SickBoy's Training Log - All killer no filler.

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: SickBoy's Training Log

Postby SickBoy » 11 Feb 2014 00:30

Cheers! It was a good kick start. I think it did me good. I guess I need to do another FTP test but I might put that off and do some of the videos I found tough, like the hunted and see if I can gauge improvement. Because I don't like the FTP tests and am lazy.

Tri season has started here, at least the winter ones which have XC skiing and snowshoe running. Maybe not for me right now...

I will wait for Summer, there are some small scale, local Montreal based events, a big one on the F1 track in Sept. I think most summer tris are non wetsuit! It gets hot.

The dream race is IM Mt. Tremblant or more likely the 70.3 but that sold out really quick. Maybe 2015, have to see how much time I can devote to training!

Sent from Canada using my Nexus 4

Globally dominating Canada
SickBoy

Postby kfjatek » 11 Feb 2014 06:52

SickBoy wrote: I don't like the FTP tests and am lazy.

He will do well here. Oh yes he will. :D

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby CCS » 11 Feb 2014 10:34

SickBoy wrote: I don't like the FTP tests and am lazy.

+1 for that!!
Good work on the tour!
Talking to myself and feeling old
CCS

Postby SickBoy » 25 Feb 2014 19:07

(Finally found a little time to wrap this up).

So the final weekend of the tour, two workouts left, Blender and Violator, neither of which are what I would consider my sort of session.

Blender is a long stage, but mostly under threshold to begin with, it's just after that easing in that it goes into a bunch of sprints and then threshold blocks - looking at the profile it really is a weird looking workout.

Stage 8 - Blender

It hurts to climb onto the trainer - not just legs but my arms and shoulders are starting to suffer, it's almost more work having to hold myself up than pedal.

Don't have the video for this stage, didn't get around to DLing it so decide to have some music on instead which I think works pretty well. Considering I have in the past spent large portions of Sufferfest sessions not looking at the video, or even listening to it, perhaps this is the way forward!

Keeping things at 100% the first section of the session is pretty easy, I'm apprehensive of the sprints that start at the hour mark, during the recovery just before my HR comes right back down to around 130 and I feel good enough that I ramp up a little before the sprints start. As they come around I'm able to meet all the targets, it's a good workout IIRC, the intervals and recovery seemed to be timed just right for me, not too little, not too much. Just 3 x 4 mins at FTP to go, looking back at the TR trace I was working hard, good cadence 95rpm, power and HR both in the threshold range. 90min power record too!

My note to self after: "Not really sure how I managed this, but I did! Must be the more you do the easier it gets, like training or something!"

It's nice as it's Sat to have got this done in the afternoon - means I'll be able to spend the evening doing something other than looking at my stem

Stage 9 - Violator

So here we are, the final stage and nothing is going to stop me now. Sunday evening, the day has been spent out at the Fete des Neiges over at Parc Jean Drapeau, mostly hauling the kids up a hill to slide down on big inflatable rubber tubes, a fun day out if not ideal preparation. We had figured on just spending the morning out but it ended up being most of the day so here I am with just over an hour of the craziest looking workout I've ever seen. Lots of short efforts - I used to think I was good at riding tempo for long blocks and rubbish at this sort of thing but perhaps I'm wrong. Anyway have a look at the profie but there are basically intervals that drop slightly in intensity but increas in duration, you do a block and then the same again but with less recovery.

The first lot is easy because it feels there is masses of recovery between each. I'm even ramping up before each sprint so that I'm at the power level when the interval starts, hitting 450W+ at 100-110 RPM. My HR doesn't even get up very high in the tail end of the first block as each sprint is short.

2nd block is harder but I'm still hitting the targets, 3rd block is just crazy, 5 seconds sprint, 5 seconds recovery, it's hard just to manage what you're supposed to be doing, there's not enough time to transition from sprinting to spinning, gearing has to stay pretty much the same and cadence starts going up and down. The whole thing is a bit of a blur but I just about get through it, not quite reaching the power targets like before, HR is right up around 175 and has no time to recover, it almost works out as a 4 min block rather than 16 sprints. I almost lose it right in the middle but manage to pull it together as the timings get a little less intense, 10 sec sprint 10 sec recover - like I've said before it's easier to handle when you can see there's only a few short efforts left, and the tour itself provided me with a lot of motivation.

The 5 min w/d feels like it's taking forever and I just want to get off the bike but it's a great feeling at the end knowing I've finished it all. Knowing that I am one of less than 1500 people who did this and that over 1000 dropped out

Tour Summary...

