chappers' IMAZ training log

Create a new topic for yourself here and keep a record of your training, weight loss, goals etc.

Re: chappers' IMAZ training log

Postby chappers » 03 Nov 2011 19:28

Thursday 3rd Nov

Sports massage at lunch.. yeowch

Eve: swim 400w/u, 4x50, 3x100, 2x800
No? Tough. We're doing it.
chappers
Spends enough time on forum to incur WAT/HAT/BAT/GAT comments

Blog: View Blog (54)

Postby chappers » 04 Nov 2011 19:29

Friday 4th Nov

Wattbike angels (run replacement). High HR (reaching 90% on last 8min climb). Legs feeling surprisingly good.

Eve: swim (200w/u, 10x100, 200 w/d drills)

Saw the physio this morning who just happens to be a tri coach (and won his AG at new forest middle as it goes!).. all clear to run but just be sensible. Woohoo :-) 30min easy run off the bike tomorrow and if that's ok, then 1hr easy on Sunday.
chappers

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Nov 2011 08:26

Hmmmm. "be sensible". Hmmmm.

Still think more healing would be better.

You are basically doing three weeks of running, 8 weeks of injury, and repeat. (I may have the numbers wrong, but it isn't far off)

30 min easy run on Saturday.

And if all goes well another THIRTY minute run no sooner than MONDAY.
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby chappers » 05 Nov 2011 09:54

Hmm.. you have a fair point and as far as running for IMAZ, you're right. However (and I'm going to sound a bit defensive here) the 3/8/3 is a bit black and white as they were different injuries.

The first big one this year (aside from the stress fracture that put me out of the Paris marathon) was ITB syndrome. That's being managed and will be k-taped on the day so not so concerned about that.

Breaking a rib at Helvellyn wasn't a training injury and was just a case of HTFU and train where I could. Commuting with a backpack, turbo on aerobars etc.with a broken rib was pretty painful and maybe not sensible under normal circumstances as healing time was probably lengthened, but it was a compromise I was willing to work through. That's all sorted now and swimming is back to near where it was.

Mortons isn't an injury and I have a way to manage that on the day - ibuprofen and HTFU.

The current foot issue is of course the big one. I know I'm not gaining anything CV wise by running at this stage. Cycling has more than compensated using a few sessions simulating HR on hard runs. It's now a case of bargaining with my body - hence taking it easy on the run. Having my last long run four weeks out is prob not the best prep so I feel I need to keep my legs ticking over, more psychological than anything, but not to be discounted where IM is concerned. It's typically the fast pace that does the damage as I end up on my toes more than usual. Awesome feeling but like all things, too much of a good thing is bad for you. The other problem is that I need to run to keep my system flushed out as I historically I find I get terrible runners stomach after long lay offs.

The reason for all the injuries is probably not enough sleep for the volume I've been putting in. I get maybe 6-7 hours a night and weekly volume is around 18 hrs. Though saying that, it's been a long season.. 4 HIMs this year and straight into IM training. The off season is going to be fantastic - just in time for xmas excess :-)
chappers

Postby chappers » 05 Nov 2011 19:00

Saturday 5th Nov

Last big brick: turbo (5.5hrs) Hardcore100 but at 5% lower avg HR (65%) than last week - definately felt a lot easier! Short 30min run afterwards - easy pace (72% avg @ 7:30min/miles). No twinges from my foot, so I have my fingers firmly crossed and an ice pack on out of precaution. As I thought, I got a bout of joggers stomach after almost exactly 30mins.. need to do more running in the build up to clear the system (sorry).

The run was v encouraging in that it didn't feel hard at all, though only 4.5miles. Has given me a huge confidence boost after the two week layoff and I now don't feel under pressure to run over an hour before the race.
chappers

Postby Jack Hughes » 05 Nov 2011 21:09

Don't take too much notice of me! No need to be defensive. I just don't want you to break!
Omnia Vanitas

Immortal (for a limited tme).
Jack Hughes

Postby chappers » 06 Nov 2011 07:40

Good, sound advice though :-)
chappers

Postby chappers » 06 Nov 2011 16:39

Sunday 6th Nov

1hr run, v easy pace (70% HRavg @ 7:30min/mile). Foot felt fine and was going to do 1.5hrs but had a sharp pain on the end of my toe like a toe nail digging in, stopped to check it out but no sign of a sore, still not worth pushing it at this stage.(prob a joint thing not too worried).1hr on the turbo after at 63% building to 70%. So that's it, taper time now... woohoo!!!
chappers

Postby chappers » 07 Nov 2011 13:32

Monday 7th Nov

nasty swim set: 200w/u, 200kick, 200pull, 20x100 (even/odd of 100 sprint, 100 stretchout, no rest between), 200w/d

for me this swim set always sounds worse than it is and I end up putting it off a fair bit, but I'm always glad I finish it. Though I don't have to do it again before IM :-) yey!
chappers

Postby chappers » 09 Nov 2011 07:45

Tuesday 8th Nov

1hr15m turbo. 10min w/u @63% (140-150W), 4x45s progressive (68%, 73%, 78%, 83%, 30s recovery between), 2x20min steady effort (first at 270W @ 84%, second at 255-260W @ 81%, last min at 315W, 8min recovery between).10min w/d. Almost barfed on the first 20mins so backed off a bit on the second :lol:
chappers

PreviousNext

Return to Training Logs