping, dealing with ill kids and finally getting ill myself.
Bugger.

sonofsammo

Postby Jellybaby » 13 Oct 2011 10:50

Look up the Maffetone method and use that HR. For IMCH I stuck exactly to my HR and it got me round fine (ok, so it went up a bit on hills, but my average for the race was exactly 156 (max is 209). It's really slow at first (like just above walking pace), but as you get fitter you get faster for the same HR. I was really sceptical to start with but a very experienced mate told me to stick with it and it worked a treat!
2012 plans: tbc

Current holder of the Southern Riviera Playboys Best Tan Award (or something like that)
Jellybaby

Postby ris » 13 Oct 2011 12:39

i used maffetone last winter and it seemed to do me ok. i'll probably do the same this year.
most disturbing in lycra, 2010, 2012, 2013
club champ 2015
ris

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby sonofsammo » 13 Oct 2011 13:11

From reading the posts to ordering the book - 60s..... Scary!

sonofsammo

Next

Return to Training Logs