A new FTP record to start, over 1000 TSS for the week and 12 hours of training

S1 - Rubber Glove - 1:00:09 - TSS: 73 - NP: 209

S2 - ISLAGIATT - 1:56:39 - TSS: 142 - NP: 209

S3 - Revolver - 0:45:38 - TSS: 77 - NP: 246

S4 - Hell Hath No Fury - 1:11:59 - TSS: 104 - NP: 228

S5 - Extra Shot - 0:22:25 - TSS: 36 - NP: 240

S5 - The Wretched - 0:49:28 - TSS: 71 - NP: 227

S6 - A Very Dark Place - 0:50:49 - TSS: 80 - NP: 238

S7 - Angels - 1:04:43 - TSS: 94 - NP: 228

S7 - The Hunted - 1:01:29 - TSS: 87 - NP: 226

S8 - Blender - 1:44:27 - TSS: 142 - NP: 221

S9 - Violator - 1:08:31 - TSS: 94 - NP: 222

SickBoy

Postby jonathon.e » 25 Feb 2014 20:45

Great going, given the current weather in Canada, have you considered cross country skiing to raise the endurance ?
Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.
jonathon.e

Blog: View Blog (17)

Postby Jack Hughes » 25 Feb 2014 20:49

Very well done. Even though that reads like a track listing from a Judas Priest album.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby SickBoy » 26 Feb 2014 23:44

Thanks all! Winter sports next year maybe, it's a bit late to go out and get the kit for it now. Riding outside is going to be a real novelty when it happens again!

SickBoy

Postby kfjatek » 27 Feb 2014 00:18

SickBoy wrote:Thanks all! Winter sports next year maybe, it's a bit late to go out and get the kit for it now. Riding outside is going to be a real novelty when it happens again!

If you know you'll be there next year and you'll want to try wintersports, now may actually be a fantastic time to buy gear - some great deals to be had normally after the season.

:ugeek:
2015:
26/04 Southampton 10k
30/05 Sieraków Triathlon
21/06 Dambuster Triathlon
29/08 Club Relays
27/09 Hever Triathlon
kfjatek
Spends a divorce inducing amount of time on forum

Postby SickBoy » 18 Mar 2014 22:40

Stroke rate.

So my new toy is a poolmate and I've had a couple of goes with it. Since it's counting strokes for me I thought I'd take a look at my stroke rate. Plugged what I was doing into the calculator at swim smooth and came out on the border or in the low range. I suspected as much. I don't think I'm an over glider but I didnt think I had a fast strike rate however the calculator had. Me around 50 spm and after reading in the post about breathing the other day I thought I'd try to up it and see the result.

So it was surprisingly hard, to increase the rate, by rough calcs I got up to 54 to 57 spm but there was a good drop off on my times. At first I thought higher sr would be bad as I'd end up doing morenper length?

Anyway today I got in and did a 6:28 400 followed by a 3:07 200 with little recovery and a busy lane. I think this is going to get me back to a sub 3 200m. Might try the stroke ramp test to find a good rate.

Too much over thinking technique recently perhaps ans not enough speed.

A guy I used to swim with always said try to swim faster and you will. Perhaps the was right!

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

Postby SickBoy » 15 Apr 2014 01:57

Winter is finally ending so it's nearly time to start training outside. If the weather is OK this weekend I might get out on the bike. Either take my road bike off to Mont Royal or my TT bike out to the Giles Villeneuve circuit. I can't wait to get outside even if it feels like I'll have to learn to ride again. Been a bit slack on turbo sessions after finishing the tour, there's been a lot of stuff getting in the way and have been massively fatigued due to kids working on me getting less than 7 hours broken sleep most nights. Just getting over a cold as a result of that.

Going to enter my first race this week. The Valleyfield tri. It's a sprint and it's not until August! There's a sprint/SD a few weeks after that and then in Sept a race with all the distances, so a choice to make about what to race.

Currently tempted to pencil in IM Mont Tremblant for 2015 even though I think it's probably a bad idea. I always thought I wanted to find time to give it my best shot but I might try to just complete one to get started or get it out of my system.

Could be interesting as I have the opportunity to do a very scenic IM while I'm out here... Having flashbacks to my HIM run though. Don't think 5 hours a week is going to cut it for LD racing, well perhaps enough to get around.... After all I've seen what Mick can do and there are lunchtime Badminton games at Ubisoft. By 2015 I'll be ready for anything!

Entering a race will hopefully provide some good motivation!

Envoyé de Montréal

SickBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs